New 3DS importer paranoia, should I buy a second one?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by idx13, Feb 4, 2015.

  1. idx13
    OP

    idx13 GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    140
    34
    Jan 21, 2015
    United States
    Ok so I bought a white New 3DS from Australia. It's going to get played a bunch of hours over the next few years until the next handheld comes out from Nintendo. First I was worried about parts wearing out. I figured I could replace those. But now I have to worry about firmware revisions. Do you think I should order a 2nd one, possibly in black, just to have a backup?

    If I get the black one from japan, does anyone know what the highest firmware version it will have? Will it eventually have a region change option?

    I figure I could always sell it later since someone would want a low firmware version right?

    Also does anyone know where I should import? Or if I should import the EU version when it comes out?
     
  2. mech

    mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

    Member
    4,914
    3,175
    Oct 26, 2014
    Vanuatu
    If you can afford it, sure why not... You can see if the NA ones come with a low firmware first and take it from there.
     
  3. thorasgar

    thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

    Member
    3,405
    1,844
    Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    I don't understand how you think a second unit helps you with firmware revisions. Especially a Japanese unit for an AU unit,

    Are you concerned about accidently updating the firmware?
     
  4. idx13
    OP

    idx13 GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    140
    34
    Jan 21, 2015
    United States
    No. Sorry I forgot to address this - I'm worried that if there is something catastrophically wrong with mine in the future I won't be able to replace it.

    I figure I could always sell it later since someone would want a low firmware version right?

    Also does anyone know where I should import? Or if I should import the EU version when it comes out?

    Can you transfer saves from Gateway 3DS situation?
     
  5. thorasgar

    thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

    Member
    3,405
    1,844
    Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    I understand now. Well, if you are a hardcore gamer and have a big library of saves you want to hold onto I guess a second one makes sense.

    You are US based, correct? Selling internationally is going to be a pain. Not something I would want to venture into for such small margins. Why don't you get US consoles?

    I wouldn't plan on making a profit. It might happen but there are a lot of scalpers hoarding 4.5 units that are hurting right now.
     
  6. idx13
    OP

    idx13 GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    140
    34
    Jan 21, 2015
    United States
    There is no New 3DS in US or if it does come out here it'll most certainly be 9.5 firmware.

    I'm not PLANNING on selling it but if I needed to I could get my money back.
     
  7. mech

    mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

    Member
    4,914
    3,175
    Oct 26, 2014
    Vanuatu
    Go for the XL :)
     
  8. idx13
    OP

    idx13 GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    140
    34
    Jan 21, 2015
    United States

    Don't like the xl one bit..