Hardware New 3DS XL C-Stick and ZL/ZR not working (everything else works)

neotil1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi guys, I’m fixing a n3DSXL and am almost finished (previous owner bent a bunch of connectors, so I either bent them back into shape or soldered new ones in place). The only issue that is left, is that the C-Stick and ZL/ZR are completely non-functional (tested on home screen and with 3DS-TEST).

Everything else works fine and I know the C-Stick and the shoulder buttons work fine in another 3DS (I also swapped over the power/button PCB and ribbon cable).

I’ve also had this same issue with a n3DS (non-XL), but wasn’t able to fix it and ended up swapping the motherboard. Does anyone know what the issue might be?

Thanks in advance!

neotil1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Update: Just did a CTRTransfer and update to the latest version, so I think I can rule out software issues, right?

AFAIK there aren't any schematics for 3DS consoles, so I'm starting to think this motherboard will go into the bin...

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Update: Just did a CTRTransfer and update to the latest version, so I think I can rule out software issues, right?

AFAIK there aren't any schematics for 3DS consoles, so I'm starting to think this motherboard will go into the bin...
Did you do the ctr transfer type D9 or just a ctr transfer?

neotil1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Did you do the ctr transfer type D9 or just a ctr transfer?

I'm guessing just a CTR Transfer, I don't know what a type D9 is :wacko:
I just followed Plailect's guide to CTR Transfer

EDIT: Just did some reading and it seems I did a regular ctrtransfer using Godmode9. Do you think a D9 ctrtransfer could fix my issue? I need to go to sleep now (5:30AM where I live) so I'll try that tomorrow. The only reason I'm thinking this might be a software issue is because all the "New" 3DS specific buttons aren't working. If this was just one, I'd immediately start looking for hardware issues.

Thanks so much for your help

Last edited by neotil1,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

neotil1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Thanks for the links! As I said though, the parts are definitely fine (swapped over from a working n3DSXL). I have a bunch of used working parts because I fix 3DS consoles often. This is an issue I'm not familliar with though.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the links! As I said though, the parts are definitely fine (swapped over from a working n3DSXL). I have a bunch of used working parts because I fix 3DS consoles often. This is an issue I'm not familliar with though.
Oh man. Sorry, I missed reading that part. I'm used to suggesting the A/B parts swapping trick even though people usually don't have a second unit model to do that. This time I went straight to thinking this was a simple parts swap repair job.

ZL, ZR, and C-Stick are New 3DS series only specific parts... Unless that New 3DS XL was hacked using the older A9LH method where it was downgraded and is still currently running on firmware 2.1.0 (really old 3DS firmware version with no support for those inputs), I think the previous owner damaging those connectors led to shorting whichever IC chip is responsible for those three.

From this thread, the ZL, ZR, and C-Stick are not remappable. This leads some credence these three don't share the same IC chip as the other buttons.

Maybe it's the I/O expander at step 14 marked in yellow?

That chip isn't found on the Old 3DS model.

You might have to write that n3DSXL off as a lost cause if having those buttons functional is really important to you. Then again, does everything else still works?

Reactions: E1ite007

neotil1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh man. Sorry, I missed reading that part. I'm used to suggesting the A/B parts swapping trick even though people usually don't have a second unit model to do that. This time I went straight to thinking this was a simple parts swap repair job.

ZL, ZR, and C-Stick are New 3DS series only specific parts... Unless that New 3DS XL was hacked using the older A9LH method where it was downgraded and is still currently running on firmware 2.1.0 (really old 3DS firmware version with no support for those inputs), I think the previous owner damaging those connectors led to shorting whichever IC chip is responsible for those three.

From this thread, the ZL, ZR, and C-Stick are not remappable. This leads some credence these three don't share the same IC chip as the other buttons.

Maybe it's the I/O expander at step 14 marked in yellow?

That chip isn't found on the Old 3DS model.

You might have to write that n3DSXL off as a lost cause if having those buttons functional is really important to you. Then again, does everything else still works?

Thanks so much for the links, I'll check them out and see if anything is replaceable (I have donor boards). Everything else works on the 3DS, so if I can't fix it I'll just use it as is. I don't really care about the C-Stick/ZL/ZR but I like having everything functional just in case :)

Anyways, thanks for your time and help. I'll report back if I find anything that fixed the issue.

neotil1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Quick update:

Today I tried swapping the I/O expander. I've gotten pretty good at soldering connectors, small (TQFP/QFN) chips, capacitors/resistors etc. over the years but BGA is a completely different story, obviously.
Well... Knowing the risk of breaking the board entirely, I just went for it and of course it went wrong :) Now the board doesn't power on at all (pops then shuts off, as if the displays weren't connected properly).

Conclusion: this board wanders from the "might be salvageable" to the "donor board" bin ;)
I might revisit this if I have some more time. I'll be keep you posted.

SrBoromir

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is interesting, there is a thread about the exact opposite, only the c stick and zl zr work, nothing else, so what do all the other inputs go through? Was this to maintain compatibility with original 3DS software?

packattack77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check the buttons and inputs again but this time on 3DSident-GUI. Press (START) + (SELECT) to open the buttons checker. Are the results any different?
I was having a problem where in game and on the system menu, none of the newer buttons worked. It did show they were functioning with the 3DSident. What should I do now?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended