*NEW* 3DS XL - Should I upgrade?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by NEO-BAHAMUT-, Nov 9, 2016.

1. NEO-BAHAMUT-
    OP

NEO-BAHAMUT- GBAtemp Regular

May 22, 2013
    Hi All,

I've bought a brand new, new 3DS XL and its on Version 9.8.0-25E. I've also had an Sky3DS Plus card so i've been able to use a game exploit to get in to the home brew channel.

I have two issues that I would like feedback on.

1. The very first time I turned it on (3 days ago), it asks for your name and as I hit one of the buttons onscreen there was a piercing sound that started coming from the 3DS. I pressed another button and it changed the sound slightly but was still piercing. I had to physically hold the power button until it turned off to start again. After that happened it was fine.

2. Tonight it has happened again. - I was on an emulator (Retroarch) and it started doing the piercing noise again. I again had to power the 3DS off to get it to stop.

I guess what I'm asking is "Is this a software issue, where If I upgrade my 3DS to a newer firmware that this will stop happening or do you think it will be a hardware issue? If it is I can take it back to the shop and replace it.

Thanks

2. jaykureno

jaykureno GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2014
    Sounds like a hardware issue but if you want to update it make sure to setup a9lh first. you will be able to update whilst keeping the ability to use homebrew and other hax.

3. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    It sounds like a hardware issue honestly. I wouldn't risk an upgrade without installing A9LH first just to test this.

4. NEO-BAHAMUT-
    OP

NEO-BAHAMUT- GBAtemp Regular

May 22, 2013
    I've updated to the latest and greatest official firmware. Will see what happens and if the proble, happens again it's back to the shop.