Hardware New 3DS XL - Bad design w/ battery cover

Vanth88

Private
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone tried to upgrade their microsd on the New 3DS XL?

You essentially have to pry the back cover off with your stylus pen without breaking it. After I removed the cover I noticed it was extremely flimsy. It's very thin plastic and I could have easily snapped the thing while trying to gently pry it off. I was surprised at how cheap it was considering Nintendo usually makes decent products.

It also baffles me why they'd decide to go with that design choice over the 3DS XL which worked just fine with the side cover. All you had to do was remove a plastic cover on the side and eject the card from there but this requires way too many steps and honestly if you attempted this too many times you'd probably break the cover in the process.

What worries me most though is that I have the Monster 4 edition which means if the cover breaks do they send me a replacement? I worry they'll tell me they can't or that it's my fault for breaking it and they won't send a replacement.

Am I the only one who's worried about this?

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking the same thing taking it off for the first time. I had issues removing it as I felt I was going to snap it in two. I'm not sure if they would replace the backcover...going to have to email them and see what they say.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm waiting for a third party battery bottom that makes the battery larger/last longer

I attached one to my original 3ds and it works wonders ;)

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Get a mini screw driver set at the dollar store then open the bottom cover as per instructions in the manual and if it breaks contact Nintendo and they'll very likely send you one free of charge given you explain the flimsiness of the material used and difficulty to lift up the bottom plate.

But in all honesty pick one big Micro SD card and replace it once for a very long time...why would you need to swap out the Micro SD card regularly?

Vanth88

Private
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all of the replies. If it gets worse I'll be sure to call Nintendo. I'm not as freaked out about it now but it's not something I want to be doing often.

I'd be careful when taking the 3DS apart. I don't recommend using your finger nails to remove the cover just use your stylus. I noticed while taking the cover off the plastic had chipped away slightly and I think what caused it at first was using my finger nails. Although I'm sure using the stylus didn't help much either :P

A few tips for anyone thinking about removing their cover:
1. Be sure to loosen the screws as much as possible or you'll have issues taking the cover off later on.
2. If you still have issues taking the cover off take your stylus and gently go around the edges while trying to pop the tabs out. Usually it's just the screw getting stuck so work your way around that.
3. The most important tip is when you put the cover back on be sure you put the tabs back in place. Start from the bottom and work your way up, if the bottoms not flush(something sticks out) go around and see if the tabs are correctly in place.
4. Double check everything and If the bottom looks fine and everything looks flush then you can pop the rest of the cover back on.

On the bright side of things I got to look at my 3DS naked :D

codeHusky

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
codehusky.com
XP
Country
United States
I think a mod to the back plate to expose the microsd slot would be handy, but I'm not sure how handy.

(Like, a pop-out cover for the back that you pull out and it shows the little microsd area.)

Still a stupid design decision, but it has uses like to prevent little kids from losing microSDs, but not everyone's a little kid. :P

D

Deleted-355425

The stylus has a molded end at the back to put in the slots and pry up, it's really not difficult to remove the plate. Nintendo also sell replacement covers for the new XL.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol