PS1/2 Never softmodded a PS2 before need to know where to start.

hardin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I already know there are other threads like this and I could look at them but I have specifics I need to note. Anyways, I've never softmodded anything but a nintendo wii before. And like the wii, I want to be able to do something similar with usbloader, cause I like storing all of my games on the usb.
I want to be able to soft mod my PS2 Slim, and I wanna everything to know so I wont end up destroying the thing.
Also I'm not very good with anything hardware, so thats why I said softmod specifically, cause if its anything having to like modify the hardware, I'll screw it up

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
First, let it be said that you can't brick a PS2 using software only - well, you could wipe important configuration data from the eeprom by using a few specific tools you normally don't need to have in the wrong way, but worst case scenario you'd end up with a console without the ability to read discs or go online on the nonexisting official servers :)

To continue the discussion you should post your console's model number (SCPH-?????) and, if it's a 9xxxx model (superslim, with internal power supply) the chassis model (first one of the one+four letters in the bottom right of the sticker, for example "K FOXC")

Reactions: zfreeman

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@hardin With PS2 softmodding you can't damage anything besides the laser by using burnt discs as the PS2 OS cannot be modified as it is with the Wii.
USB loading technically works, but is limited to USB 1.1 so it has low power and data capabilities.
You rather have to use loading of games via the ethernet interface together with a hacked memory card if you have a sub 9xxx model or a modchip/magic swap disc with burnt discs with later models.
Ethernet loading is even faster than disc with some games but has sometimes lower compatibility.
I like to use a raspberry pi zero as it can be powered via the usb slots with my 7xxx that I set up myself, but there is a premade image here: https://github.com/toolboc/psx-pi-smbshare
The microSD can be pricy though if you want to play many different games.
The ethernet protocol samba with windows can be a hassle as it sometimes just doesn't work so I had the best experience with raspbian on my pi, but the storage space is cheaper with a hdd under windows of course.

Last edited by Wuigi,

scroeffie1984

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
https://www.ebay.nl/itm/Free-McBoot...923279?hash=item3b3026db0f:g:s0AAAOSwVQNc9WRP

Free McBoot FMCB 1.966 Sony PlayStation2 PS2 Brand New 8MB Memory Card

Features:

• Brand New 8Mb Memory Card, i've just opened it to install the lastest version of FMCB.
  • No need other installation, Just plug in to your console.
  • No region limited, compatible with all consoles except MODEL SCPH-9XXXX (The lastest revision of slim model).
Applications List:
  • ESR: Play ESR patched DVD-R games.
  • Open PS2 Loader: The most popular games launcher, play games from USB/network/HDD.
  • PS2ESDL: Another great USB launcher.
  • UlaunchELF: File Manager and ELF launcher.
  • HD Loader: Play games installed on internal hard drive.
  • SNES Station: SNES emulator.
  • PicoDrive: MegaDrive emulator.
  • CodeBreaker: Add cheats to games.
  • GS Mode Selector: Change screen resolution.
  • PowerOff: Turn off PS2 directly from FMCB interface.
  • FMCB Configurator: Customize FMCB interface.
All Applications are in their lastest version !

hardin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not gonna lie, what I read made no sense to me, but I think I'll figure it out.
Good to know that's the worst case scenario. I think my ps2 slim isn't a 9XXXXX model as it is very very old. I'll check back after finding out. Where would I store the games if not usb? Also thanks @scroeffie1984 for the link. I'll look into that

hardin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey btw does it have to be 8MB? or can it be up to the max like 64mb? for the memory card
EDIT: Btw was wondering if there was a really good tutorial for all of this, cause I'm not good with following instructions unless I can see it visually through a clean video, or with the person right there with me. That'd help alot

EDIT 2: And Incase I have one of those models that can't be modded as easily, what should I look for, cause I'd be willing to buy ps2 off of ebay, I heard Fats are the easiest to mod.

Last edited by hardin,

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hey btw does it have to be 8MB? or can it be up to the max like 64mb? for the memory card
EDIT: Btw was wondering if there was a really good tutorial for all of this, cause I'm not good with following instructions unless I can see it visually through a clean video, or with the person right there with me. That'd help alot

EDIT 2: And Incase I have one of those models that can't be modded as easily, what should I look for, cause I'd be willing to buy ps2 off of ebay, I heard Fats are the easiest to mod.
I've only softmodded a FAT Ps2, but basically the safest bet of a memory card you can get is the official one. I tried it on a unofficial one but it didn't work. Now, if a memory card is advertised as coming with freemcboot then obviously it'll work (if not, claim your money back :P). The nice thing about FATs is that you can have external HDDs instead of going through ethernet, though from what I can tell ethernet is pretty much equivalent.

To me Fat and slim seem to be equally as much work: The Fat needs the ethernet adapter and you'd probably have to do some physical changes to it to allow it to connect to more modern HDDs, whereas the slim can use a raspberry pi connected to the ethernet port. I saw someone above say that the ethernet solution has some games that work less so I would check a compatibility list first to know if any games you care about are affected.

The Fat with a HDD works great and even speeds up those loooong loading times in many games. It made Dragon Quest VIII even more enjoyable than before to me, since loading into the pause screen took forever.

So to recap, the FAT is probably the best in terms of performance and compatibility if you match it with the ethernet adapter and a HDD. Maybe you can find an ethernet adapter that already supports SATA (=the more common HDD connection compared to the one the ethernet adapter already has which is for PATA hdds.)

EDIT: Here is a link to what you would need in addition to a FAT PS2, a HDD/SSD and a Freemcboot memory card, in case you go that route:

Ready-to-use Sata adapter for FAT PS2 so that you can connect SSDs or old HDD. Costs 20$. Do note that this one does not have network capabilities, though that isn't strictly necessary imo.

Last edited by Zense,

TunaKetchup

The Goose is Loose
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Not gonna lie, what I read made no sense to me, but I think I'll figure it out.
Good to know that's the worst case scenario. I think my ps2 slim isn't a 9XXXXX model as it is very very old. I'll check back after finding out. Where would I store the games if not usb? Also thanks @scroeffie1984 for the link. I'll look into that

On your PC

You can run using a ethernet from your ps2 to your Router (I think this is the most popular choice)

Or you can burn discs but I wouldn't burn discs since its not needed when you can just use ethernet or hard drive

I'm pretty sure the PS Slims come with the network adapter built in so you dont need to go buy one

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have watched this one and I think its pretty good

Its for a FAT

Last edited by TunaKetchup,
Reactions: Zense

hardin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can't figure it out yourself you could always buy a free mcboot memory card on Ebay for about $10. All you have to do is put it in your PS2 and walah it's hacked.
Even for a slim?

On your PC

You can run using a ethernet from your ps2 to your Router (I think this is the most popular choice)

Or you can burn discs but I wouldn't burn discs since its not needed when you can just use ethernet or hard drive

I'm pretty sure the PS Slims come with the network adapter built in so you dont need to go buy one

I have watched this one and I think its pretty good

Its for a FAT

Ok I'll probably do the ethernet thing then. and If I end up getting a fat, I'll use that video thanks!

hardin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If its a fat PS2, find the hard drive image and go from there to install FHDB on top of it.

Slim PS2 your best bet is a memory card with FMCB on it
So I'd be better off just either buying a pre-fmcb memory card. Or installing FMCB to my Memory card?

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
If you can't figure it out yourself you could always buy a free mcboot memory card on Ebay for about $10. All you have to do is put it in your PS2 and walah it's hacked.

Hello.:)

To make the FreeMC Boot Memory Card by yourself:

- It makes fun
- a little "thrill"
- a little work-by-yourself to do
- Maybe a little preoccupation
- the "Spirit" of Modding/Hacking....
- and it is not the easy way.

After this you can say "Hey,I did something." :D

Thank you.:)

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So I'd be better off just either buying a pre-fmcb memory card. Or installing FMCB to my Memory card?
If you don't have a modchipped PS2, the easiest (and best in my opinion) way to get FMCB would be to buy a modded memory card online, or get help from a friend if you know someone with a modchipped PS2 or someone with FMCB already installed on their system. If you still want to install it yourself, the easiest way to do it would probably be with the PS2 Swap Trick (you can find plenty of guides on youtube). You would need a specific retail PS2 game to do this; user zfreeman wrote a tutorial a couple of years ago with a list of games that is supposed to work (see below quote).
https://web.archive.org/web/20160921081507/http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/swap.php

"Step 1
1. Make an .ISO image of 007 Agent Under Fire using IMGBurn.
2. Rename the uncompressed BOOT.ELF to DRIVING.ELF

Step 2
1. Use Apache.exe to open the .ISO of the game.
2. Highlight "DRIVING.ELF" in Apache.exe on your right side.
3. Select "ISO Tools" from the tab above, now select "Change TOC for Selected File", change the "Size (dec)", don't change the LBA. This is the file size of the "uncompressed BOOT.ELF". If you're using a different uLaunchELF/BOOT.ELF, right-click it and select Properties, the first "Size" is the size in bytes. This is the size you need to use in Apache.exe.
4. With "DRIVING.ELF" still highlighted, select "ISO Tools" again, now select "Update Selected File", select the DRIVING.ELF file that was ulaunchelf's "uncompressed BOOT.ELF" you rename, it will say "selected file replaced".
5. Burn the edited .ISO to disc with IMGBurn.

Step 3
1. Put the original game in your PS2.
2. Play the game until you make it to the 2nd level which is the DRIVING level, then save your game.
3. Return to the main menu, swap trick your original for your burned disc, and select the 2nd level.

Press O button for the FileBrowser in the uLaunchElf screen, move down to mass:/ and hit O, then move down to select FREE_MCBOOT.ELF and hit O.

Games reported to work:
*** Confirmed to work
** Unconfirmed as working

***007 Agent under fire, DRIVING.ELF {info is in the tutorial}

***007 from Russia with love, NFS.ELF [ go to the need for speed DEMO from the main menu, and it will boot ulaunchelf ]

**SOCOM Combined Assult, SCUSNGUI.ELF [swap at main menu, select "MULTIPLAYER", now select "LAN", you will go to another screen where you exit, upon exiting that screen ulaunchelf will start.]

**Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater, NETDOWN.ELF [ press start, your now at the main menu, swap disks, select "SPECIAL", now select "CAMOUFLAGE DOWNLOAD", ulaunchelf will start]

**Socom 3, SCUSNGUI.ELF [from main menu, select your save, select "ONLINE", select "LAN", select "EDIT CONFIGURATION", ulaunch will start ]

**Socom 2, SCUSNGUI.ELF [from the main menu, swap in your backup, select "LAN", select "EDIT NETWORK CONFIGURATIONS", ulaunchelf will start.]

**Syphon Filter The Omega Strain, NTGUI2CN.ELF (in netgui folder)[first create a save game, then select "PLAY ON-LINE", it will now ask you to "Launch NetGui application now?" select yes, ulaunchelf will start.]

**Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, SC3_ON.ELF [swap at main menu, press start, then select "MULTIPLAYER ONLINE", ulaunchelf will start]

**Battlefield 2 Modern Combat, GUI.ELF (in the NETGUI folder)[at main menu swap, "press start" & select "PLAY ONLINE", a series of loading screens will happen, select "create/edit", select "create/edit" again, another screen will ask you the same question., ulaunch will start]

**King of Fighters Neowave, NTGUI2.ELF [press start, now select "NETWORK MATCH", highlight the first option and enter that, now select the second option, uLaunchelf will start]

**StarWars Battlefront 2 NTGUI.ELF (in the NETGUI folder)[go to the main menu, swap and select "multiplayer", now select "LAN", select "Add/Edit", now select "EXIT WITHOUT SAVING", ulaunch will start]

**Jak X Combat Racing, NTGUI_UC.ELF (in the NETGUI folder)[first create a save, from the main menu, select "Exhibition", now select "LAN", now select "ACCEPT", ulaunchelf will start]

**Ratchet Deadlocked, NTGUI.ELF (in NETGUI folder)[select "MULTIPLAYER", now select "ONLINE PLAY", select "NETWORK SETUP", ulaunch will start]

**Smackdown vs. Raw 2006, NTGUI2.ELF (in the NTGUI2 folder)[select "ONLINE", now "ACCEPT", now select "Edit/Create Network Configuration", ulaunchelf will start]

**NHL 2004, NTGUI.ELF [Main Menu > Game Modes > Play Online > Continue without saving, then Swap at Network Configuration screen and hit X, ulaunchelf will start]

***Demo Disc 066 [NTSC-U] [SCUS-97241],ROCKY.ELF (in rocky folder) [select "playground", there is a little video so press X to skip, then select "rocky". Press X and it gives you a controller diagram, SWAP here and then press X. uLaunchELF will start.]

I didnt test any of these games, so i cant help if some info is not complete, but im assuming that most swapping takes place in the games main menu."

Not sure if this list is complete, or if other games also work. There are also other ways to do it, but if I am not mistaken, they all require some sort of hardware or disc that aren't easily available anymore (nor useful after installation)

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically it comes down to if you want to spend about $5 or not. Unless you have one of those games you'll have to buy them for about $5, or you can just buy the memory card for about $10, give or take a dollar.

hardin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is there a PS2 Slim tutorial for FMCB btw? I saw that fat one, but I need a tutorial for the slim. (Btw Its a 700 model, So its completely compatible.)

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
So is there a PS2 Slim tutorial for FMCB btw? I saw that fat one, but I need a tutorial for the slim. (Btw Its a 700 model, So its completely compatible.)

Hello.:)

I think you do not have any other Choice or Options for a Slim PlayStation 2 without Modchip as to get an Ready-to-go Memory Card as suggested.:(
An other way is,you know some with an PlayStation 2 with Modchip and/or an SCPH-100xx - 500xx Modell.Then he can do the Free MC Boot Memory Card for you.:)

Please look for the FMCB\FHDB Noobie Package of your Choice:

https://www.psx-place.com/threads/fmcb-fhdb-noobie-package.21763/

Good Luck.
Thank you.:)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: