Hardware New 3DS (regular, JP model) - New Ghosting of 3D Images Observed

actualkoifish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright. To summarize, I own a New 3DS (the smaller "regular" model) which I imported from Japan in early 2015. In the past month or two, I have noticed that the 3D screen is showing a lot of ghosting in the screen images. It's not every object, more often objects that are further away, and it's only in 3D mode. It essentially looks like there are two "clones" of the object, one on its left and one on its right. Of course, this is more or less impossible to photograph, as it is the 3D function that is behaving strangely.

I have tried updating the system firmware (I am running the newest version of official firmware). I am running Luma3DS using B9S, I don't remember which version but I believe I updated in the last 6-12 months or so.

This is very distracting, as it reduces image quality noticeably, especially in games with a lot of objects or distant objects on-screen, or anything with flat objects at a distance (for example, the sega 3D classics titles). I would like to see this fixed if possible, but I don't know what is the cause. I did buy a second New 3DS just today, the "Super Mario Black Friday" model from a few years back (November 2017?). It is practically brand new in box, and I don't see the same issue with it at all. Granted, I have not tried any physical 3DS carts yet, as I copied all of mine to my system memory and sold the carts a long time ago. That said, I plan to buy some games and check them out tomorrow to see if they work properly on the new system.

Other than this, can anyone recommend what might be wrong? I've cleaned the screen and the depth cameras, so I don't think it's those being dirty. I'm worried it is the screen breaking down, at which point I would have to do a system transfer and deal with that mess. I'd like to avoid it, but we will see what is needed. At the very least I would need to hack the new one I just bought, so that's more work to deal with, but alas, it may be my fate. Any help is appreciated, thanks so much all!

actualkoifish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot to mention, I have tried calibrating the super stable 3D, and I have tired turning it off. The problem still appears in both cases.

Also, it seems that sometimes, if I hold the system so that the screen is slightly off-center (to the left or to the right), then the problem goes away. In the last day or so however, that has changed, and it no longer looks clear when I hold it off-center. Sorry I forgot to put this in the first post.

AutumnWolf

JRPG enjoyer, Xenoblade, YS and DQ connoisseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
I forgot to mention, I have tried calibrating the super stable 3D, and I have tired turning it off. The problem still appears in both cases.

Also, it seems that sometimes, if I hold the system so that the screen is slightly off-center (to the left or to the right), then the problem goes away. In the last day or so however, that has changed, and it no longer looks clear when I hold it off-center. Sorry I forgot to put this in the first post.
Your 3DS' upper screen ribbon cable is probably damaged

A way around this issue is to
turn on parental controls and choose the option that says "Disable display of 3D images"

actualkoifish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, that sucks. Disabling display of 3D images would just turn off 3D completely, wouldn't it? I'm not interested, I play 3DS for the 3D, else I'd just emulate, you know? I appreciate you letting me know, even if I'm bummed by the bad news. Guess I wil lhave to figure out what to do with these systems.

Reactions: yuyuyup

actualkoifish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, the IR does light up, and the test of the super stable 3D does show it is working, so it's not that part of the system, I don't think. I also checked the other system with some games and confirmed that it isn't just me being confused. I think the problem might be the ribbon cable as Sinon indicated. Guess I might just have to try replacing it, either keep the extra or return it.

actualkoifish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a weird update to this story, I discovered that when I keep the system open, but only to the first position (the one in which the screen sits open at just over a 90 degree angle), the 3D works perfectly. As soon as I open it all the way, I get the ghosting. I'm shocked! I never open it up to just the halfway point, so I never even thought to look for this.

Your 3DS' upper screen ribbon cable is probably damaged

Is this a case where I could "adjust" the ribbon cable somehow and get it working again? I'm guessing that the problem is something to do with the cable being tugged on, or otherwise messed up, when the hinge is opened all the way. I don't know one way or the other though, and I'm frankly dreading the idea of revisiting those ribbon cables, but I'll do it if it fixes things.

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a weird update to this story, I discovered that when I keep the system open, but only to the first position (the one in which the screen sits open at just over a 90 degree angle), the 3D works perfectly. As soon as I open it all the way, I get the ghosting. I'm shocked! I never open it up to just the halfway point, so I never even thought to look for this.

Is this a case where I could "adjust" the ribbon cable somehow and get it working again? I'm guessing that the problem is something to do with the cable being tugged on, or otherwise messed up, when the hinge is opened all the way. I don't know one way or the other though, and I'm frankly dreading the idea of revisiting those ribbon cables, but I'll do it if it fixes things.

Have you changed where you play or are you wearing new glasses,etc? Mine can have trouble when I have my glasses on but is fine when I don't. Its worse if there are other light sources that are reflecting off them. I also noticed that only opening the 3DS to the first notch was more stable and I think that has to do with the angle you are forced to view it at when in that position. You tend to look more directly at it than down at an angle.

actualkoifish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I checked that today; Even when the screen is set to a different orientation, I'm still looking at it head-on in all cases. There isn't any difference until I open the screen all the way.

I did notice that if I open it slowly to the fully open position, that the problem is lessened. I feel like maybe this can be fixed but I don't know for sure.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I checked that today; Even when the screen is set to a different orientation, I'm still looking at it head-on in all cases. There isn't any difference until I open the screen all the way.

I did notice that if I open it slowly to the fully open position, that the problem is lessened. I feel like maybe this can be fixed but I don't know for sure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: