New 2D Sonic game, Sonic Mania announced for PS4/XB1/PC

Coming right from a panel at Comic Con, is SEGA's latest Sonic game. It'll be developed by Christian Whitehead, the man behind the mobile ports of Sonic 1, 2 and CD. Titled Sonic Mania, it's set to release on Playstation 4, Xbox One, and PC platforms in Spring 2017. According to the trailer, it appears to be a return to classic 2D form for the series. There's special stages, 3 playable characters (Sonic, Tails and Knuckles), and old school Genesis era graphics.

:arrow: You can find a little bit of footage: HERE

Developed in collaboration between SEGA, Christian Whitehead, Headcannon, and PagodaWest Games, experience new zones and remixed classic levels with Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles!

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
@InsaneNutter

Thats your opinion and your welcome to hold whatever you want but the Sonic Advance games, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Rush, Sonic Colors were well respectable games by both fans and critics. I sincerely doubt you played these games if you couldnt even give them consideration as decent at the very least. Not saying you have to like them but acknowledge they are at least good.

Sonic Unleashed was one of the biggest disappointments for me, I played the demo and it's this fast paced action Sonic game, which is a lot of fun! Then you play the actual game and Sonic turns in to a Werehog and the games padded out with loads of story that's doesn't really add anything of value to the game. That game got mixed reviews at best. However the fan made "Sonic Unleashed Project" on PC is amazing.

Sonic Colors was ok, however I didn't personally wow me or stand out like like Generations did. It was average at best to me.

I'll admit I had forgot about the first Sonic Advanced released back in 2001 which i did enjoy enjoy a lot, I still have my fully boxed game of that somewhere :) as for Sonic Rush I have never played or paid much attention to.

In general through the big core games in the series I've been let down by, however fair play people obviously like them which is cool. I was simply giving my opinion that many of the newer games have started out looking good to me, then been a disappointment.

Sonic Mania does look good though, so I really hope it's exactly like that trailer and i'm sold on it :)

Reactions: RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonic Unleashed was one of the biggest disappointments for me, I played the demo and it's this fast paced action Sonic game, which is a lot of fun! Then you play the actual game and Sonic turns in to a Werehog and the games padded out with loads of story that's doesn't really add anything of value to the game. That game got mixed reviews at best. However the fan made "Sonic Unleashed Project" on PC is amazing.

Sonic Colors was ok, however I didn't personally wow me or stand out like like Generations did. It was average at best to me.

I'll admit I had forgot about the first Sonic Advanced released back in 2001 which i did enjoy enjoy a lot, I still have my fully boxed game of that somewhere :) as for Sonic Rush I have never played or paid much attention to.

In general through the big core games in the series I've been let down by, however fair play people obviously like them which is cool. I was simply giving my opinion that many of the newer games have started out looking good to me, then been a disappointment.

Sonic Mania does look good though, so I really hope it's exactly like that trailer and i'm sold on it :)
At least you can admit they were good games despite whether you personally liked them or not, thats all thats important. *thumbs up*

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looks absolutely incredible! I can barely believe what I'm seeing - they literally have the dream team working on the game and even top it off with a soundtrack by Tee Lopes (never heard of him? Click here - he knows how to do Sonic remixes/tributes).

I never thought SEGA would actually give in and "outsource" a mainline Sonic title but I guess they finally decided it was time for some actual quality. The team behind this are definitely going to pour their heart and souls into this and it already shows with the incredible pixel art, level design, physics and references to old SEGA titles.

Can't wait! This is what Sonic 4 should have been. I just hope it has a decent amount of zones and replayability.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The music in that trailer is fucking awesome, if the OST is anything like that I'm going to have to play this even though I was never a huge Sonic fan (didn't grow up with the games, never had a Sega console or knew anyone with one)

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Looks absolutely incredible! I can barely believe what I'm seeing - they literally have the dream team working on the game and even top it off with a soundtrack by Tee Lopes (never heard of him? Click here - he knows how to do Sonic remixes/tributes).

I just checked out Tee Lopes and his music is amazing! Thanks!

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sound like some of you didn't really like sonic 4 series. :mellow:

Promise me you will have debug mode and i just may forgive you for this. :D
I wish sonic 4 had this. I WISH MORE GAMES HAD THIS!:unsure:
Debug.png

D

Deleted-379826

Hope it's good. Although still don't have enough for a ps4 rip. At least I have a pc. Not the greatest but this should be easy to run right?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jesus those sprites so look fluid well I'll be playing this when it get's released
To be honest since it didn't say sonic team in the trailer for the game, i don't think it uses some of the retro inspired engine based on the megadrive games. But i could be wrong. It says it made by christan whitehead who is known for using retro engine so maybe is just easily modify megadrive engine. If you ever seen the android ios port of the sonic games like sonic CD Sonic 1 and 2, you can tell how improved the game look by never ever slowing down like you would if on genesis, and the bonus stages used to motion in slow pace framerate on genesis but don't on retro engine which is good. :)

To be honest it look like one of the dozens of fan games that i see people make on pc every year at what they call SAGE (Sonic ameture games expo) Where group of people showcase sonic genesis mods or games using fan made game engines and such. It just seem more like that than a game sega made, which is why i figured since sonic team didn't show up in the trailer. :P

The game could easily look just like this but with 16 bit rendered pixels and such and i would have been happy for like a HD Collection for something like "Sonic the hedgehog Master Emerald collection, A collection of classic sonic games in HD fully remade and done with new twist." :P

sonic-2-hd-06-700x393.png

AyanamiRei0

GBATemp's Resident Evangelion fanboy.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To be honest since it didn't say sonic team in the trailer for the game, i don't think it uses some of the retro inspired engine based on the megadrive games. But i could be wrong. It says it made by christan whitehead who is known for using retro engine so maybe is just easily modify megadrive engine. If you ever seen the android ios port of the sonic games like sonic CD Sonic 1 and 2, you can tell how improved the game look by never ever slowing down like you would if on genesis, and the bonus stages used to motion in slow pace framerate on genesis but don't on retro engine which is good. :)

To be honest it look like one of the dozens of fan games that i see people make on pc every year at what they call SAGE (Sonic ameture games expo) Where group of people showcase sonic genesis mods or games using fan made game engines and such. It just seem more like that than a game sega made, which is why i figured since sonic team didn't show up in the trailer. :P

The game could easily look just like this but with 16 bit rendered pixels and such and i would have been happy for like a HD Collection for something like "Sonic the hedgehog Master Emerald collection, A collection of classic sonic games in HD fully remade and done with new twist." :P

sonic-2-hd-06-700x393.png

Oh I've known about that stuff for ages I just liked the sprites

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/