Hardware New 3DS XL top screen suddenly washed out and pixelated

Charganium

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Today I put my 3DS into sleep mode and set it down on a (cushioned) chair. When I opened it back up the top screen was faded and washed out. The rows of pixels are more obvious as well. It looks sort of like if the original GBA screen was backlit. In addition, it is slightly darker at the corners, and when the screen first lights up black when booting, you can see a faint imprint of the home menu display. Could this have been caused by entering sleep mode while in emuNAND? What else could've caused it? It looks like it suffered blunt force trauma or something but it didn't. Is it fixable? Can Nintendo themselves fix it? Will they update my system if they do?

I have attached some pictures. They aren't very good but you can clearly see the color difference. IMG_20160128_204940.jpg IMG_20160128_205107.jpg

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Could this have been caused by entering sleep mode while in emuNAND? What else could've caused it? It looks like it suffered blunt force trauma or something but it didn't. Is it fixable? Can Nintendo themselves fix it? Will they update my system if they do?
1) no
2) defective hardware. it happens, sadly.
3) sure, I guess they can replace the screen.
4) yes, they always do

tigerfrost

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Strange, depending on the age and usage of the handheld it could be the following .

1. a loose ribbon on the motherboard, there are 2 of these from the top display connecting to the motherboard and i have seen some that have not been making a connection causing this issue, a defective ribbon.

2. Screen fade caused by defective LCD, a rare instance and should be reported back to Nintendo if its still under warranty.

3. Water or moisture damage, this can be caused by hot and cold environments extreme conditions.

Has your 3ds been open before ? has it ever been subjected to water ?

Charganium

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) no
2) defective hardware. it happens, sadly.
3) sure, I guess they can replace the screen.
4) yes, they always do

Are there any reputable non-Nintendo-affiliated places to get the screen replaced?

Strange, depending on the age and usage of the handheld it could be the following .

1. a loose ribbon on the motherboard, there are 2 of these from the top display connecting to the motherboard and i have seen some that have not been making a connection causing this issue, a defective ribbon.

2. Screen fade caused by defective LCD, a rare instance and should be reported back to Nintendo if its still under warranty.

3. Water or moisture damage, this can be caused by hot and cold environments extreme conditions.

Has your 3ds been open before ? has it ever been subjected to water ?

Only to remove the SD card, but I use it for a couple hours each day and my hands can get pretty sweaty.

Helpful if the images aren't UPSIDEDOWN

Not really

tigerfrost

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Are there any reputable non-Nintendo-affiliated places to get the screen replaced?

Only to remove the SD card, but I use it for a couple hours each day and my hands can get pretty sweaty.

Not really

There is no way you can tell unless you open the 3ds and have a look at the ribbons connecting to the motherboard.
If its still under warranty i would send it to them for repair OR take it back to the shop you bought it from.

porko

Trophies
XP
Country
the cable is the first suspect, more so because it happened just as you closed/opened the lid.

the good news is that it's easy to open up and inspect the cables.

flipping the pic would help, our brains would see it more clearly imo, especially since we're all used to seeing the home screen!

porko

Trophies
XP
Country
it's easier to see now, the difference seems pretty minimal... your description though, is clear enough.

have you tried opening it up to inspect the cables yet?

i have accidentally turned on the 3d before on my old regular 3ds, which made the top screen appear fuzzy, but since the xl has the notch this isn't very likely.

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Today I put my 3DS into sleep mode and set it down on a (cushioned) chair. When I opened it back up the top screen was faded and washed out. The rows of pixels are more obvious as well. It looks sort of like if the original GBA screen was backlit. In addition, it is slightly darker at the corners, and when the screen first lights up black when booting, you can see a faint imprint of the home menu display. Could this have been caused by entering sleep mode while in emuNAND? What else could've caused it? It looks like it suffered blunt force trauma or something but it didn't. Is it fixable? Can Nintendo themselves fix it? Will they update my system if they do?

I have attached some pictures. They aren't very good but you can clearly see the color difference.View attachment 37099 View attachment 37100

Looks like you have a TN screen.

Xoo00o0o0o

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To answer OPs question though, it does look like a failing LCD. If you're 3DS is out of warranty and you feel comfortable replacing the LCD/ribbon cables, I would do it because it is cheaper than buying a replacement 3DS in most cases. If you're still inside your warranty I would go ahead and send it to Nintendo, a broken 3DS with CFW is a lot less useful than a working 3DS with the newest firmware.

Sirius64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As others have said, looks similar to a loose or damaged ribbon cable. If it is a bad LCD, or the ribbon's damaged, and it's under warranty, I'd send it off. If they do update it, it's a freshly refurbished unit, and as such, worth a good chunk of change. You could put that money into getting a new unit with old firmware (Look into game bundles). Just make sure to backup your emuNAND.

If it's out of warranty, putting in a new LCD takes a while, but it isn't especially difficult.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.