Hacking New 2ds on 11.1.0 dsiware removed, what now. HardMod or will sky3ds+ just work on unmodded device

ARVI80

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The title sais it all.

New 2ds on 11.1.0, dsiware removed so what now. Hard Mod or will sky3ds+ card just work on unmodded device.

New to 3ds scene and unsure about skycards.
Any help is appreciated :)

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The title sais it all.

New 2ds on 11.1.0, dsiware removed so what now. Hard Mod or will sky3ds+ card just work on unmodded device.

If you have a previous nand backup, hardmod is fine, and sky3ds+ will work on a stock console

ARVI80

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If you're wanting to downgrade etc you're best off with a hardmod.

If you have a previous nand backup, hardmod is fine, and sky3ds+ will work on a stock console

Thanks for the quick replys.
Is a previous nand backup necessary to be able to attain a hardmod? Would a hardmod be more beneficial in the long run over just a skycard? I understand homebrew will be an added bonus but will I have more control in terms of longevity through future updates and will access to more system resources be beneficial as a user or more so as a dev? :)

Last edited by ARVI80,

proflayton123

The Temp Loaf'
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Japan
Thanks for the quick replys.
Is a previous nand backup necessary to be able to attain a hardmod? Would a hardmod be more beneficial in the long run over just a skycard? I understand homebrew will be an added bonus but will I have more control in terms of longevity through future updates and will access to more system resources be beneficial as a user or more so as a dev? :)

@gamesquest1 @vb_encryption_vb could confirm this. A hardmod in the long run is being very beneficial in case you ever bricked, although you can have temporary ones installed. Well, what are you wanting to do? If you give info it'll be more helpful :)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
personally if your doing a hard mod to install a9lh then unless you just plan to keep it to be safe or you plan on experimenting with experimental new a9lh builds then you can opt for a temp mod and a9lh setup, it would be cheaper and offer more options than a sky3ds card

ARVI80

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@gamesquest1 @vb_encryption_vb could confirm this. A hardmod in the long run is being very beneficial in case you ever bricked, although you can have temporary ones installed. Well, what are you wanting to do? If you give info it'll be more helpful :)
I'm really not sure what I want to do. lol
I'm happy to perma hardmod as long as a previous nand backup is not mandatory as I have none, this is a brand new 2ds already on 11.1.0

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I'm really not sure what I want to do. lol
I'm happy to perma hardmod as long as a previous nand backup is not mandatory as I have none, this is a brand new 2ds already on 11.1.0
yeah a hard mod downgrade can be done on any fw 11.0-11.2, so a hard mod would allow you to downgrade and install a9lh without having a old nand backup

ARVI80

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
personally if your doing a hard mod to install a9lh then unless you just plan to keep it to be safe or you plan on experimenting with experimental new a9lh builds then you can opt for a temp mod and a9lh setup, it would be cheaper and offer more options than a sky3ds card

yeah a hard mod downgrade can be done on any fw 11.0-11.2, so a hard mod would allow you to downgrade and install a9lh without having a old nand backup

Hard mod, downgrade, install a9lh. Awesome, thanks for explaining you made that simple :)

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
could I prepare DSiwarehax on my emunand machine and then transfer it to a new 3DS that I want to hack? Then afterwards just recover my emunand from an image and have everything as I had before the transfer?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
could I prepare DSiwarehax on my emunand machine and then transfer it to a new 3DS that I want to hack? Then afterwards just recover my emunand from an image and have everything as I had before the transfer?
Yes you can buy the DSiWare on your emuNAND and restore it - but note that if you try to access eShop or anything like that, your bought games will disappear off your console (until you access the eShop your console thinks it is linked to the NNID that bought them, but then the internet tells the console it's not allowed to use them, so they disappear). Also, if you play online with the transferred system and your restored emuNAND at the samw time, there will be bans, since that would be two consoles with the same ID online at once.

SEAgreen206

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Motherboard swap, since it's a 2DS, is also an "affordable" option. I had someone off eBay swap my motherboards for me. Cost about $30 installed with shipping both ways. Came with FW version 6. You can always sell the original motherboard to make your money back.

Last edited by SEAgreen206,
Reactions: ARVI80

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The title sais it all.

Like some people mentioned hardmod is an option, but a cheaper route would probably be to send it to someone to get it DSiWare downgraded.

Reactions: ARVI80

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes you can buy the DSiWare on your emuNAND and restore it - but note that if you try to access eShop or anything like that, your bought games will disappear off your console (until you access the eShop your console thinks it is linked to the NNID that bought them, but then the internet tells the console it's not allowed to use them, so they disappear). Also, if you play online with the transferred system and your restored emuNAND at the samw time, there will be bans, since that would be two consoles with the same ID online at once.

good to know. so I won't recover the emunand or not use the NNID to play online. thank you.

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hard mod, downgrade, install a9lh. Awesome, thanks for explaining you made that simple :)

You seem like you've decided already, but here's something to think about as well:

Sky3DS works as is, but Pokemon SuMo do not work on it. This might be fixed later, but it's been a while already.. Other soon-to-be released games might not work as well. In addition, with Sky3DS you will be using roms. These roms have a private header on them, and each game cartridge has an unique one. If you're using a downloaded one, and everyone else is using the same one, then it's pretty obvious that going online with such a rom would get you banned.

A9LH+Luma will let you stay on newest FW always, and install variety of Homebrew applications, of which the most popular I'd imagine is freeShop. With FS, you can download all games that can be found in eShop - but for free. These games can also be played online because CIA's do not have private headers in them at all, so there's no way for Nintendo to tell whether that game is legit or not. Zero chance of getting banned. And well, technically freeShop games ARE legit since you're downloading them from Nintendo's servers anyway.

I'm sure there's wayyyyyyyyyy more pros for A9LH but eh, the choice should be obvious. Idk why Sky3DS is even a thing people use anymore - it's just trash man. I almost feel ashamed that not even a month ago I was still using Gateway myself .. just .. so .. bad.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    +1
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    +1
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    +1
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    +1
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    @K3Nv2 you said instructions with pictures, same difference
    Lol now with 32GBs of VRAM Ken?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No IKEA shit breaks within a month bed bath and beyond goes beyond
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Plus pictures don't always cut it with furniture when there's like 10 different bolt styles and they're just like figure it out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's not like how people whack it to uremums onlyfans :teach:
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's not like how people whack it to uremums onlyfans :teach: