Homebrew Never Hacked & Looking Into Homebrew. Is It Easy & Worth The Risk In 2019?

PKMN-Fanatic96

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I usually linger on forums like these but thought to make an account to get some in-depth discussion and feedback for this. I've never hacked or pirated anything, but the Homebrew looks like it'd be handy for data backups and turning my cartridge games to digital only, as I plan to build up a library of games I wanna buy off the eShop and make use of the 32GB card I recently got and formatted for my N2DSXL. I've been doing research into the Homebrew method from the popular site 3DS Hacks, and it looks pretty straightforward.

So I just wanna ask others their experience with Homebrew and if its worth the risks. I'd only like to use it for QoL stuff, the only online game I play on the system atm is PKMN UM but it's only for trading with pals on occasion. I do have some genned Mons I got from WT but I've never hacked myself. If I Homebrewed my question is would that affect me playing games like PKMN where I do only the bare minimum of online stuff or avoid online stuff? Is bricking still common or is it rarer these days if I follow the guide perfectly?

actuallyasriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I usually linger on forums like these but thought to make an account to get some in-depth discussion and feedback for this. I've never hacked or pirated anything, but the Homebrew looks like it'd be handy for data backups and turning my cartridge games to digital only, as I plan to build up a library of games I wanna buy off the eShop and make use of the 32GB card I recently got and formatted for my N2DSXL. I've been doing research into the Homebrew method from the popular site 3DS Hacks, and it looks pretty straightforward.

So I just wanna ask others their experience with Homebrew and if its worth the risks. I'd only like to use it for QoL stuff, the only online game I play on the system atm is PKMN UM but it's only for trading with pals on occasion. I do have some genned Mons I got from WT but I've never hacked myself. If I Homebrewed my question is would that affect me playing games like PKMN where I do only the bare minimum of online stuff or avoid online stuff? Is bricking still common or is it rarer these days if I follow the guide perfectly?

Absolutely! I was up and running in about an hour, there's a lot on offer here.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you're exceedingly paranoid, then you can follow 3ds.guide to install Picchax. Picchax uses corrupted save data for Pokemon Piccross to run the Homebrew Launcher, but this provides only minimal, high-level access to the system – just enough to run the JKSM save data manager, and not much else these days. When you don't want it anymore, you just delete your Piccross save data and it will be as if you never did any hacking. (Steelhax uses Steel Diver: Sub Wars to do much the same thing.) This definitely won't let you make your cartridge games digital-only, though.

Once you have access to your save data, you can use PC-based save game editors like pkhex to do whatever you want.

But most people would say this level of paranoia is completely uncalled for, considering the risk of bans or bricks is minimal.

Reactions: Confusion_18

PKMN-Fanatic96

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're exceedingly paranoid, then you can follow 3ds.guide to install Picchax. Picchax uses corrupted save data for Pokemon Piccross to run the Homebrew Launcher, but this provides only minimal, high-level access to the system – just enough to run the JKSM save data manager, and not much else these days. When you don't want it anymore, you just delete your Piccross save data and it will be as if you never did any hacking. (Steelhax uses Steel Diver: Sub Wars to do much the same thing.) This definitely won't let you make your cartridge games digital-only, though.

Once you have access to your save data, you can use PC-based save game editors like pkhex to do whatever you want.

But most people would say this level of paranoia is completely uncalled for, considering the risk of bans or bricks is minimal.

All things considered I’d probably be fine, been talking to a few different people about this specific hack on different websites and it sounds pretty legit and straightforward to use. It’s not like I plan on cheating in online games or pirating stuff or anything illegal like that. I’m just doing it for the QoL stuff, I’ve been told as long as I follow the guide down to detail all steps (and how they update it regularly is nice) I’ll probably be fine but I just wanted to get some feedback for reassurance from people who’ve used the specific guide from 3DS Hacks.

Over a month ago I got myself a rarer Poké Ball N2DSXL brand new and did the transfer over from a regular 3DSXL, that warning about the very very minor chance of bricking worries me even though the odds are it won’t happen as long as I don’t do anything stupid. I know I’m being overly paranoid since I’m particular about my tech lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM