New 3ds update: 6.2.0-12U

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by stephysanrio, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    1 - The DSTwo has lasted the DSi and 3DS with no new models needed.

2 - The R4i Gold I was sent for the official GBATemp review was a revision 6, whereas they're up to multiple "Revision C" models now (which itself is an issue, there's some labeled C that can update, and some that can't).

Given the track record, assuming that the R4i Gold can outlast the DSTwo, even in theory, is just wishful thinking. The DSTwo does not use the same update and booting methods are other flash carts. Other cart makers are aware of this, they just purposely choose not to go that route because it would cost them more to make, thus cutting into their profit.

Even if you estimate that the number of replacement R4i Gold models you'd need to count for one DSTwo would cost the same or less... it's like counting the number of replacement cars you'd need if you bought the cheap model. If you even need to do that math, it's an indicator that there's something wrong with this decision. :P

That said, there's also shipping costs and shipping times to worry about, etc.

If you plan on updating your 3DS on a regular basis, the DSTwo has the best record. If you don't, the R4i Gold is a great budget model.

2. zabikt

zabikt Member

Newcomer
    Aug 31, 2005
    Poland
    Tested. It is working.
    But only locally. Means you can make yours Nintendo Zone. When your 3DS (with soft 6.2) will catch it, your StreetPass data will be saved. Next 3DS which will catch this Zone will receive StreetPass with your data and his data will be saved. And cycle is repeating. I not confirmed yet how much time must pass to be able to have next StreetPass with same hotspot (expected 8 hrs).
    Problem is that to have this really working you need to make your hotspot public and people with 3DSes must catch it.

SolidMario7 likes this.
  3. Chrushev

Chrushev GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 23, 2013
    Serbia, Republic of

Yeah I agree with you, I was just saying that R4i Gold 3DS is not a bad choice either at least for now. Its kind of like, you get what you pay for. Better products are more expensive, upside is that they are better products :)

Also it looks like R4 Gold revisions 1-5 were pre 3DS, so rev 6 you got was the first 3DS model. While I am not surprised it got perma blocked at some point, I am surprised DSTwo survived all that :)

4. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Don't forget models 7 and 8, and also that some 9 and "C" models were never able to take any updates, which prompted a 24-page thread of people trying to find a way to update but being unable to.
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/problem-updating-r4igold-from-r4ids-cn-revision-c.339088/

But yeah, the methods the DSTwo uses are ones none of the other existing ones use. The closest were the M3i Zero (I think) and one or two other carts that could update with a USB cable outside of the DS, but that was only about updating after being blocked (not bypassing new blocks), and once a DSi/3DS update blocked them for good they just stopped.

5. SolidMario7

SolidMario7 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 4, 2010
    United States
    California

Ah, I thought that may be how it worked. I only had one 3ds so I couldn't check it; Thanks for the confirmation!

6. VMM

VMM Hamon > Stand

GBAtemp Patron
    VMM is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 1, 2010
    Brazil

But I didn't even upgraded it,
    it stopped working out of nowhere.

7. justinwebb

justinwebb Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2013
    United States
    Columbus, OH
    well then it was poor build quality or a solder joint went bad, it wasnt bricked as there would be tons of others not just one.

8. VMM

VMM Hamon > Stand

GBAtemp Patron
    VMM is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 1, 2010
    Brazil

I get that it wasn't bricked but my vocabulary in english is limited and I didn't have a better word to describe the situation of my DSTwo.
    Anyway, I'm happy now with a R4i Gold, it uses wood and consumes less battery then DSTwo,
    I didn't use any extra of DSTwo, it's emulation is still poor and it consumes a lot of battery when on sleep mode.

9. William Bernhard

William Bernhard Member

Newcomer
    Jul 14, 2013
    United States
    You tried re-flashing it? I have 2 DSTWOs scince they hit the market and neither of them has caused me problems.

10. pepsibluehawk87

pepsibluehawk87 GBAtemp Regular

May 21, 2008
    United States
    Everywhere yet nowhere
    The action replay dsi still works after this update.

11. The Milkman

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Throwing milk at the bitches!
    I was referring to the R4i models actually. I know, I know "Those arent 40 bucks st00pid." but my point still stands. Plus, holla-holla get likes.

12. untok

untok GBAtemp Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    Finland
    Hmm tried this new r4ids.cn update 6.2 my dorasu card and its started update but when comblete failed. now card no more detects on 3ds or ds lite duh.:hateit:

13. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    Yup sounds about right. congratulations your the first of the many who's cards will die :P

14. SuzieJoeBob

SuzieJoeBob NOT a New Member

GBAtemp Patron
    SuzieJoeBob is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 20, 2008
    United States
    cough*cough**Bullshit**cough*cough*

Anyways, I found it odd though that I updated my 3DS XL with my DSTWO in the game slot, and it LOADED!!! Once I turned off the system + took the game cart out , tough, I got the error screen. Am I the only one that finds this a little odd???

15. dicamarques

dicamarques Definitely not Bruce Wayne.

Jun 25, 2010
    Portugal
    Your computer's Recycle Bin
    I doubt they will change HUNDREDS of routers just for this, maybe they store it on nintendos servers with ip as some type of id and away it goes.

3ds connects > check if there is sp data > gets new data > sends his data> stores it on nintendo with (I think) IP as id and the same for another 3ds that comes

16. Rinnux

Rinnux GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 3, 2010
    United States
    I knew someone would say that. Believe what you want. But I actually am interested in homebrew. If you don't want to believe me then that's your decision.

17. William Bernhard

William Bernhard Member

Newcomer
    Jul 14, 2013
    United States
    I'm with you bro, some people here think that a flashcart=piracy, I personally own 2 SCDSTWOs and I just use them for the iPlayer and iReader apps, on my wii I'm in love with the "Map Maker" and the "Celestia" look-alike, but let's face it, even if we just buy flashcarts for the apps and indie games they can manage they still are unlicenced hardware and by extencion a kind of piracy hardware.
    P.S. to the rest: yes I bought every game I like so I won't use the "DS player", yes I use the GBA emulator but just for 2 games that I actually own (C-Aria of Sorrow and KH - Chain of Memories) and I use the emulator cuz I'm not going to carry a Small 3ds a XL and a DS lite. just saying...

emo kid 68 likes this.
  18. Rinnux

Rinnux GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 3, 2010
    United States
    Exactly. I use a dstwo to play gba games (only ones I own) because there's no gba slot on my xl. And I don't like the small screens of my ds lite. And as for ds games I only play games I own as well.

19. mrtofu

mrtofu GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
  20. zabikt

zabikt Member

Newcomer
    Aug 31, 2005
    Poland
    I am almost sure that it works that way. As I wrote before I tested it on homemade Nintendo Zone and it works.

Acc. to me it work this way:
    1. 3DS detects Nintendo Zone
    2. If it has a new soft (6.2 i higher), is sending StreetPass data.
    3. Data are sent to Nintendo server and saved together with Nintendo Zone IP.
    4. If anybody else connects from same IP, he will receive these saved data and his data will be sent to the server.
    Cycle repeats.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted