Never played a MH game before - Questions

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by arogance1, Apr 12, 2010.

Apr 12, 2010
  1. arogance1
    OP

Member arogance1 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Is there a general story or just collect quest, kill things, quest, kill....
    How much will it hinder me online by not having Wii Speak or a Wii Keyboard?
    How big will the game be? Is it a dual layer 8Gb game?

I heard you can chop bits off monsters and wear them, is this the only way to upgrade armour and weapons or can you buy new?
    When it comes to treasures and body parts, is it 1st come, 1 served, or does everyone get the same?

Is there anything else to do in the game besides kill for quests? Like Fishing, crafting etc?

2. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    answers in bold, you are more than welcome to ask anymore questions if needed.

3. Da Mafia

Member Da Mafia GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Thanks for that, i'm new to Monster Hunter myself and am just trying to learn as much as possible before release.

Is there anything else that I should know? Any tips and tricks? Recommended character/classes for a beginner?

4. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    There are multiple dual layer wii games

5. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    great swords are noob friendly, you should then try using the lance when you get more experienced, characters are all the same, it is just cosmetic appearance.

oh and one word of advice DO NOT attempt to kill the rathian/rathalos when you have no decent armour or weapons, you will be ripped apart lol

overall, just enjoy yourself, and try to complete the game offline first to built up your characters armour and weapons.

6. Da Mafia

United Kingdom
    I'm pretty sure she means all previous Monster Hunter games.

7. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    mh is not one of them though.

8. jalaneme

United Kingdom
  9. Berioth

Newcomer Berioth Advanced Member

Brazil
    Hello there, being an old MH player id like to give some advice

1. While as Jala mentioned, greatswords are indeed noob friendly, they have one fatal flaw, they need you to know the monster's timing to properly deal damage with the Greatsword by using its charged attack(most famous example would be killing a tigrex with it, search it on youtube and you'll know what i mean).

2. a real beginners weapons i would suggest is the Sword and shield, while it lacks the raw power greatswords or hammers(another easy to use weapon) have, it makes up for being the fastest melee weapon allowing u to dodge much easier, also since its attacks are fast, element damage is higher with them, not to mention you can block with it(not the best but can save your ass sometimes)

3. Patience, you'll need it while playing this game, it starts out very hard, specially on some monsters, because there is no auto aim for u to see them, and some of them are pretty vicious, so if u die...dont give up, its a hard game, but it has the most rewarding feeling of victory of every game ive played.

4. last thing, i don't suggest you use the following weapons as a beginner(train with them after u got the hang of the general controls)
    - Lance: While it has the best blocking ability of all weapons, its a slow, melee ranged weapon with a medium learning curve
    - Heavy Bowgun: a very slow weapon, u take some time preparing it to shoot, some time keeping it on ur back and it makes ur walking speed terrible, it has one tremendous firepower depending on what shells u use, but its not noob friendly

10. Da Mafia

United Kingdom
    Thanks for your help jalaneme and Berioth. I'm gonna play the demo a few more times to get myself more comfortable with the controls and to try out the different weapons.

11. chartube12

Member chartube12 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Next time spell the dam thing out. Had to read other's post to see what HM stood for. I played a demo on the psp of one of these. Diff. not worth my time. If i would of known this was a monster hunter thread i would of ignored it.

12. mcsdoode

Newcomer mcsdoode Advanced Member

Japan
    MH:Tri does indeed have a farm although it's not as extensive as the farm found in the PSP games. Makes material just a bit easier...

Also, like the others have said, Great Sword and Hammers are absolutely wonderful when starting out.... but please don't get discouraged when one of the more advanced monsters tears you apart using those ^ ^ That's the fun of Monster Hunter... finding out what strategy/weapon is best for each monster. Good luck!

13. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    yeah agree 100% you do need A LOT of patience with this game, and that's why i said when they master the game properly they can move onto the lance.

14. Hezkore

Member Hezkore GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    "a Wii Keyboard"
    Any USB keyboard will work, I had some old wireless keyboard laying around I'm using to talk in MHTri online.
    Also, you can type with the WiiMote if you press the 2 button twice... slow, but works.
    You can also store some short sentences like "Use shocktrap now!" and use them quickly.

15. Berioth

Newcomer Berioth Advanced Member

Brazil
    just wish i could even play with someone...Monster hunter is getting popular in the US, but here in Brazil people just don't enjoy it to the amount of having players to play with =/

16. mcsdoode

Newcomer mcsdoode Advanced Member

Japan
    If they don't IP ban you guys in Brazil (which I highly doubt), I'd be more than happy to join you online ^ ^

17. clegion

Member clegion GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    tell me later on if it's good i might have to buy a wii to play this and some other game( will play with classic controller though, screen not big enough to use sensor bar properly (13 inch, i use my laptop)

18. Mei-o

Member Mei-o Generic Asian Kid™

Japan
    Warning: The first 10 hours can be slow. Really, really slow.

19. Hezkore

Member Hezkore GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    MHTri throws you into the action stuff quicker, you'll be fighting big bad ass monsters early!

20. DarkShadow96

Member DarkShadow96 LA96£

Canada
    ^ For the PSP versions yea but MH Tri actually puts you into the action in about... an hour if you are new but if you know the landscape by heart or just know what to do then I would say 15-30 mins. I just know the first area very good.