Hacking New 2TB USB Drive > Cfg.USBLoader + VC/WiiWare ISO Forwarding

madhartigan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After reading multiple Guides, I've come to a challenge I can't get around.

Multiple guides have told me that the best format for my 2TB drive is as a giant FAT32 partition.

Now that I've gotten to the guide describing how to play VC/WiiWare backups via USB, I've found that ISO Forwarding requires a WBFS partition.

I'm hoping that I'm incorrect.

I think my best (unashamedly n00b) question would be:

"Given a newly Softmodded Wii (using the maui guide) + 2TB MyBook WD drive, what is the best formatting/partitioning scheme I should use for my drive and what is the best way to run VC/WiiWare/Wii backups using the USB drive?"

I've completed the Play VC/WiiWare via ISO Forwarders Guide on another site and I get the error "Unable to find Loader.dol". Not sure how to get past this without following that guide VERBATIM and having to repartition my drive (5-6th time since trying all this Wii stuff) as a WBFS+FAT32 drive. (something MOST guides are telling me that I no longer need to do)

I've seen S/UNEEK
I've seen SNEEK+DI
I've seen Mighty Channels
I've seen ULoader
I've seen Config. USBLoader
I've seen USBLoader

I've seen more than I can think of, but they all seem to have caveats when trying to do one thing or another.

Is there a simple solution for what I'm looking to do?

I'm fairly proficient at understanding most of this, so if you want to simply link me to something that can help me without you having to write a drawn-out explanation, I can definitely work with that.

skx7

Trophies
XP
Country
the most important thing to understand is the following:

backups work from FAT/NTFS partitions

BUT a virtual nand like with UNEEK/SNEEK requires a FAT partition

my setup:
1st partition as FAT with virtual nand
2nd partition as NTFS with backups and other stuff

1st partition can be small as it will only serve as virtual nand with some wiiware titles. 5gb is enough if you are not a collector!

madhartigan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sakax said:
BUT a virtual nand like with UNEEK/SNEEK requires a FAT partition

That's where I'm running into trouble. I'm running a virtual NAND from a FAT32 partition. It should work from what I understand.

I followed the "[GUIDE] Play VC/Wiiware via ISO Forwaders [GUIDE]" at another site. (don't want to link it, but if you google that string it's the first result)

That guide "requires" a WBFS partition, but it's older so I hoped that that requirement was obsolete.

I used the Wii Backup Manager to place the ISO created by Wad2ISO on my USB Drive.

I copied the NandGames folder to the root of my USB Drive.

I feel like I followed every instruction and it's still telling me "unable to find Loader.dol" despite "Loader.dol" being in the NandGames folder in the root of the USB drive.

I'm trying to run this from Config USB Loader.

madhartigan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to give another guide called (again from a competitor's site, so no linky) "FAT32 Hard Drives - Formatting, Loading, Ripping, Playing"

It's updated as of 7/22/2011, so I'm hoping it works.

madhartigan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
following that guide helped me to eliminate the "unable to find Loader.dol" error, but now when I load the VC game, the screen goes black and nothing happens.

I think it might be a cIOS problem, but I really have no idea. If the output from SysCheck would assist anyone in diagnosing my issue, I can provide that.

madhartigan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because the answers I've found that are accurate are here. And I have asked questions there. Not as active a board I guess.

If there are guides that cover this topic as thoroughly as those at Wiihacks, I'm more than open to using them. I just haven't been able to find something in the Tutorials section that covers this.

I meant no offense by coming to a support forum about Wii Backup Loaders with questions based on information I found elsewhere. I had hoped that an open *forum* was just that, an *open* forum.

WalkerOfTheDay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
madhartigan said:
I meant no offense by coming to a support forum about Wii Backup Loaders with questions based on information I found elsewhere. I had hoped that an open *forum* was just that, an *open* forum.

This is an *open* forum, and I didn't mean to offend you either..
I just thought it might have been easier to ask questions about the tutorials you followed at
the place you got them from.

This seemed to be the most logical to me. But since you're stating you already did that, I understand that you're
seeking help elsewere.

My bad....

madhartigan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's cool.

I'm just rather jaded after tooling around the various tech forums. I often find "territorial" members who are only out to preserve the "sanctity" of their forum. Your tone initially sounded like that, so I responded in kind.

The fact of the matter is that I'm looking on every site I can find. It seems like there's no "one-stop" + "definitive" resource for what I'm looking to do.

With a bit of research today, I've found that ModMii (as I see in your signature) being used to set up a UNEEK+DI setup, combined with postloader2 may very well be the solution for all of my problems. I have to see how that goes.

ATM, postloader2 is a bit confusing to me, but I'm sure I'll understand its purpose/role soon enough.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol