Hardware New 3DS XL Housing swap

boomie0123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How hard is it to swap the housing on the New 3DS XL? I'm asking because I'm really interested in buying the JP Smash Bros variant of it, but, because the console is region locked, just swapping out the internals with a US N3DS XL of a regular color. Has anyone tried this before, and how difficult would it be to do providing I have the right tools to so it?

Edit: And by that, I mean buying two complete consoles. I'd assume that'd be easier considering that I would, theoretically, only have to swap the boards around.... right?

Reactions: Ralph1611

boomie0123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would, but I need this for my girlfriend's birthday. Was planning on getting her a US one in black, but the Smash Bros. variant looks so much better. She's not interested in using gateway, so I figured this would be easiest.

Plus with Cearp's way I'd need a US serial number to play online anyway.

Slushie3DS

Cold Beverage Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking at my 2DS's internals, and a few 3DS disassemble videos, I'd imagine it would be as simple as 1, 2, 3. Just remove the back-plate, disconnect any paper-thin wires, unscrew the motherboard, do the same to the other, put N3DS #1's motherboard into N3DS #2's shell, screw back in, reconnect paper-thin wires, and bam.

Then again, this is just an educated guess, so I suggest only doing this if she ABSOLUTELY must have it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Green name in chat :ninja: