New 3DS XL top screen suddenly washed out and pixelated

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Charganium, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Charganium
    OP

Charganium Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2015
    United States
    Today I put my 3DS into sleep mode and set it down on a (cushioned) chair. When I opened it back up the top screen was faded and washed out. The rows of pixels are more obvious as well. It looks sort of like if the original GBA screen was backlit. In addition, it is slightly darker at the corners, and when the screen first lights up black when booting, you can see a faint imprint of the home menu display. Could this have been caused by entering sleep mode while in emuNAND? What else could've caused it? It looks like it suffered blunt force trauma or something but it didn't. Is it fixable? Can Nintendo themselves fix it? Will they update my system if they do?

I have attached some pictures. They aren't very good but you can clearly see the color difference. IMG_20160128_204940.jpg IMG_20160128_205107.jpg

2. Aurora Wright

Aurora Wright GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 13, 2006
    Italy
    1) no
    2) defective hardware. it happens, sadly.
    3) sure, I guess they can replace the screen.
    4) yes, they always do

3. tigerfrost

tigerfrost Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2015
    Strange, depending on the age and usage of the handheld it could be the following .

1. a loose ribbon on the motherboard, there are 2 of these from the top display connecting to the motherboard and i have seen some that have not been making a connection causing this issue, a defective ribbon.

2. Screen fade caused by defective LCD, a rare instance and should be reported back to Nintendo if its still under warranty.

3. Water or moisture damage, this can be caused by hot and cold environments extreme conditions.

Has your 3ds been open before ? has it ever been subjected to water ?

4. James310

James310 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 4, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere in California
    ¡uʍop ǝpısdn ʇ,uǝɹɐ sǝɹnʇɔıd ǝɥʇ ɟı ןnɟdןǝɥ ǝq ןןıʍ ʇı

Last edited by James310, Jan 29, 2016
  5. Charganium
    OP

Charganium Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2015
    United States
    Are there any reputable non-Nintendo-affiliated places to get the screen replaced?

Only to remove the SD card, but I use it for a couple hours each day and my hands can get pretty sweaty.

Not really

6. tigerfrost

tigerfrost Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2015
    There is no way you can tell unless you open the 3ds and have a look at the ribbons connecting to the motherboard.
    If its still under warranty i would send it to them for repair OR take it back to the shop you bought it from.

7. porko

porko GBAtemp Regular

Jun 5, 2008
    the cable is the first suspect, more so because it happened just as you closed/opened the lid.

the good news is that it's easy to open up and inspect the cables.

flipping the pic would help, our brains would see it more clearly imo, especially since we're all used to seeing the home screen!

8. Lucar

Lucar Professional Ferret

Sep 12, 2015
    Canada
    New Donk City
    Re-Uploaded the Images rotated 180°.

image1.jpg image2.jpg

Sirius64 and bowser like this.
  9. Xexyz

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    沖縄県
    Arubaro likes this.
  10. porko

porko GBAtemp Regular

Jun 5, 2008
    it's easier to see now, the difference seems pretty minimal... your description though, is clear enough.

have you tried opening it up to inspect the cables yet?

i have accidentally turned on the 3d before on my old regular 3ds, which made the top screen appear fuzzy, but since the xl has the notch this isn't very likely.

11. funnystory

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    Looks like you have a TN screen.

12. Lucar

Sep 12, 2015
    Canada
    New Donk City
    TN?

13. Xoo00o0o0o

Xoo00o0o0o Xoo00o0o0o is in the house

Apr 23, 2009
    United States
    Dallas, TX
    Its just a cheap type of display tech that usually has high color shift when adjusted vertically and horizontally as well as very dull colors.

14. Lucar

Sep 12, 2015
    Canada
    New Donk City
    Ah. Thanks for the response.

15. Xoo00o0o0o

Xoo00o0o0o Xoo00o0o0o is in the house

Apr 23, 2009
    United States
    Dallas, TX
    To answer OPs question though, it does look like a failing LCD. If you're 3DS is out of warranty and you feel comfortable replacing the LCD/ribbon cables, I would do it because it is cheaper than buying a replacement 3DS in most cases. If you're still inside your warranty I would go ahead and send it to Nintendo, a broken 3DS with CFW is a lot less useful than a working 3DS with the newest firmware.

16. BothyBhoy

BothyBhoy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 27, 2015
    how the heck did you do that???? amazed!!!!....

17. Dartz150

Dartz150 GBATemp Official Lolicon Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    Can't see clearly what the problem is, the phots are so blurry.

18. Sirius64

Sirius64 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    As others have said, looks similar to a loose or damaged ribbon cable. If it is a bad LCD, or the ribbon's damaged, and it's under warranty, I'd send it off. If they do update it, it's a freshly refurbished unit, and as such, worth a good chunk of change. You could put that money into getting a new unit with old firmware (Look into game bundles). Just make sure to backup your emuNAND.

If it's out of warranty, putting in a new LCD takes a while, but it isn't especially difficult.