Hardware New 3ds "An has occured"on startup

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello,

i bought an used New Nintend 3ds (Monster Hunter Edition).

Everytime i try to power it up, it shows the following Message: "An error has occurred. Hold down the POWER Button to turn off the power, then turn it on and try again. For help, visit support nintendo com".

I checked all the ribbon cables, they are all conected.

I tried it with and without the SD-Card.

The only file on the SD-Card is a folder named "System Volume Information"

I searched the internet for quite a while now but i didnt find any fix.

I hope some of you can help me
I suggest you get a refund. Where was this bought? eBay has pretty good buyer protection, as does Amazon.

Kodahos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The known type of "black screens of death" on the N3DSXL is caused by a bad camera module. This was found out in this thread (quite a bit to read if you start from the beginning)
https://gbatemp.net/threads/new-3ds-xl-screens-only-display-recovery-mode.515760/page-2#post-8233328

The problem described there resulted in black screens in normal mode (no error message) and fully working recovery mode (hope I remember this correctly).

Here we have black screens in recovery mode… since you already opened the console, it might be worth a try to start it while having the camera disconnected.

Already tried that, same error...

Kodahos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Then it's not a ribbon cable problem. Gonna ask for the last time. Does to do anything when you hold select on boot? (I might have just missed your response)

When i hold select i get the same error as in the first post

I bought it as parts only, i have fun repairing NDS in my Freetime, tought it might be a hardware problem that i can fix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone. I'm in the same boat as you guys. This brick is a mystery!

@Kodahos, you mentioned you hear sound or background music playing with both the screens as black, yes?
  1. Does this happen when you try to boot to HOME Menu?
  2. Does this also happen when you enter Recovery Mode?
The best advice as stated before would be to hack the n3DS with NTRboot and then attempt firmware repair using CTRTransfer.
If neither GM9 and D9 varieties of CTRTransfer fixes this, be prepared to troubleshoot this from a hardware standpoint: camera component = prime suspect #1

Kodahos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello everyone. I'm in the same boat as you guys. This brick is a mystery!

@Kodahos, you mentioned you hear sound or background music playing with both the screens as black, yes?
  1. Does this happen when you try to boot to HOME Menu?
  2. Does this also happen when you enter Recovery Mode?
The best advice as stated before would be to hack the n3DS with NTRboot and then attempt firmware repair using CTRTransfer.
If neither GM9 and D9 varieties of CTRTransfer fixes this, be prepared to troubleshoot this from a hardware standpoint: camera component = prime suspect #1

2. It happens when i enter recovery Mode

When i start it normaly i get the "an error occured..." message every time.

I will check all the hardware componets when i get home tonight.
I dont have a second New 3ds around (only my 3ds xl for Gaming, but i dont want to open that one up.)
But i have an old 3ds, and some old 2ds around, the camera from them should work to?

I could only check the Firmware in a few Days, because i dont have a flash Card and would need to order one on the internet.

Last edited by Kodahos,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2. It happens when i enter recovery Mode

When i start it normaly i get the "an error occured..." message every time.

I will check all the hardware componets when i get home tonight.
I dont have a second New 3ds around (only my 3ds xl for Gaming, but i dont want to open that one up.)
But i have an old 3ds, and some old 2ds around, the camera from them should work to?

I could only check the Firmware in a few Days, because i dont have a flash Card and would need to order one on the internet.
Leave your o3DS and o2DS alone. Their parts are not cross compatible with the n3DS, and it would be pointless risk damaging them.

Do the hardware check after you hack the n3DS, backup the SysNAND *.bin image, and flash it with CTRTransfer.
You want to first exhaust software options before attempting hardware debugging.

If your CFW install goes well, in an application called GodMode9 you can safely test several hardware components.
  • Various button responses. Some of them will not be I/O observable.
  • LCDs and speakers are already verified good..
  • Sleep switch, SD card reader, and game cart slot reader are good if you successfully hack with ntrboot.
  • NAND check if you can boot Luma3DS or GodMode9 on CTRNAND (not from SD card).

That just leaves out IR port, cameras, touchscreen digitizer, 3D slider switch, c-stick, microphone, etc...

Kodahos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Leave your o3DS and o2DS alone. Their parts are not cross compatible with the n3DS, and it would be pointless risk damaging them.

Do the hardware check after you hack the n3DS, backup the SysNAND *.bin image, and flash it with CTRTransfer.
You want to first exhaust software options before attempting hardware debugging.

If your CFW install goes well, in an application called GodMode9 you can safely test several hardware components.
  • Various button responses. Some of them will not be I/O observable.
  • LCDs and speakers are already verified good..
  • Sleep switch, SD card reader, and game cart slot reader are good if you successfully hack with ntrboot.
  • NAND check if you can boot Luma3DS or GodMode9 on CTRNAND (not from SD card).

That just leaves out IR port, cameras, touchscreen digitizer, 3D slider switch, c-stick, microphone, etc...

I looked at the mainboard and the connectors for the cables, someone opened it once and "damaged" the connectors on the mainboard.
20190428_065342.jpg
20190428_065334.jpg

Some of the cables can just be pulled out, but if you try to pry open the connectors you damaged them.
Its possible to fix this issue by putting small plastic stripes between the connectoes and cables.

I will try that for all the connectors and report back. I just dont have much time the next days so maybe it will take a few days ro report back.

Last edited by Kodahos,

Kodahos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@TurdPooCharger
Thanks for adding the Links to the replacement parts.
I will try to fix it by doing the "plastic strips" trick first.

Maybe i will habe time tomorrow, or atleast at Wednesday (Public Holiday)

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TurdPooCharger
Thanks for adding the Links to the replacement parts.
I will try to fix it by doing the "plastic strips" trick first.

Maybe i will habe time tomorrow, or atleast at Wednesday (Public Holiday)
Speak more of this "plastic strips". Is it something like what is found in this thread?
Whatever it is that you do, avoid modifications that permanently damages the ribbon cable and the surface mounted portion of that black connector. You don't want to regret making it worse if all you needed is some patience waiting for a replacement flip piece.

Kodahos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Speak more of this "plastic strips". Is it something like what is found in this thread?
Whatever it is that you do, avoid modifications that permanently damages the ribbon cable and the surface mounted portion of that black connector. You don't want to regret making it worse if all you needed is some patience waiting for a replacement flip piece.

I already did this on another System.
I put a small plastic strip, the same size as the cable in the connector and the cable on top. Then the cable has connection to the top Part of the connector again.

Should be the same as you described in the thread you mentioned:
"!!! Don't throw in the towel, yet. Try wedging in thin pieces of paper, note card, and toothpicks in. It's not a long term fix when it does work after a while it'll loosen.

* Works with personal experience of breaking GBA, PSP, and iPod."

Kodahos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So i disassembled and reassembled the whole system, tried to start it with various parts disconnected, checked the connections but nothing did change.

I dont know what to do now, i dont want to invest any more Money in this console (dont want to buy a flashcard and try to recover the system).

I think im just gonna sell it as parts only, or maybe disassemble it and sell the parts seperatly. (The Shell is in a very good condition, like new)

Thank you all for trying to help me with the Problem .

Last edited by Kodahos,

Kodahos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So ill be getting another new 3ds today, where the cartdrige reader dosent work.

Im going to exhange the mainboards, then i will know if the fault is at the components or the mainboard.

Edit:
So i exhanged the mainboards and everything expect the top screen works (back light is on but screen is black).

So this is either a software issue or a broken main Board.

I will make one DS out of the two that i have and sell the spare parts.

Last edited by Kodahos,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah search Google