Homebrew New 3DS NTR CFW Constantly causing Bravely Default to crash help

vgplayer54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello,

I am using a New 3DS running ReiNand EmuNAND (latest firmware) and NTR Custom Firmware 3.3. It seems however whenever I run the cheat.plg within the game Bravely Default (installed as a .cia), the game will run successfully (all cheats working perfectly fine) for about 5 minutes or so, then the game will crash. This is not something that has ever happened running any other game, only Bravely Default.

I tested to narrow down where the crashing is coming from, whether its just a bad .cia file, the NTR, or something else. When I run the game without using NTR at all, the game does not crash. When I run the game using NTR and do not enable any cheats at all, the game will still crash within 5 minutes or so. This tells me that the problem is not any cheats in particular, but perhaps the NTR itself. I'm not sure what I can do, but this is rendering the game almost unplayable for me.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

vgplayer54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Since you're using ReiNand this doesn't apply to you, so disregard that response. You could try moving to Luma and see if that helps.
The problem doesn't appear to be the EmuNand, but rather the NTR itself. Every other game works fine both with and without NTR active, with the exception of Bravely Default of course. It works perfectly even with cheats for 5-10 minutes but then crashes. And strange enough, it seems to crash at the start or end of a random battle every single time. Strange...I'm not sure what to do

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
The problem doesn't appear to be the EmuNand, but rather the NTR itself. Every other game works fine both with and without NTR active, with the exception of Bravely Default of course. It works perfectly even with cheats for 5-10 minutes but then crashes. And strange enough, it seems to crash at the start or end of a random battle every single time. Strange...I'm not sure what to do
Custom firmwares are independent of EmuNAND and just act as loaders with patch sets. You can swap them out without ever touching EmuNAND. This is why I suggested Luma because it has better compatibility with NTR.

vgplayer54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Custom firmwares are independent of EmuNAND and just act as loaders with patch sets. You can swap them out without ever touching EmuNAND. This is why I suggested Luma because it has better compatibility with NTR.
Okay, so I've never heard of Luma...I don't believe it existed back when I set up ReiNand and all that. Is Luma an alternative to ReiNand or NTR? How would I go about setting this up without losing all my games and saves within my EmuNand?

Edit: After re-reading your post, I believe you're saying that EmuNAND is solidified on my SD Card right? It will remain the same EmuNAND despite whether its opened with ReiNAND or Luma or any other tool like those?

Last edited by vgplayer54,

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I've never heard of Luma...I don't believe it existed back when I set up ReiNand and all that. Is Luma an alternative to ReiNand or NTR? How would I go about setting this up without losing all my games and saves within my EmuNand?

Edit: After re-reading your post, I believe you're saying that EmuNAND is solidified on my SD Card right? It will remain the same EmuNAND despite whether its opened with ReiNAND or Luma or any other tool like those?
Correct. Your EmuNAND, games, saves, etc. will not be touched. Custom firmwares aren't installed to the NAND, so they're easily interchangeable. Also, Luma is a fork of ReiNand which is meant to be user friendly and adds features that ReiNand lacks. Oh, and not sure if I can convince you, but I suggest moving to A9LH when you're more comfortable with doing this kind of stuff. It has a lot of benefits over a Menuhax and EmuNAND setup.

Last edited by Joom,

vgplayer54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Correct. Your EmuNAND, games, saves, etc. will not be touched. Custom firmwares aren't installed to the NAND, so they're easily interchangeable. Also, Luma is a fork of ReiNand which is meant to be user friendly and adds features that ReiNand lacks. Oh, and not sure if I can convince you, but I suggest moving to A9LH when you're more comortable with doing this kind of stuff. It has a lot of benefits over a Menuhax and EmuNAND setup.
Okay, thank you for your very helpful post! If I were to install A9LH (bizarre name?), would I have to reinstall MenuHax and everything from scratch? My SysNAND is still at 9.2 so that shouldn't be a problem, I just am not sure if A9LH is an alternative to MenuHax or is its own EmuNAND loader or what it adds.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Okay, thank you for your very helpful post! If I were to install A9LH (bizarre name?), would I have to reinstall MenuHax and everything from scratch? My SysNAND is still at 9.2 so that shouldn't be a problem, I just am not sure if A9LH is an alternative to MenuHax or is its own EmuNAND loader or what it adds.
A9LH stands for arm9loaderhax which allows you to execute ARM9 binaries before boot. This means that you can run custom firmware on SysNAND running the latest firmware. This eliminates the need for Menuhax and EmuNAND altogether. You will have a 100% bootrate, be able to restore NAND backups in case of a brick, and you'll gain an extra 2 gb of space on your SD with EmuNAND being removed. You also won't lose any of your games or saves either. All you have to do is backup your entire SD, make a NAND dump of EmuNAND, install A9LH, then flash your EmuNAND dump to SysNAND. After that, you can restore your SD contents.

Last edited by Joom,

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
And in addition to what Joom said above; I guess you emunand is the most used/beneficial nand you have at the moment... in that case once you have a9lh 'installed' you can flash your emunand over your sysnand - so you'll have no need for menuhax/emunand

*ninja'ed

Last edited by HyperT,

vgplayer54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And in addition to what Joom said above; I guess you emunand is the most used/beneficial nand you have at the moment... in that case once you have a9lh 'installed' you can flash your emunand over your sysnand - so you'll have no need for menuhax/emunand

*ninja'ed
A9LH stands for arm9loaderhax which allows you to execute ARM9 binaries before boot. This means that you can run custom firmware on SysNAND running the latest firmware. This eliminates the need for Menuhax and EmuNAND altogether. You will have a 100% bootrate, be able to restore NAND backups in case of a brick, and you'll gain an extra 2 gb of space on your SD with EmuNAND being removed. You also won't lose any of your games or saves either. All you have to do is backup your entire SD, make a NAND dump of EmuNAND, install A9LH, then flash your EmuNAND dump to SysNAND. After that, you can restore your SD contents.
If this is the case, would I even need to use an EmuNand loader like Luma? It seems to no longer have a purpose if EmuNand is removed. And NTR would still function correctly on SysNAND?

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
In order to use unsigned code; yes you do need to use CFW/Luma3ds. It will just boot/modify sysnand rather than emunand. i.e. luma3ds isn't an emunand loader its a cfw that runs on/over any nand

Without cfw any unsigned code/cias you have running on emunand/sysnand either won't boot or wouldn't appear on screen.

And ntr should bun fine if you have the right .bin/.cia

Last edited by HyperT,

vgplayer54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In order to use unsigned code; yes you do need to use CFW/Luma3ds. It will just boot/modify sysnand rather than emunand. i.e. luma3ds isn't an emunand loader its a cfw that runs on/over any nand

Without cfw any unsigned code/cias you have running on emunand/sysnand either won't boot or wouldn't appear on screen.
Thank you all so much for your help. I'll attempt this...installing Luma3DS first. Then backup the SD card contents (do I perform a full format?) then NAND dump EmuNAND, install A9LH, then flash the EmuNand dump onto SysNand. Then my SysNand will have everything EmuNand had previously including a working NTR?

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you all so much for your help. I'll attempt this...installing Luma3DS first. Then backup the SD card contents (do I perform a full format?) then NAND dump EmuNAND, install A9LH, then flash the EmuNand dump onto SysNand. Then my SysNand will have everything EmuNand had previously including a working NTR?
Don't format the sdcard; at least not before nand dumping emuNAND and backing that up with the rest of the sdcard.

Not sure if the ntr.bin placement differs between sys and emu NAND.

But yea first switch to luma3ds (which is updated [renamed] AuReiNAND) running on your emunand and see if your getting the same issue

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Don't format the sdcard; at least not before nand dumping emuNAND and backing that up with the rest of the sdcard.

Not sure if the ntr.bin placement differs between sys and emu NAND.

But yea first switch to luma3ds (which is updated [renamed] AuReiNAND) running on your emunand and see if your getting the same issue

Or you could follow the a9lh install guide as is, it has emunand provisions added; i.e. install a9lh; then nand dump emunand and flash it to sysnand. [full formatting your sdcard would remove the emunand itself]

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, Plailect's guide covers backing up and restoring your EmuNAND quite meticulously. I've done it on two N3DSs without a single problem.

@HyperT the ntr.bin goes on the root of the SD (if using BootNTR Selector, which I recommend) regardless of the NAND type.

vgplayer54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, Plailect's guide covers backing up and restoring your EmuNAND quite meticulously. I've done it on two N3DSs without a single problem.

@HyperT the ntr.bin goes on the root of the SD (if using BootNTR Selector, which I recommend) regardless of the NAND type.
Okay, thank you all so much, you're amazing!! I'm using the suggested guide:
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-1-(Decrypt9)
Do I want to use the "No Browser" or "Browser" version of Homebrew Launcher? And do I go by the SysNAND version (9.2) or the EmuNAND version (11.0)?

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Okay, thank you all so much, you're amazing!! I'm using the suggested guide:
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-1-(Decrypt9)
Do I want to use the "No Browser" or "Browser" version of Homebrew Launcher? And do I go by the SysNAND version (9.2) or the EmuNAND version (11.0)?
Everything has to be done from SysNAND, and since you're on 9.2 you can use Browserhax to get into the homebrew launcher and run Decrypt9 from there.

vgplayer54

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Everything has to be done from SysNAND, and since you're on 9.2 you can use Browserhax to get into the homebrew launcher and run Decrypt9 from there.
Okay, the site says that I just have to open Homebrew Launcher, and that Decrypt9 is for the Old 3DS only. I have the New 3DS.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Okay, the site says that I just have to open Homebrew Launcher, and that Decrypt9 is for the Old 3DS only. I have the New 3DS.
Where does it say that? D9 can be used between both models. The 2.1 NAND transfer image is for O3DS only, but that's because the N3DS was never originally meant to run that firmware version. It's safe to flash though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: "Impossible he memorized every book on the planet..." +1