New 2DS XL Motherboard Pictures

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Marmotta, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Marmotta
    OP

Marmotta Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2016
    I imported a 2DS XL from New Zealand and of course the first thing I did was to take it apart, take some pics and offer a few of my thoughts on the console.

Pros:
    - Fewest screws in any 3DS I've seen - total of 13 screws to remove the motherboard
    - A single motherboard, with almost everything accessible from one side
    - Micro SD slot accessible

Cons:
    - Hardest 3DS to open, only 4 triwing screws, but lots of clips around the whole frame
    - Poor board layout, with loads of cables poking through holes all over the board and uneven edges - miles apart from the original XL board
    - TN panels. I was hoping the screens would be cross-compatible with 3DS XL screens, so that an IPS 2DS XL would be a possibility, but even if they were, the LCD connector positioning doesn't allow for it
    - Feels cheaper to me. I know a lot of people have been saying they like it, but it definitely feels a lot more like a cheap plastic toy than the New 3DS XL
    - Battery held down with adhesive, even though there's no need for it. Smaller capacity than other models at only 1300mAh (vs 1750mAh).
    - No test points for the NAND

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Could you post a label-side-up pic of the battery please?
    Nice MB pics btw. Seems like they were trying to make hardmodding difficult from what you're describing, but ntrboothax makes that a moot point anyway.

btw - here's some more herp-derp teardown attempts for your amusement :P

Last edited by zoogie, Jun 23, 2017
  3. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko 3DS Hardmoder

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Whatever anyone says, it looks nice and clean

zoogie likes this.
  4. Most-Wanted

Most-Wanted 3D OLED TV'S /o/

Apr 2, 2017
    Ewww Nintendo has done it again , Tn and more Cons

Tekniquez likes this.
  5. XDee

XDee Member

Newcomer
    Jun 13, 2016
    Well, they do need some sort of access to program the NAND in the factory, I highly doubt the preprogram the chips before soldering as it's a pain in the ass (the pins are affected by humidity and don't solder properly if they are handled too much before PCB assembly).

Have you tried to see if those 5 test points neatly placed together below the wifi module maybe are the NAND access? Also there is a possibility they might be on the other side.

Last edited by XDee, Jul 31, 2017
  6. cory1492

cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 23, 2005
    Canada
    Home, WhereElse?
    If they are able to boot via the card slot/magnet stuff, there is no need to use test access points at manufacture - a pre-loaded mfg cart, or a cart plus SD card could do. That said test access points are generally used to automate QA/QC so they don't have to wait until everything is assembled and a human is looking at it to tell if a board is a discard, it would make sense to test the BGA for the MMC earlier rather than later.

Am I the only one that loves the silkscreen on that one chip...? "P1KBAIT" - thanks for the pics Marmotta, good for at least a late night chuckle over here.

7. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Where have I seen that before :P
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/n3ds-xl-10-5-downgrade-not-possible.416913/

8. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I watched the tear down video, reminds me of tearing down a cell phone.

9. XDee

XDee Member

Newcomer
    Jun 13, 2016
    You are right, but using cart/sdcard to program the NAND would probably involve a human, while test points allow the testing machine to do it

10. cory1492

cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 23, 2005
    Canada
    Home, WhereElse?
    I'd agree, but it looks to me like they do have test points for the cart and sd card slot so...

11. Marmotta
    OP

Marmotta Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2016
    Sorry it took me so long to reply. Here's a picture of the battery:

[​IMG]

I did see that guy's video teardown and although kudos to him for doing it, he made a complete mess of the console.

zoogie likes this.
  12. consolex

consolex Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2016
    France
    After test it's good ;)

-READ NAND OK
    -WRITE NAND OK !!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. hofotureas

hofotureas Member

Newcomer
    Jun 8, 2015
    United States
    @consolex, thank you for pointing out the pins.
    could you please answer an uneducated question: In your pic you bridge both pins. while soldering, should they be bridged too, or should be soldered on right or left pin?

14. consolex

consolex Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2016
    France
    Not important the 2 are good

15. Marmotta
    OP

Marmotta Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2016
    I was actually going to mention those pins as possible points when I posted yesterday, because the traces run diagonally on the other side of the board from the same area as the NAND, but didn't want to risk talking nonsense.

Regardless, as I mentioned before, I really don't think it's worth bothering with the 2DS XL. It feels cheap, the screens are poor quality and it's a pain to access the pins. It's also currently a more expensive alternative to a good condition used 3DS XL.

16. Tekniquez

Tekniquez Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    I was realy considering one as i already have a 3ds/cfw.... But ive been looking up specs and this post finally made me decide against it. That whole cheap feel and look to it always keeps coming up. I feel as if this thing fell one good time its toast as i also keep hearing how light it feels. Ty for the info im guna pass on this and get a switch instead

17. consolex

consolex Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2016
    France