Hardware New 2ds xl fuse locations?

Risingsunz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I have a console that charges and gets the charging indicator, but no power or blue power indicator light when turned on. Also no popping sound or light flash either. On the older versions you could usually fix this by replacing the fuses or the daughter/button board, but the 2ds xl is just one big motherboard and not nicely labeled, but i can see that the charger ic circuit looks the same, just moved to below the battery. But no fuse? Im guessing probably some bad ic or switch. Also could anyone identify the ICs on the board, tried googling and couldn't find anything

Maplebaconjulio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently in the same position. I did find two SMD components that appeared to be fuses based off of images for similar consoles but they both tested for continuity. I purchased the console assuming it would be as simple as that or a battery issue because it was described as no blue light just like you said. It is completely unresponsive when pressing power. No lights, no screen flicker, no popping sound, nothing. The charging light does come on however and I've tested using a known working battery from my girlfriend's 2ds XL which still didn't work. Using the battery from the nonworking 2ds XL in my girlfriend's 2ds XL worked to power her good console so i know it's not an issue with the battery. The console itself is absolutely flawless cosmetically. I mean, not a single scratch, scuff, fingerprint, anything. It is in brand new condition and was sold to me with the original box. I'm going to take pictures when i get home of the two locations I believe to be fuses to see if maybe that helps you. I don't want to keep taking apart my girlfriend's 2ds XL but I may have to keep using hers as a reference for voltage testing points and how components test in circuit to diagnose this. I really want to get this one working.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently in the same position. I did find two SMD components that appeared to be fuses based off of images for similar consoles but they both tested for continuity. I purchased the console assuming it would be as simple as that or a battery issue because it was described as no blue light just like you said. It is completely unresponsive when pressing power. No lights, no screen flicker, no popping sound, nothing. The charging light does come on however and I've tested using a known working battery from my girlfriend's 2ds XL which still didn't work. Using the battery from the nonworking 2ds XL in my girlfriend's 2ds XL worked to power her good console so i know it's not an issue with the battery. The console itself is absolutely flawless cosmetically. I mean, not a single scratch, scuff, fingerprint, anything. It is in brand new condition and was sold to me with the original box. I'm going to take pictures when i get home of the two locations I believe to be fuses to see if maybe that helps you. I don't want to keep taking apart my girlfriend's 2ds XL but I may have to keep using hers as a reference for voltage testing points and how components test in circuit to diagnose this. I really want to get this one working.
As you already found out, Nintendo created the n2DSXL with little regard to repair-ability. None of the components are labelled.
You can try probing every tan colored, ceramic capacitor for continuity.

Another possible cause
Your no power issue could be due to broken push button, which is also used on the shoulder triggers and is notorious for premature wear.

Reactions: Maplebaconjulio

Maplebaconjulio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another possible cause
Your no power issue could be due to broken push button, which is also used on the shoulder triggers and is notorious for premature wear

Thanks for the suggestions and also for providing pictures for everyone. I did consider the push button being the issue itself because it didnt really feel tactile so I though it could be worn internally. I think I remember I had my meter in continuity mode and checked for continuity between different contacts where the battery contacts are and the button but I did not really examine the circuit enough itself to determine where all the traces are going and what components they are going through. I'll have to thoroughly examine it tonight and test again. Thanks. I'll post my results later.

Last edited by Maplebaconjulio,

Maplebaconjulio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I retested the two fuses I could find. One is near the power button itself and the other close to the charging port. Both tested for continuity. They are tiny SMD fuses that are green labled "H". I tested the trigger buttons to determine what legs of the buttons join when open and switched closed so I could then test the power button switch itself. The buttons have 3 pins. The two outer ones show continuity to ground. When pressed, the middle pin is joined. The power button switch tested normal when pressed: I had continuity to the two outer pins only when pressed. I didn't have time to check other components near the power button but I will when I get home. I will test each smd component and compare my readings to my girlfriends working 2ds xl so see if I can find anything not matching up. Hopefully, I find something.

Maplebaconjulio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured it's worth sharing. I ultimately just gave up on this one. I was comparing different testing points and components to my girlfriends working one but those screws strip so easily so I didn't want to keep taking it apart and I couldn't leave it apart. The problem was definitely with the power circuit. Unfortunately, even if I isolated to one component, I wouldn't be able to replace it most likely anyways. Board isn't labled and components aren't labled or they are but return no results when googling. One thing I noticed was something that looked like an SMD MOSFET that failed testing with my meter in diode mode. My plan was to compare it to my girlfriends but I just didnt want to take hers apart again. It was testing open from any leg to any other leg. Didnt matter polarity which made me think it might be bad if it was what I thought but I never removed it from the circuit to be sure. Ended up just selling it on Ebay for parts as not working.

Last edited by Maplebaconjulio,
Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you doing @K3Nv2