Hacking New 3DS XL black screen weird issue... any help is welcome!

mvmiranda

OP
Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello Guys,
Good day to all!

Once again I come here seeking some advise or, maybe, a hint from someone who might have encountered the same weird issue.

I have this New 3DS XL a customer sent me saying the console started to shutdown all by itself. He said he was playing when it started and that was it.

When I turned the console on for the first time it did nothing but lighting the power on blue LED and, after some seconds, flashing the orange wi-fi LED. I have no screen and no sound.
If I hit the D-PAD or any button the console restarts.

What I did so far:
1) Did an Auto CTRNAND to 11.5 and used the 3DS restore menu to update to 11.9
2) replaced the ABXY power board
3) Cleaned the mainboard with IPA just for the sake of sanity.

So far I had no luck!

I'm putting here a video showing the error.

Any help or tip is welcome!

Thank you very much!

mvmiranda

OP
Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
You can try that, worse case contact @TurdPooCharger.

Well, I think I'm gonna wait a bit and see if @TurdPooCharger sees this thread and decides whether he would comment or not. :)
I know the Lazarus method is too "invasive" and I don't wanna to mess with this system's NAND too much!

Anyway, I appreciate your help in here!

Have a good one, man!

D

Deleted_413010

Well, I think I'm gonna wait a bit and see if @TurdPooCharger sees this thread and decides whether he would comment or not. :)
I know the Lazarus method is too "invasive" and I don't wanna to mess with this system's NAND too much!

Anyway, I appreciate your help in here!

Have a good one, man!

You can get authorization from the customer to see if he/she approves. Just trying to help.

Reactions: mvmiranda

mvmiranda

OP
Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
You can get authorization from the customer to see if he/she approves. Just trying to help.
Well, I already have it as he asked me to do whatever I must to try and get it back to a working condition... I just don't want to mess with this NAND so much.

I know the Lazarus will do some unorthodox things to your NAND (I helped AnalogMan151 beta test this) and one of them can cause your console to stop being able to play online :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nope. Lazarus is the worse case scenario.
He should try CTRTransfer with decrypt9 first.
Also, have you tried recovery mode (A+R+L+Up(DPad))?
Yup!
I did CTRTransf alone, CTRTransf + recovery mode, you name it! :)
Thx for the tip though!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm here. I do not recommend Decrypt9 version of CTRTransfer. While it is effective, the app does not backup and restore certain important files.

If the built-in CTRTransfer from GodMode9 doesn't work, use instead the gm9 script CTRTransfer (Type D9) - don't forget to read the instructions.

mvmiranda

OP
Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm here. I do not recommend Decrypt9 version of CTRTransfer. While it is effective, the app does not backup and restore certain important files.

If the built-in CTRTransfer from GodMode9 doesn't work, use instead the gm9 script CTRTransfer (Type D9) - don't forget to read the instructions.
yeah, I used Decrypt9... Well!
I'll give it a shot to GodMode9... sit tight folks! :)
brb!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, I used Decrypt9... Well!
I'll give it a shot to GodMode9... sit tight folks! :)
brb!
Sigh, shit... At this point, forget about using CTRTransfer (Type D9).

If you used Decrypt9, the damage is already done.
  • Your hardware calibration files have been erased and now your screens will looks off. HWCAL0.DAt and HWCAL1.DAt are deleted and replaced with dummy versions.
  • Except for movable.sed, configsave.bin, LocalFriendCodeSeed_B, and SecureInfo_A/B, all your NAND user profile are deleted.
    • This is like reformatting the system memory. This only matters if you have personal stuff like friend list.
  • These two console unique dbs files such as ticket.db and certs.db are conditionally irreplaceable. (ie, how important they are to you).
    • Tickets - For legitimate purchases at Nintendo eShop.
    • Certificates - ?? Not quite sure how this affects access to online services like online game play.
You might be able to retrieve copies of the HWCAL0.DAt and HWCAL1.DAt if GodMode9 backed them up at [S:] SYSNAND VIRTUAL/essential.exefs.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

mvmiranda

OP
Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Sigh, shit... At this point, forget about using CTRTransfer (Type D9).

If you used Decrypt9, the damage is already done.
  • Your hardware calibration files have been erased and now your screens will looks off. HWCAL0.DAt and HWCAL1.DAt are deleted and replaced with dummy versions.
  • Except for movable.sed, configsave.bin, LocalFriendCodeSeed_B, and SecureInfo_A/B, all your NAND user profile are deleted.
    • This is like reformatting the system memory. Only matters if you have personal stuff like friend list.
  • These two console unique dbs files such as ticket.db and certs.db are conditionally irreplaceable. (ie, how important they are to you).
    • Tickets - For legitimate purchases at Nintendo eShop.
    • Certificates - ?? Not quite sure how this affects access to online services like online game play.
You might be able to retrieve copies of the HWCAL0.DAt and HWCAL1.DAt if GodMode9 backed them up at [S:] SYSNAND VIRTUAL/essential.exefs.
Well... I guess it is what it is, then...
Do I have any other option to try reviving this console?
Thx a bunch, man, for all your inputs!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well... I guess it is what it is, then...
Do I have any other option to try reviving this console?
Thx a bunch, man, for all your inputs!
Your first mistake was going straight to using heavy duty repair options. This will complicate matters debugging that n3DSXL.

We start from the beginning or the basics.
  1. Copy everything off the SD card over to a computer.
  2. Reformat the card in FAT32 + 32 KB cluster size with Windows File Explorer or guiformat if it's bigger than 32 GB.
  3. Full Write + Verify test the empty card using H2testw. Do not skip this step.
  4. If the card passes, delete the *.h2w test files.
    • If an error was reported, the card has experienced hardware failure. Replace the card and go back to step 1.
  5. Build a reference setup using this CFW starter kit.
    • Do not add back the original setup at this moment.
  6. Insert the card into the 3DS, turn on the system, hold (SELECT) to access Luma3DS v9.1 configuration, and use these exact settings.
    • luma_config.png
    • If you do not see Luma3DS configuration, you may need to either:
  7. Attempt booting to:
    1. (START) → Luma3DS chainloader → GodMode9
    2. Recovery Mode
    3. HOME Menu

If at step 7 you have established you have access to (1) Luma3DS chainloader and (2) Recovery Mode but not (3) HOME Menu,

8. Back up your current SysNAND *.bin image. This is in case there's a mess up in the later steps.
9. Attempt built-in GodMode9 11.5 CTRTransfer.
  • If booting to HOME Menu works, update to firmware 11.9 using Recovery Mode or System Settings → Other Settings → System Update.

If the CTRTransfer from step 9 didn't work,

10. Restore the SysNAND using the image created from step 8.
11. Attempt CTRTransfer (Type D9).
  • If booting to HOME Menu works, update to firmware 11.9

If the CTRTransfer (Type D9) from step 11 also didn't work, your problem is most likely hardware failure. You will need to do A/B parts testing using a known to fully work donor n3DSXL when swapping around to find the bad part.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
D

Deleted_413010

Your first mistake was going straight to using heavy duty repair options. This will complicate matters debugging that n3DSXL.

We start from the beginning or the basics.
  1. Copy everything off the SD card over to a computer.
  2. Reformat the card in FAT32 + 32 KB cluster size with Windows File Explorer or guiformat if it's bigger than 32 GB.
  3. Full Write + Verify test the empty card using H2testw. Do not skip this step.
  4. If the card passes, delete the *.h2w test files.
    • If an error was reported, the card has experienced hardware failure. Replace the card and go back to step 1.
  5. Build a reference setup using this CFW starter kit.
    • Do not add back the original setup at this moment.
  6. Insert the card into the 3DS, turn on the system, hold (SELECT) to access Luma3DS v9.1 configuration, and use these exact settings.
  7. Attempt booting to:
    1. (START) → Luma3DS chainloader → GodMode9
    2. Recovery Mode
    3. HOME Menu

If at step 7 you have established you have access to (1) Luma3DS chainloader and (2) Recovery Mode but not (3) HOME Menu,

8. Back up your current SysNAND *.bin image. This is in case there's a mess up in the later steps.
9. Attempt built-in GodMode9 11.5 CTRTransfer.
  • If booting to HOME Menu works, update to firmware 11.9 using Recovery Mode or System Settings → Other Settings → System Update.

If the CTRTransfer from step 9 didn't work,

10. Restore the SysNAND using the image created from step 8.
11. Attempt CTRTransfer (Type D9).
  • If booting to HOME Menu works, update to firmware 11.9

If the CTRTransfer (Type D9) from step 11 also didn't work, your problem is most likely hardware failure. You will need to do A/B parts testing using a known to fully work donor n3DSXL when swapping around to find the bad part.

You are really knowledgeable. It seems like your always watching to respond to stuff.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1