Hardware New 3DS XL doesn't charge, shuts off after a few seconds.

scionae

*clicking circles*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So, I’ve had my New 3DS XL in this state for a couple of years but only now I’m making a move to fix it myself. I was playing an emulator and my console was charging when all of a sudden it just shut off and never turned back on again. I tried with different batteries, chargers, outlets but nothing happened. Up until now, when I click the power button it does nothing but when I plug the charger in it just shows an orange light and nothing else, then it shuts itself off after 1-2 seconds. No popping sound, nothing. The screen isn’t cracked, the device was immaculate when I was using and all of a sudden it just stopped working all together. Also, the device won’t charge at all, not even with a battery inside. The orange light turns on then absolute silence, not even the screens turn on or anything like that, nothing else happens. What do I do? Is it a charging port issue?

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So is there anything I could do?
If you have the knowledge and tools, try checking the fuses on the motherboard and replacing them if you find any faulty ones, you can get replacement fuses for DS and 3DS systems from sellers on eBay.
Otherwise you could try taking the 3DS to some repair shop, or replace the entire motherboard.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

scionae

*clicking circles*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you have the knowledge and tools, try checking the fuses on the motherboard and replacing them if you find any faulty ones, you can get replacement fuses for DS and 3DS systems from sellers on eBay.
Otherwise you could try taking the 3DS to some repair shop, or replace the entire motherboard.
I'm going to try checking the fuses right now, hope I can do something and fix it thanks for the help thus far.

scionae

*clicking circles*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This is a photo I took before taking it further apart, both fuses work, what do I have to check now? @IC_ Are there any other fuses I should check? Maybe it's not that? I hope it's just a charging port issue..

urCOlAf.jpg

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's unlikely that this is a charging port issue, the orange light turning on only for a few seconds is the normal behavior when the system does not detect a battery. If both fuses are working then it's probably a fried power regulator. You can probably replace those if you can find the right replacement parts and if you have the tools to do that, but I don't know much about diagnosing and replacing those charging and power regulator chips, it's just the next most likely cause of the issue after bad charging/battery contacts and the fuses.
Also, if you tried multiple different batteries, have you tried a known working battery that was fully charged in another 3DS?

scionae

*clicking circles*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's unlikely that this is a charging port issue, the orange light turning on only for a few seconds is the normal behavior when the system does not detect a battery. If both fuses are working then it's probably a fried power regulator. You can probably replace those if you can find the right replacement parts and if you have the tools to do that, but I don't know much about diagnosing and replacing those charging and power regulator chips, it's just the next most likely cause of the issue after bad charging/battery contacts and the fuses.
Also, if you tried multiple different batteries, have you tried a known working battery that was fully charged in another 3DS?
Yes I did try that and it didn't work unfortunately, I'm gonna try and check on those power regulators right now and see if they're working (I hope I can test them with a multimeter), gonna update the post asap.
UPDATE: can't find anything related to power regulators and stuff like that, tried both on DuckDuckGo and Google but no relevant results came up

Last edited by scionae,

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This teardown mentions some of the specific chips: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+3DS+XL+2015+Teardown/36346#s81191
The smaller chip near the charging port is probably also responsible for some power regulation tasks. If you have another damaged New 3DS XL motherboard with working power regulators and a good soldering/hot-air station that could do the job, you could try swapping the parts from the donor board, but otherwise it's better and easier to just replace the entire motherboard.

scionae

*clicking circles*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This teardown mentions some of the specific chips: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+3DS+XL+2015+Teardown/36346#s81191
The smaller chip near the charging port is probably also responsible for some power regulation tasks. If you have another damaged New 3DS XL motherboard with working power regulators and a good soldering/hot-air station that could do the job, you could try swapping the parts from the donor board, but otherwise it's better and easier to just replace the entire motherboard.
I don't have another donor N3DS XL and the motherboards on ebay cost too much money for me right now, I think it's over unless some other advice pops up, thanks for the help anyway, much appreciated.

Last edited by scionae,
Reactions: IC_

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."