never played a monster hunter game b4, wich do u suggest be my first?

th3joker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive never played a monster hunter game ever, any platform. so im going to try one for 3ds as my first. which one do u suggest i try first?

gaelrandir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I would recommend MH4U or Gen.

MH4U - There's no arts or styles, so it's more of a 'classic' monster hunter experience.
Generations: Access to all currently existing weapons, you have arts and styles to play with. Less of a classic MH experience, but still incredibly fun.

Reactions: ov3rkill

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Generations would be the most accessible game, but might make older games more difficult to play since you could become reliant on the styles and hunter arts. I suppose it's like learning to drive. If you want a rounded Monster Hunter experience you can easily build upon, start with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on the Wii U (or 3DS if Wii U is inaccessible, but 3DS has no online play). That's the most recent "pure" experience. I'd equate that to learning to drive a manual car. If you want something perhaps easier to play whilst still retaining the fantastic feel of Monster Hunter and building on old ideas, look into Monster Hunter Generations on the 3DS. 4U is kind of a middleground of the two. It introduced a mounting mechanic that deviates from the standard formula, but in a good way.

tl;dr:
MH3U if you want a classic experience and/or want to play on a modern home console on the TV
MH4U if portability is a must but you still want online play and a classic experience
MHGen if you want the most recent and popular iteration with fun elements to play with

Reactions: ov3rkill

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The beauty of MH3U among others is the underwater battles. If you hate underwater levels, then just skip MH3U and choose either of the two MH4U and MHGen.
Whoops, I knew 3U had something about it to deviate lol. Couldn't put my finger on exactly what it was. On the Wii U, those battles were fine. It's on the 3DS without a Circle Pad Pro where they became... Questionable.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Think of it like this: the older the game, the harder it is:P

On the 3DS though, 3U for maximum challenge, classic MH fun and best monsters, 4U for a fair amount of challenge, classic MH fun, worse monster variety but better weapon accessibility (for gunners especially) or Generations/XX if you want the easiest of them all and even worse monster variety than 4U while still being a fair deal of fun! While offering classing MH fun, 3U might be too hard if you can't understand the mechanics, so if after going over them they feel complicated, go with 4U since it has more tutorials and better explanations.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
whats the difference between generations and xx?
Double Cross reintroduces G Rank, which has always been the hardest difficulty of MH. It also adds new deviant monsters and reintroduces a few old ones. If you understand Japanese, it's definitely the definitive version. It's the same kind of difference you see between MH4 and 4 Ultimate. If you don't understand Japanese however, I do not recommend it as a first game. There's a fan translation, but that assumes you already understand the basics of MH.

Last edited by Scarlet,

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
whats the difference between generations and xx?
Generations is basically MHX, which is similar to how the series has always been. There was a MH3 for example, then a 3U (3G in Japan). Also MH4 and MH4U. The only actual difference is that there are more monsters in the game and there's G-rank XX while in Gen/X there's only low and high rank. Many monsters are exclusive to G-rank and it's the hardest part of any game.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Double Cross reintroduces G Rank, which has always been the hardest difficulty of MH. It also adds new deviant monsters and reintroduces a few old ones. If you understand, it's definitely the definitive version. It's the same kind of difference you see between MH4 and 4 Ultimate. If you don't understand Japanese however, I do not recommend it as a first game. There's a fan translation, but that assumes you already understand the basics of MH.
The fan translation translates everything that's actually important, meaning everything except for useless dialogue with NPCs. All the stuff that matters is translated.

Reactions: th3joker

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on the PSP, it's my favourite and I still play it from time to time.
MH4U/Gen/XX get me bored really quickly tbh, specially 4 ultimate because they tried to focus a lot on the vertical movement/maps

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I suggest Soul Sacrifice. Vita only though.
God Eater for PSP/PC would be about the only other option.

MH is a giant piece of shit. Both of those games basically took what MH is and made it not garbage. Honestly the entire series is complete trash. Its core focus is gameplay, and yet the gameplay is far and above the worst, clunkiest part of it. There's just no redeeming the series. It's just bad. It feels bad to play, and honestly it's not that difficult mechanically. It just plays like such a piece of crap, that it creates a level of difficulty through sheer annoyance.

Reactions: Meteor7

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Talk about propaganda.