• Views 8,982
  • Replies 11

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes they work fine, at least they do for the c stick on other New models. I imagine it's exactly the same stick on the 2ds since I can't see them wasting money producing a different stick design.

Just make sure they are the 1000 that you are getting, like in your link. Other psp sticks won't work because they are a full piece and not just the grip.

I did this mod on both N3DS and N3DS XL and it is leagues better than the standard nub. You can also change it without taking the unit apart if you aren't comfortable doing that.

Just don't glue the psp stick into the socket, I dunno why some ppl did that because it fits fine and barely moves unless you apply some intense pressure to it during use.

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
NO!! Those are shitty generics that'll fuck up your screen. You want the Insten brand caps.

Hate to break it to you, but your Insten branded caps, are also shitty generics. It's the same thing but they are only branded for ppl who need a brand name in order to trust a product. That's why you can find the same spare part, made in the same location, but by like 50 different companies. (I've bought a lot of cheap unbranded replacement parts/accessories from China, then when they've arrived some came in Insten branded packaging, only I didn't have to pay Amazon prices for it)

That thread with the screen damage is due to improper installation and/or someone has been forcing the clamshell together really hard. Not to mention the OP thinks his damage is to the screen, but you can remove that plastic cover without even opening the unit up and the screen would be just fine underneath. (they're not even glued together)

I have generic replacement caps, I bought white ones from one company, then a while later I got black ones from this seller .(I got packs of 10, didn't even cost £1) Never had any screen damage problems on any of the units I installed them on, inlcuding my own.
IMG_20190528_164623.jpg
IMG_20190528_164550.jpg
And as you can see, the caps I have are raised slightly above the unit (which is by design), but they don't exceed the bezel for the touchscreen. Plus there are bumpers on the top screen which add about 1mm extra to that gap.

So no, he doesn't need "branded" non-shitty generics, he just needs to know what he's doing and check the clearance against the touch screen bezel. If the cap goes above the bezel, like in that thread, try fitting it again, or just take it off and shave down the stem a little, problem solved. Your Insten branded caps just have a shorter stem (cheaper to produce).

So yeah OP go ahead and buy whichever ones you want, so long as they are for the psp 1000, just check the clearance before you start smashing the clamshell closed.
No need to buy branded, just be careful and always check things before you start using them. That's how most people mess their shit up on this site, bricking units, not having nand backups etc, a little research and caution can save you a headache, even as little as the one seen in the thread above.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hate to break it to you, but your Insten branded caps, are also shitty generics. It's the same thing but they are only branded for ppl who need a brand name in order to trust a product. That's why you can find the same spare part, made in the same location, but by like 50 different companies. (I've bought a lot of cheap unbranded replacement parts/accessories from China, then when they've arrived some came in Insten branded packaging, only I didn't have to pay Amazon prices for it)

That thread with the screen damage is due to improper installation and/or someone has been forcing the clamshell together really hard. Not to mention the OP thinks his damage is to the screen, but you can remove that plastic cover without even opening the unit up and the screen would be just fine underneath. (they're not even glued together)

I have generic replacement caps, I bought white ones from one company, then a while later I got black ones from this seller .(I got packs of 10, didn't even cost £1) Never had any screen damage problems on any of the units I installed them on, inlcuding my own.
And as you can see, the caps I have are raised slightly above the unit (which is by design), but they don't exceed the bezel for the touchscreen. Plus there are bumpers on the top screen which add about 1mm extra to that gap.

So no, he doesn't need "branded" non-shitty generics, he just needs to know what he's doing and check the clearance against the touch screen bezel. If the cap goes above the bezel, like in that thread, try fitting it again, or just take it off and shave down the stem a little, problem solved. Your Insten branded caps just have a shorter stem (cheaper to produce).

So yeah OP go ahead and buy whichever ones you want, so long as they are for the psp 1000, just check the clearance before you start smashing the clamshell closed.
No need to buy branded, just be careful and always check things before you start using them. That's how most people mess their shit up on this site, bricking units, not having nand backups etc, a little research and caution can save you a headache, even as little as the one seen in the thread above.
They are not the same thing. Had you read that thread, the messed up spot is due to poor part's manufactured tolerance and not improper installation. I only recommend the Insten brand because it does pay to have a higher quality part for something seemingly simple.
There are multiple manufacturing plants in China that make the same products but not with the same fit and finish. @Missingphy can gamble buying a generic that may or may not be unsolicited Insten, but if he gets a shitty cap and has to put some effort evenly sanding down the bottom surface to make it work, the fault would be on him if the cap doesn't sit leveled, flushed, and low enough to not bump the glass panel.

He also doesn't have buy at Amazon as eBay does stock them. I'm not sure how much they cost over at Europe, but here in the USA the cheapest 6x unbranded generic is around US $0.94-99 versus US $2.39 from a well established outlet by most sales (1x cap) or US $1.79 from another well known vendor (3x caps). Is it too much to ask spending an additional dollar to ensure you get a few good caps?

If he doesn't want to mess with the Sony PSP-1000 caps as they tend to wobble (read my hardmod tutorial/review sig link as to why it happens), I personally recommend that casual 3DS users get the Lenovo TrackPoint if they can afford & wait for those fine red nipples.

D

Deleted User

OP
They are not the same thing. Had you read that thread, the messed up spot is due to poor part's manufactured tolerance and not improper installation. I only recommend the Insten brand because it does pay to have a higher quality part for something seemingly simple.
There are multiple manufacturing plants in China that make the same products but not with the same fit and finish. @Missingphy can gamble buying a generic that may or may not be unsolicited Insten, but if he gets a shitty cap and has to put some effort evenly sanding down the bottom surface to make it work, the fault would be on him if the cap doesn't sit leveled, flushed, and low enough to not bump the glass panel.

He also doesn't have buy at Amazon as eBay does stock them. I'm not sure how much they cost over at Europe, but here in the USA the cheapest 6x unbranded generic is around US $0.94-99 versus US $2.39 from a well established outlet by most sales (1x cap) or US $1.79 from another well known vendor (3x caps). Is it too much to ask spending an additional dollar to ensure you get a few good caps?

If he doesn't want to mess with the Sony PSP-1000 caps as they tend to wobble (read my hardmod tutorial/review sig link as to why it happens), I personally recommend that casual 3DS users get the Lenovo TrackPoint if they can afford & wait for those fine red nipples.
Have you done the mod on an actual N2DS XL? Could you link me to those insten caps?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you done the mod on an actual N2DS XL? Could you link me to those insten caps?
I have not done the PSP cap c-stick mod on the n2DSXL but on my n3DSXL and niece's n3DS. The mod works all the same for all three systems. For proof, see alonzondavis thread, IMG_1674.JPG.

The two links I posted in my last reply does not offer shipping to Mexico. I originally mistaken your flag flair as Italy. In your situation, you might have to resort to unbranded generic.

You can also get them in many different colors.
As mentioned before, another option is the Lenovo. Unfortunately, the official Lenovo's Mexico branch e-store also doesn't offer directly selling their super low profile TrackPoint nubs to their consumers.
You can resort with 3rd party eBay seller at the tune of US $3.33 per nub or $2.83 per nub if you buy two (2) [yikes!]; for comparison, 10x nubs sold from US lenovo costs ~ US $14 ($1.4/nub).

D

Deleted User

OP
I have not done the PSP cap c-stick mod on the n2DSXL but on my n3DSXL and niece's n3DS. The mod works all the same for all three systems. For proof, see alonzondavis thread, IMG_1674.JPG.

The two links I posted in my last reply does not offer shipping to Mexico. I originally mistaken your flag flair as Italy. In your situation, you might have to resort to unbranded generic.

You can also get them in many different colors.
As mentioned before, another option is the Lenovo. Unfortunately, the official Lenovo's Mexico branch e-store also doesn't offer directly selling their super low profile TrackPoint nubs to their consumers.
You can resort with 3rd party eBay seller at the tune of US $3.33 per nub or $2.83 per nub if you buy two (2) [yikes!]; for comparison, 10x nubs sold from US lenovo costs ~ US $14 ($1.4/nub).
No problem. I have a friend now the us that often receives packages for me, and then I go to his house and take them. So which ones are the ones that you would recommend most?

Last edited by ,

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Yes I read it, yes if he installed it, used it for half a year and never even noticed it was clearly far too high and was hitting off the screen, then it's not just the part that is to blame. Also yeah they kinda are the same thing, granted there are different factories and due to third party guess work, the tolerances might be off in some of them. But I was trying to elaborate on your answer of a straight up "no", which is wrong to state as a fact.

I recognised the brand name you mentioned because I have bought a bunch of parts/accessories for my vita and ps4 from unbranded chinese sellers, and they arrived with Insten logos branded onto them where applicable. So just saying "no, all cheap unbranded are shit quality, get the brand I trust" is wrong if I can buy cheap unbranded and they are legit the exact same part right down to the branding (which again, branding means nothing in most cases). And Amazon was just an example of another retailer, op did link to ebay after all, I know it's there.

I mentioned the sanding for if he gets a bad cap, which could also happen to the ones you linked him, or the ones I linked, as neither of us can vouch for the quality control just because we ordered a few items from the same company. There's also no need to worry about perfectly even sanding, as I meant to shorten the stem a little in the event that it was too long. Around the base of the cap and stem is a circular extrusion, even if the stem was uneven that would cause it so sit flush with the unit.

Not to mention, paying a higher price doesn't quarantee a higher quality product. So saying that you can't go wrong with what you strongly recommend doesn't make sense, so I offered another option in case you scared OP into thinking he has to get that one cos unbranded will destroy his screen, which isn't true. Notice I didn't mention the Lenovo. No need to start getting your twist on.

Last edited by Rasa39,

fragged

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the "Haobase" brand PSP sticks off Amazon, I'm sure glad I got a 3 pack, even by the same company each stick itself can vary in quality. The first one I tried never stuck all the way down and you could always get it tilted to one side with pressure. The second one I tried is rock solid and I can't get it to move under any circumstances, it feels like it's glued on. My advice is to get a muli pack and find the one with the best fit.

Reactions: Rasa39

plug313

Trophies
XP
Country
I bought a pack of generic white ones for my New 3DS and they worked fine never did any damage, then I bought another generic pack in pink color and they worked fine too. didn't even know there were brands to choose from lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1