Misc [New 3DS] HomePass not working any longer

Liberty

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello there,

with the release of Gateway 3.1 I transfered my data vom the O3DS to my N3DS and everything went fine so far. But a few days ago, quite sudely, HomePass stopped working.

I'm using a WiFi-stick based on the Realtek 8192CU chipset and nzone.exe within a Windows-7-VM. Nzone never really worked with my Windows 8.1 installation, but Windows 7 was fine.

I can see the HotSpot from my smartphone, but that's it. My N3DS is not getting any passes. So next I tried this Linux-VM from this topic and I have the exact same issue. Hotspot exists, but that's it. No green light on my device.

Any had similiar issues and found a way to fix them?

Psionatix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello there,

with the release of Gateway 3.1 I transfered my data vom the O3DS to my N3DS and everything went fine so far. But a few days ago, quite sudely, HomePass stopped working.

I'm using a WiFi-stick based on the Realtek 8192CU chipset and nzone.exe within a Windows-7-VM. Nzone never really worked with my Windows 8.1 installation, but Windows 7 was fine.

I can see the HotSpot from my smartphone, but that's it. My N3DS is not getting any passes. So next I tried this Linux-VM from this topic and I have the exact same issue. Hotspot exists, but that's it. No green light on my device.

Any had similiar issues and found a way to fix them?

I'm not familiar with this set up, however I am interested in getting it set up to test it for myself. Where would I start? I didn't realize HomePass could be set up through a virtual machine. It'd be great if I could get it working again!

As for your problem, the ONLY thing that would prevent you from getting streetpasses, is if the MAC isn't being spoofed. If you can connect to your hotspot with your phone, can you find out the MAC of the hotspot your phone is connected to? I'm not sure how you'd do this, but it would confirm whether or not the MAC is spoofed.

maybe run the

arp - a

command in command prompt and see if you can see the hotspots IP and thus the MAC address along with it.

Liberty

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm not familiar with this set up, however I am interested in getting it set up to test it for myself. Where would I start? I didn't realize HomePass could be set up through a virtual machine. It'd be great if I could get it working again!
In this topic I linked above. On the first page in the Windows 7/8 section there's a YouTube-video with a link to a VM-image. And apart from that start reading here, that's where I originally said that I have problems getting this to work.

As for your problem, the ONLY thing that would prevent you from getting streetpasses, is if the MAC isn't being spoofed. If you can connect to your hotspot with your phone, can you find out the MAC of the hotspot your phone is connected to? I'm not sure how you'd do this, but it would confirm whether or not the MAC is spoofed.
Just checked it. I first looked at the default MAC of my WiFi-adapter and afterwards at the MAC reported from the Hotspot. It cycles through different MACs.

Psionatix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
In this topic I linked above. On the first page in the Windows 7/8 section there's a YouTube-video with a link to a VM-image. And apart from that start reading here, that's where I originally said that I have problems getting this to work.

Just checked it. I first looked at the default MAC of my WiFi-adapter and afterwards at the MAC reported from the Hotspot. It cycles through different MACs.

I set up the Virtual Machine with my laptop connected to the router (internet) with it's internal wifi adapter. I then had a TP-Link usb adapter which I connected to the virtual machine. It seemed to work right off the bat. I found that in the first 30 minutes, I only got like 5 streetpasses. It wasn't till after it had been running for that long, that I started to get a consistent amount of streetpasses.

I'm thinking that maybe some of the MACS that the method cycles through might not work any more, or people just aren't cycling them.

Have you tried leaving the virtual machine running for a decent amount of time without restarting it, etc?

Liberty

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I set up the Virtual Machine with my laptop connected to the router (internet) with it's internal wifi adapter. I then had a TP-Link usb adapter which I connected to the virtual machine. It seemed to work right off the bat. I found that in the first 30 minutes, I only got like 5 streetpasses. It wasn't till after it had been running for that long, that I started to get a consistent amount of streetpasses. I'm thinking that maybe some of the MACS that the method cycles through might not work any more, or people just aren't cycling them. Have you tried leaving the virtual machine running for a decent amount of time without restarting it, etc?
Which image did you use? The one on the first page or the one that came up in the discussion?

Psionatix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Which image did you use? The one on the first page or the one that came up in the discussion?

The image I used was the:
homepass 23 12.zip

I can't seem to find the link for it any more. I'll have to take a look when I get home. If I can't find the link, I can re upload it for you. Not particularly sure where I got it from.

Hopefully someone else might be able to help you in the meantime. I don't finish work for another 9 hours.

Edit: I'm silly. The one in the discussion was the one that worked for me.

Liberty

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
For whatever reason nzone.exe in my Windows-7-VM started working again. Sadly I only get 3-4 Miis.

What's strange is the fact that non of the Linux-VMs ever did. Not the original one, not the pre-modified one, not the the original one which you had to modify (see the discussion linked above).

Would be nice if of them had worked, power consumption is surely lower ...

Psionatix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
For whatever reason nzone.exe in my Windows-7-VM started working again. Sadly I only get 3-4 Miis.

What's strange is the fact that non of the Linux-VMs ever did. Not the original one, not the pre-modified one, not the the original one which you had to modify (see the discussion linked above).

Would be nice if of them had worked, power consumption is surely lower ...

How long have you left it cycling at one time? There are some times I only get 3~5 Mii's, then other times I get 6~8. Seems really random.

In any case, 3~4 Mii's at a time is still better than no HomePass I guess!

Liberty

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
How long have you left it cycling at one time? There are some times I only get 3~5 Mii's, then other times I get 6~8. Seems really random. In any case, 3~4 Mii's at a time is still better than no HomePass I guess!
5 hours and 3-4 if I have luck. Mostly I don't get any.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"