1. ajfoucault

OP ajfoucault Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Hello everyone! Hope you're all doing well.

I recently purchased a New Nintendo 3DS XL Pikachu Edition, which came with dual TN displays. I then proceeded to buy a top and a bottom ips screens from eBay sellers that this individual recommends in his YouTube video (https://www.yout.ube.com/watch?v=JM980v7V66s).

I then took my New 3DS to a local shop and asked one of the guys if they could do the dual swap. I explained to him that even though both screens are in perfect working condition, I wanted them taken out, and the IPS that I brought them to be placed in their instead. He complied, gave me a quote of US$70.oo for the labor, and estimated that it would take a couple of days.

That was last Monday, Sept 25. On Friday, Sept. 29 one of the dudes from the store calls me at around 1pm, and asks me why I wanted to replace the top screen, since it was in perfect working condition. Mind you, this was a FULL FOUR DAYS that had gone by without them working on it. I then proceed to explain to him the same thing I had told his colleague, and how IPS looks much better, etc. He then says that there's no way to remove a certain cable from the top screen, without completely breaking it. I had told him that I needed the working parts that they take out, to be able to resell them on eBay, but after hearing that, I told him that it was okay, that he could break the cable, as long as the IPS screen that I had brought him was placed without any issues in the console, everything would be fine. At this point, I am questioning the dude's expertise in the matter, since I had seen a YouTube video of a woman replacing the top screen without damaging it whatsoever (https://www.yout.ube.com/watch?v=8ZGrG-GAPsA), but since it's almost been a week, and I just wanted my console, I didn't care and just told him to finish the job.

I called on Saturday, Sept. 30 at around 12pm (almost a whole day later) and the same dude picks up the phone. I ask about my New 3ds XL and he, kinda rudely, says that it's not done, and that they will call me when it's ready.

It's Monday already, it's been a whole week since I gave them the perfectly working device with all the parts (top and bottom IPS screens) to be replaced, and I still haven't heard from them.

I know the shop specializes in phone repairs and the such, but their website also mentioned console repairs and that's why I went with them. What should I do at this point? Keep waiting? I have the impression that the dude messed up something while trying to swap the screens, and now they had to order a replacement part for it.

EDITED: Added some dots to the YouTube URLs to stop them from automatically be formatted into videos when I post

Last edited by ajfoucault, Oct 2, 2017
  2. proflayton123

proflayton123 Sakura思い

Japan
    Personally I'd go back to the place and get back what is yours if they're delaying you and things.

Edit: depending on your region, there is a list of trusted hardmodders here, maybe one of them could help you with the changing of screen if they're able to do that.

Last edited by proflayton123, Oct 2, 2017
  3. invaderyoyo

invaderyoyo invader

United States
    Just get it back. He's lying about the cable. 70 bucks is way too much anyway.

anonynom likes this.
  4. MasterLel

MasterLel Cooonfusion of da highest orda

France
    just do it yourself, it's really not that hard

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Screen,