New 2DS 8.1.0-19E Noob Questions

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by PiFi, Nov 6, 2015.

1. PiFi
    OP

PiFi Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2015
    Hi guys,

To start things off, I have read the Noob guide and the Wiki but I feel like a small fish in an ocean of information.

I am not new to modifying game devices but this is the first time I have ever owned a NDS device, and I don't want to dive in and make errors resulting in updates to the firmware etc, and was hoping one of the more seasoned members here could give me some pointers.

I have just purchased a 2DS brand new from Tesco with Mario Kart 7 installed for £39.99 (it was a bargain and the only reason I bought the device), now I would like to play 'backup roms' on the device and i've read some things that it is not possible or that i shouldn't upgrade the FW to anything above 9.2.

As it stands I have turned on the device once to check the FW and it is currently on 8.1.0-19E, what are my options?

I'm not looking to homebrew as I'm not that interested in installing music players or custom software, I'm just looking to play some classic roms such as Pokemon and Mario games.

My biggest problem is that I can't find any 2DS specific information but I guess it comes under 3DS as it is practically the same minus the 3D'ness :)

Thanks in advance, and sorry if it's not the right place, i'm off to read up some more on the forums but I don't think i'll touch the device until I get some advice.

2. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    you should be able to run a custom firmware like RxTools 3 (with pasta) via a copy of cubic ninja or the web browser exploit. if you find a 9.0-9.2 firmware game cart, you can upgrade to have access to themes among other things

Last edited by driverdis, Nov 6, 2015
    PiFi likes this.
  3. PiFi
    OP

PiFi Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2015
    Thanks for the quick reply driverdis, I have looked up Rxtools 3 and seen that it supports booting roms, have you got any tutorials from Gbatemp that you recommend?

I got the impression that Rxtools is a CFW, do I need any other hardware in order to boot roms from SD ?

4. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    use this guide [Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (3DS and 2DS) it does have a lot of info (lil fish big pond) but for this guide all you need is internet a sd card and a (2ds/3ds/n3ds)
    and yes rxtools is a cfw

btw all the 3ds cfw guides look intimidating the first time around
    also the guide i linked you also has a video version and a link to another guide with pics of every step so you can choose your own pace

Last edited by wormdood, Nov 6, 2015
  5. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    %99 of tutorials for 3DS apply for 2DS, the only things you shouldn't be trying to do is downgrade the firmware or downgrade the system settings app to 4.x (which it was pretty common to do with a regular 3DS until a couple of months ago in order to use the mset exploit).

This is because the 2DS didn't exist at that time so the firmware doesn't have the 2DS information and when you format it, it will ask you to move the 3D slider on yo test it, since 2DS doesn't have 3D naturally doesn't have the slider neither... And you get perma-stuck in there.

Best thing to do is follow the guide above to set up a NAND backup, emunand, rxTools, a cia manager (to install backups) and then MANUALLY update to 9.2 and set up Menuhax + Ctrbootmanager to autoboot rxTools from a coldboot.

MelonGx and wormdood like this.
  6. MelonGx

MelonGx GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 8, 2009
    China
    Yeah.
    Formatting 2DS with MSET 4.X bricks it.

7. PiFi
    OP

PiFi Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2015
    Hey guys,

So last night I was up to 5 AM following a video tutorial along with the tutorial thread and its all going well.

I have the emuNand and rxTools installed, I currently have to use the rxTools browser hack to access the emuNand and then use FBI I believe to install CIA's, I have played a couple already so its working ok.

What I was wondering is now what is the next step ?

I have read about devMenu, should I use that ? Is there a way to convert of install .3DS files on the 2DS as I am using a Macbook. I am still using the RX3D 8.1.0-19E FW on the emuNand, should I update this?

Lots of questions but I hope it makes sense.

8. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    if you have not made nand and emunand backup do it then if you havent unlinked nands yet i advise you do so
    as for devmenu its a cia installer, fbi serves the same purpose but if you want to you can get the cia of devmenu and install it using fbi
    and as for conversion on a mac i am not sure i personally know of windows programs only sorry . . . but i dont even use them i am a pirate so i google "3ds.cia" and use a link there
    aslo heck yeah update emunand. make sure you follow this quote exactly

Last edited by wormdood, Nov 7, 2015
    samiam144 and PiFi like this.
  9. PiFi
    OP

PiFi Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2015
    Thanks Wormdood, my nands were already split but I have just started the update on the emuNand, hope I don't run into any problems.

I just found a great site to download CIA's directly but I don't know If I'm allowed to share it here, but I guess everyone knows about it anyway.

Is there a way to boot straight into the emuNand or do I have to rely on the rxTools url method ?

10. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    i assume the update went well
    and no site names or links allowed but if you can find another way to say it like . . . that iso website related to the 3ds . . . or google 3ds cia there is a good reddit link . . . so on and so forth
    i found a few good ones myself hint
    and there are many ways to boot rxtools the most popular is menuhax (previously named themehax) here is a video if it in action
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=LcAMVMpXjzo if you wanna go that route you can find instructions here
    there is also mset (ds profile hack)that will let you boot rxtools from ds profile in system settings app instructions are in the first link i gave you (it has a bunch of text boxes so a direct quote would look horrible)
    by the way your basic cfw install is finished that is after you pick one or both of these boot methods so you no longer need internet to boot rxtools

samiam144 likes this.