New 3DS - Is overclocking worth it ..? + Is OTP-Less installation safe ?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Exavold, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Exavold
    OP

Exavold lol

Nov 9, 2015
    France
    lol
    Hey everyone :D

I just ordered myself a New 3DS and I plan on installing A9LH on it and I was wondering :

- Is overclocking worth it ? (Is the change noticeable and such)
    Depends on the game , if it's a game that usally uses the N3DS power or not

- Is overclocking bad for the console's hardware ?
    Except from battery draining , not really.

- Is OTP-less A9LH install safe ? (assuming I follow @Plailect 's correctly)
    Needs to be fixed , downgrading to 2.1 is safer !

Thanks for reading !

Last edited by Exavold, Nov 11, 2016
  2. Elysium420

Elysium420 Shitposting bastard

Feb 10, 2016
    Greece
    Shitville
    You don't actually overclock an N3DS. You just make it use it's actual CPU speed (768Mhz, I think). You can see some differences throughout some games and browsing when enabling it. It's not bad for the console's hardware, but it drains battery a bit faster I think. I don't know much about OTPless install, but I always trust the Plailect guide and I guess it's safe.

Dava and Exavold like this.
  3. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    the "overclock" makes games much more enjoyable. like pokemon, removes the lag when 3d is turned on. no it wont hurt the hardware, and people claim the otpless to be safer for the new 3ds

Exavold likes this.
  4. Kibido

Kibido GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 3, 2014
    Italy
    It's not overclocking, it's simply clocking at the highest speed available as if you were running a New3DS exclusive title, so it's as safe as can be.

The change is noticeable at times but nothing very drastic. What's more noticeable is your battery life going down... Still worth it in my opinion.

5. VinsCool

VinsCool Detached from Reality

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Comparable to the 333mhz setting for PSP, basically.

Exavold likes this.
  6. king_leo

king_leo Real Hero

Sep 12, 2009
    De RigueurMortis
    Depends on the game you play clock wise, poorly optimised games with no frame cap have the most noticeably difference. An example would be Garfield Kart has no slow downs with the core clock speed changed

Exavold likes this.
  7. DinckelMan

DinckelMan Your Favorite Water Mage!

Nov 4, 2013
    United States
    The OPT-less installation is definitely not safe. Me and several other people i know hard-bricked 3DS's doing it several days ago. You can still go with teh downgrade strat. It takes time but it's safe

trinhno and Exavold like this.
  8. Exavold
    OP

Exavold lol

Nov 9, 2015
    France
    lol
    Do you mind sending me proof ?

9. DinckelMan

Nov 4, 2013
    United States
    Proof of a brick? Steady power LED, screen no turning on, recovery mode inaccessible.

I guess if you're interested in more details you should join the 3DS hacks Discord. You can find a link in vb_encryption_vb's profile here

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Exavold likes this.
  10. Exavold
    OP

Exavold lol

Nov 9, 2015
    France
    lol
    Invite got deleted.

Last edited by Exavold, Nov 9, 2016
  11. squalow

squalow Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 28, 2016
    France
    @DinckelMan
    I followed Plailect's guide to install A9LH + Luma on my New3DS, i havent got a single issue ,maybe you did something wrong

12. Raugo

Raugo GBAtemp Fan

Nov 22, 2014
    squalow likes this.
  13. gkoelho

gkoelho GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 16, 2015
    Brazil
    OTP less install is ok but less safe than regular install.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Not nescesseraly. OTP-less install depends o the integrity of HASH stored on ram during a MCU reboot(not a entire reboot) If anything get corrupted on ram or fcram you will write garbage to the firms and will instantly brick. So otpless bricks are possible. very unlikely but possible.

DinckelMan likes this.
  14. DinckelMan

Nov 4, 2013
    United States
    The OTP-less way CAN be safe and successful, i'm not saying it can't. I'm saying that I tried doing it twice, one console did it fine, the other got hardbricked after giving me a "installation was successful" type of message and rebooting normally.

No one I've talked to in the #3dshacks knows why this happens but they seem to have some theories about it

15. apoptygma

apoptygma GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 30, 2010
    It's not overclocking, it's running (old)3DS games at the speed (new)3DS games run, so it's not 'worse' for the console that just playing, for example xenogears or using the SNES virtual console. Does that make it clearer? The only effect is that the battery will not last as long on a single charge.

16. SG6000

SG6000 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 2, 2015
    The issue with the OTP-less method is that for many people it's been smooth sailing. Some people have said they've used it 20 times without a brick occuring.

Personally I wouldn't use the OTP-less method because my first time doing it (only days after The Guide was updated with it) went the way of the brick. I'm aware I was just unlucky but if there was an acknowledgement at the time of the method being inherently less stable I'd have without question stuck with the slower method.

17. Altairseven

Altairseven GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2016
    Argentina
    i've also had a brick with the opless method and 2.6.1 installer, i reported it, and after that aurora release the 2.6.2 with a potential fix.. i have not tested after that (other than with the previosly bricked console once it got hardmoded (because who cares.. it was hardmoded..))

Did your brick happened after october 31? (the day 2.6.2 installer got released.

if not.. than hopefully, and after a litle more time and people doing the otpless install, we can confirm that it's now 100% safe to install via the otpless method..

OP, if you dont want to risk it.. do the 2.1 crt transfer.. follow the guide as if it was a old3ds, there should not be any risk while doing so, but if you want to use the optless install i suggest (as the guide also suggest) that you backup your nand before attempting the install.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by Altairseven, Nov 10, 2016
  18. trinhno

trinhno GBAtemp Regular

Aug 5, 2015
    Senegal
  19. N7Kopper

N7Kopper Proud lover of a three-inch girlfriend

Aug 24, 2014
    In fairness, it usually is. But anyone who utterly discounts the possibility of Pailect or the tool developers making mistakes is a fool. While I'm not the most knowledgable about these kinds of things, it seems the OTPless install has a race condition problem in terms of the hash integrity.

For now, stick with downgrading to 2.1. Because if you brick that by going into sleep mode, it's your own fault.

trinhno likes this.
  20. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    I bricked 1 out of 23 so far with optless. Was around the 30th. Did of them at the same time and one just bricked, used the same sd card for a 23 with the same files so it is what it is