Hardware New 3DS (regular) teardown guide?

actualkoifish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,

I'm about to do some more surgery on my New 3DS, and I'm looking for an old guide I used once upon a time to help me through it, but now I can't find it. Can anyone point me to a guide which has images demonstrating the teardown of a regular New 3DS, down to at least removal of the motherboard?

KingOfTaurus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This one is good, but DO NOT USE A METAL FLATHEAD screwdriver to lift the connectors!!

AND DO NOT under ANY circumstance EVER lift the black ribbon cable connector like he does at around 8:30

Last edited by KingOfTaurus,

actualkoifish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to you both for the posts.

I find myself troubled over this cable however. The video posted by KingOfTaurus shows it just popping out, but given the video creator's rather crude methods up to that point, I am not sure I can trust his example.

how_to_remove_this.jpg

Can anyone somehow confirm that just lifting it off is the way to do it?

This one is good, but DO NOT USE A METAL FLATHEAD screwdriver to lift the connectors!!

AND DO NOT under ANY circumstance EVER lift the black ribbon cable connector like he does at around 8:30

Also, just to be clear, which black cable do you mean?

Last edited by actualkoifish,

KingOfTaurus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to you both for the posts.

I find myself troubled over this cable however. The video posted by KingOfTaurus shows it just popping out, but given the video creator's rather crude methods up to that point, I am not sure I can trust his example.

Can anyone somehow confirm that just lifting it off is the way to do it?

Also, just to be clear, which black cable do you mean?

THAT particular ONE is liftable. And I SEE that you lifted the bottom left corner. OOPS

new 3ds warning.jpg

actualkoifish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
THAT particular ONE is liftable. And I SEE that you lifted the bottom left corner. OOPS

I see, well that explains what I did wrong last year then! The lifted bottom-left corner one is from when I did a mobo swap a year ago. My microphone never worked again...

But oh well, not a huge loss.

So when you say that the one I circled is liftable, does that mean that it's like a ZIF, or is there some other process to it?

KingOfTaurus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see, well that explains what I did wrong last year then! The lifted bottom-left corner one is from when I did a mobo swap a year ago. My microphone never worked again...

But oh well, not a huge loss.

So when you say that the one I circled is liftable, does that mean that it's like a ZIF, or is there some other process to it?

That particular one that you posted just lifts out, like an electrical plug. Just pull it right out.

actualkoifish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That particular one that you posted just lifts out, like an electrical plug. Just pull it right out.

Alright, thanks.

As for the bottom-left, non-ZIF plugs, how are you supposed to remove those correctly? I seem to see mistakes made about those ones often (to the point of a previous thread on here asking how to keep that switch forced down after someone apparently goofed on it).

KingOfTaurus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, thanks.

As for the bottom-left, non-ZIF plugs, how are you supposed to remove those correctly? I seem to see mistakes made about those ones often (to the point of a previous thread on here asking how to keep that switch forced down after someone apparently goofed on it).

Well you gently pull it out... Straight out. If it's stuck, pull it gently upward. Never bend it. Think of the top part like spring that pushes down. If you bend it, it doesn't push down anymore and the electrical contacts are on the top part. If it's lifted even slightly, it won't work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: