Hacking New 3DS LL + Online Play?

Bend This

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm really interested in purchasing the Japanese New 3DS LL alongside the Gateway 3DS due to it's region free capabilities. I will go through with purchasing both if I can get some of my questions answered.

1. What would I need to do to play the U.S. Super Smash Bro's or Pokemon X/Y online with friends? If there is a U.S. update would I be able to get it? Since I am only able to access the Japanese eShop how would this be accomplished?

2. I'm pretty sure it isn't possible, but is there an option to translate the Japanese Menus/UI into English?

I'd appreciate any help, thank you!

Kurth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. You're right, you can't download a US game update from a 3ds of another region. However, it would be possible for someone with a 4.5 firmware to dump the update for you, which you could then install with devmenue.

2. Nope, not possible right now.

Reactions: Margen67

capz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
afaik.. Those titles support cross region online play regardless of system region. Local play would never work though, as its tied to the console region.

Bend This

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies! I just have one more question, would I have to download all the previous U.S. updates for the game or just the latest one?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
afaik.. Those titles support cross region online play regardless of system region. Local play would never work though, as its tied to the console region.
Local play is not always tied to the region (Download Play is though) also it's tied to game region, not console region.
With the Pokemon games being identical across regions except for some header changes I'd expect cross region local wifi to work just fine.

capz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Local play is not always tied to the region (Download Play is though) also it's tied to game region, not console region.
With the Pokemon games being identical across regions except for some header changes I'd expect cross region local wifi to work just fine.
I guess you've never noticed the people asking why their US game won't local play on their non-US 3DS even though the game otherwise works fine using the GW region free functionality. So far I've not seen any replies claiming they've got it to work with that setup

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I guess you've never noticed the people asking why their US game won't local play on their non-US 3DS even though the game otherwise works fine using the GW region free functionality. So far I've not seen any replies claiming they've got it to work with that setup
I have not. Pretty sure I've done that before though.

jaku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have not. Pretty sure I've done that before though.

I can confirm that you can play local play with other regions. I have a Japanese New 3DS, a AUS New 3DS, and a NA 3DS XL and they can all play smash locally. It worked with Animal Crossing too if I remember correctly.

http://imgur.com/LPqiqun
a4c6vaf.png

dontay0100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Total lie, I play local play between usa version of smash and europe cia version of smash....

Missilewarriorz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you could get an aus pal new 3ds and get the gateway for that and it's region free like you said plus english menus but to be honest i thought about it.. not worth the extra trouble you could run into with system/ game updates and what not. plus the premium that you'll probably pay for importing the system and what not.. I just wish nintendo released the system in usa region (ntsc)

capz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think it is worth the extra money to go with the Australian N3DS so you can have the English UI.

I'm not sure. If OP is low on cash, then price difference may be significant. And if they can handle the language then digital downloads are cheaper in japan as well as an added bonus.

I can confirm that you can play local play with other regions. I have a Japanese New 3DS, a AUS New 3DS, and a NA 3DS XL and they can all play smash locally. It worked with Animal Crossing too if I remember correctly.

http://imgur.com/LPqiqun

a4c6vaf.png
Oh, sweet. That's nice to hear :) guess I haven't been reading the right threads then XD

edit: why do you have 3DS from every region? :V

Total lie, I play local play between usa version of smash and europe cia version of smash....
How old are you? Some less aggressive wording would have been nice

codychaosx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as importing goes I imported a jap n3ds ll from Nippon-yassan because it was over $80 cheaper than getting an aus n3ds xl. For how often ur in the menus n shit it's not really gna matter that it's not in English. I just lucked out and had mine arrive on 9.x. Just wish gateway would release they're stuff so I can actually use it now :P but oh well as they said shit takes time to perfect.

jaku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, sweet. That's nice to hear :) guess I haven't been reading the right threads then XD

edit: why do you have 3DS from every region? :V

How old are you? Some less aggressive wording would have been nice

The question should be "why don't you?".

But no, I'lll answer. I wanted to make sure to get homebrew on the New 3DSes. Since I knew the Japanese one would be quick to arrive and could be upgraded to 9.2, I had that ordered first. I then got a friend in AUS to get me the New 3DS at launch and upgrade that to 9.2 for me before shipping it. I didn't want to risk not having that firmware and not being able to have homebrew on them. I'm 29 if you need to know. :)

Also I tend to collect consoles. http://imgur.com/a/HKQOe
thats great now can you try it with mariokart

I would... but I don't have the AUS or JP version of Mario Kart. And I'm not about to update to download from the eSHop. I could do a US and JP or AUS version of Mario Kart on Gateway if you really want me to try.

Bend This

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all of the replies guy!

I'm in the same boat as codychaosx since the Japanese New 3DS LL is significantly (~$80) cheaper than the Australian version. I'll be taking Japanese this Spring so the UI isn't of much concern. I'm just glad to hear all the major points will fall in my favor such as local play and game updates!

luney

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The question should be "why don't you?".

But no, I'lll answer. I wanted to make sure to get homebrew on the New 3DSes. Since I knew the Japanese one would be quick to arrive and could be upgraded to 9.2, I had that ordered first. I then got a friend in AUS to get me the New 3DS at launch and upgrade that to 9.2 for me before shipping it. I didn't want to risk not having that firmware and not being able to have homebrew on them. I'm 29 if you need to know. :)

Also I tend to collect consoles. http://imgur.com/a/HKQOe

I would... but I don't have the AUS or JP version of Mario Kart. And I'm not about to update to download from the eSHop. I could do a US and JP or AUS version of Mario Kart on Gateway if you really want me to try.
OK I'm drooling now. I so wanted the X/Y XL's. Just wish I could have afforded them. I still have 2 of the 3 special pokemon original style GBA's that were sold at the Pokemoin Centers. Funny thing is thatr the one I didn't get was the one from NY and I'm in the US. I have the Suicune (metallic flake light blue) and the Celebi (metallic flake light green) still in original packaging. The NY one was metallic flake gold. I opened them to make sure they worked and back in the boxes they went.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol