Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition gets release date

IMG_7110.JPG

Beamdog, the company behind the enhanced editions of Planescape Torment and Baldur's Gate have announced a release date for their current remaster project; Neverwinter Nights. The game, released initially by Bioware in 2002, and revealed to be getting an enhanced edition late last year, will launch exclusively on PC on March 27, and will offer updated graphics and improved UI, as well as including all the expansions. They're also looking into how to add more quests to the campaign itself, though they have not been successful in doing so yet. Beamdog revealed this new info in their blog, where they mentioned that while there's no other plans to release the game on other platforms, they're very interested in the idea of creating a Nintendo Switch port of it.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Steam Page

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
NWN was one of my favorite games back in the day, so I'm definitely going to have to pick this up as long as they do a decent job with the remaster. I never liked NWN2 as much.
A Switch version that I could play on the go would just be icing on the cake.

IIRC adding more quests to the campaign can be done by anyone with the game, the campaigns are easily editable through Aurora Toolset. So if they haven't even been able to do that, they must not have been trying very hard. I distinctly remember editing the campaign maps to add NPCs selling every item in the game including some custom OP equipment and items I made with the editor.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i have the second version of this game in a disc, that was bundled with a GPU back in 2000s
is it any good? i remember i tried and instantly got confused by it, ended up just trying it for like 10 seconds

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have the second version of this game in a disc, that was bundled with a GPU back in 2000s
is it any good? i remember i tried and instantly got confused by it, ended up just trying it for like 10 seconds

This was in my opinion the BEST D&D game from the early 2000's. I can't remember what made it so good, but I do know I beat the entire campaign and played a few custom maps people had made like Jdbye mentions. I think it was due to Baldur's Gate being a bit too difficult for me at the time. If you have played BG or Dragon Age Origins and liked them, I'd definitely recommend NWN too.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
more fucking remasters doesn't anyone make any new games anymore?!
Only about 20 per day.

Yeah...I already know the response to this: "mobile ports or cheap indie projects don't count as games" despite them being, y'know...games. But even then, I think there'll be easily five or six on average in the most pessimistic scenario.

...and I have a good estimation of the response to THAT as well. "I'm not talking about games costing less than a million dollar, so these don't count either".

So in the end: indeed. Nobody makes anything but remasters nowadays.

/goes off to play his huge-ass library of what I refer to as being games.

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
more fucking remasters doesn't anyone make any new games anymore?!

There are new games all the time, only we're getting to a point where some gems of the past are completely unknown to the younger audiences, and so some of these remasters make sense.
And quite frankly, some of these gems I will take any day over most crappy triple A that are being released today.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Only about 20 per day.

Yeah...I already know the response to this: "mobile ports or cheap indie projects don't count as games" despite them being, y'know...games. But even then, I think there'll be easily five or six on average in the most pessimistic scenario.

...and I have a good estimation of the response to THAT as well. "I'm not talking about games costing less than a million dollar, so these don't count either".

So in the end: indeed. Nobody makes anything but remasters nowadays.

/goes off to play his huge-ass library of what I refer to as being games.
7,000 in one year. Combine that with all games released ever. And new games going to be created in the coming years. It just piles on and on. Not including movies and music being pumped out ever year, and other stuff like books. Imagine 200 years from now or even 1,000. Its a never ending supply of stuff. So many games so little time. Its kind of overwhelming it kind of makes me want to quit materialistic stuff altogether.

Last edited by SG854,

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Darn, no mention anywhere of people who already own the game getting free copies. Oh well, I'm sure I can find my own free copy somewhere...

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
will offer updated graphics and improved UI, as well as including all the expansions. They're also looking into how to add more quests to the campaign itself, though they have not been successful in doing so yet.
You mean they actually just made it better?
They didn't add garbage that wasn't in the original game like in Planescape?
This might actually be worth getting. If I buy an old game, I want the old game experience with an updated interaction interface. Don't give me extra taff that wasn't in the game at the time. I want the original writers' work, Bioware's work. I don't need your new age hack writing.

If it stays this way until release, there's a strong chance I'll actually pick it up.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This was in my opinion the BEST D&D game from the early 2000
Exactly my thoughts. I remember playing that for a shit ton of time when I was around 13 or so, but don't remember one second of the game or why I actually enjoyed it so much. I'll definitely look into the EE. I only finished Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 for the first time last summer, despite having owned the classic versions since they were released. It aged like good wine I guess

Reactions: Maximilious

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I really digged into this game's campaign at the time and some online persistent-world servers were awesome.

It implemented the D&D ruleset somewhat well and Forgotten Realms sucks me in like no other similar world does.

I hope they'll make good on this one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat