Hacking Never do this, HUGE waste of money

Zero72463

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I have seen this mistake by OFW users on firmware greater than 3.55 wanting to get onto CFW. DON'T buy a new HDD and think, "Oh I can just install CFW/3.55 on it.", this method does NOT work. If you continue to read I will explain why this won't work. Please understand no matter what anyone or any video says you CANNOT do this. I explained this very noob-friendly so people wanting to get into CFW will understand this isn't the right way.

Why you can't install 3.55 on new HDD/Pre-existing HDD>------

Ok whenever you install a newer firmware on your PS3 there is a storage flash that saves that firmware number on it. If you try to install a lower firmware (e.g installing 3.55 on previously 4.80) it will force you to install the saved firmware number (e.g 4.80 or higher). Yes even if you use a different HDD it will force you. The E3 Flasher and Progskeet changes this flash number to 3.55 so you can downgrade.

Why you can't install CFW on new HDD>------

In terms if the CFW is higher than the saved storage firmware you can install it, BUT if you do it will greatly damage your PS3 HDD and maybe your flash. You see when you install a 3.55 CFW there are some steps that can ONLY be done on that 3.55 CFW firmware. Like setting up QA Flag and such. If you try to this on 3.56 CFW+ you will be greeted with errors. QA Flag is very required in the process of CFW. There are also many other reasons for this. Just don't do it. It's a idiot move. It might not even let you sign in to PSN because QA Flag has a debug option to allow PSN sign in (NP Environment). There may also be a chance of you getting a RLOD.

Conclusion>------
You can now check if you can downgrade with E3/Progskeet. If you can't that is to bad. Atleast you can still play your PS3!
You have wasted money and may have broken your PS3.

Hope this helps some confused people about CFW.
Edited: Made beginning statement more clear.

Last edited by Zero72463,

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
I can see the reason for this post and thanks for doing it, yet tbh, if someone does expect to use (install 3.55) on a fresh hdd without prior knowledge, then that problem is on them (stupidity and lack of knowledge &information).

The PS3 has been out long enough with plenty of information out there on 'do's and don't ' with cfw/console model/serial numbers/lowest factory stock firmware allowed...and so on.

Last edited by retrofan_k,

Zero72463

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can see the reason for this post and thanks for doing it, yet tbh, if someone does expect to use (install 3.55) on a fresh hdd, then that problem is on them (stupidity and lack of knowledge).

The PS3 has been out long enough with plenty of information out there on 'do's and don't ' with cfw/console model/serial numbers/lowest factory stock firmware allowed...and so on.

GBATemp doesn't have a big PS3 thing going on. I used to have friends saying they were gonna do this. Some people don't pay attention to these things. I am trying to help. Most people even though being heard this just don't listen. So I wanted to explain it properly to them. :)

Last edited by Zero72463,

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
GBATemp doesn't have a big PS3 thing going on. I used to have friends saying they were gonna do this. Some people don't pay attention to these things. I am trying to help. Most people even though being heard this just don't listen. So I wanted to explain it properly to them. :)

Yeah and that is issue "not paying attention" "not listening" and thinking they know better, which more than likely ends in a disaster. You see it all the time here.

It's like a case years ago with psx games. A guy thought by buying black cdr's (cos they look like originals) they would boot on a unmodified console. Went crazy cos he wasted money on discs, not realizing you needed a modchip.

Last edited by retrofan_k,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Noobs will always be ill informed.
Some of them have such an ego that whatever they think they know how everything works.
Hell I've seen people ask video game store clerks about R4 cards...

And then you got the people that don't deserve to pirate, aka the people that think burning a torrentfile on a CD will grant them the entire game which can be played on a unmodified 360...

Reactions: retrofan_k

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Just some constructive feedback, it wasn't immediately obvious to me you were on about PS3's on firmware greater than 3.55 until halfway through your post.

This might read a bit better: "Okay so I have seen this mistake by OFW users on firmware greater than 3.55 wanting to get onto CFW"

I think i got confused by your post as I had an old PS3 on 3.55 i recently upgraded the hard drive on, then installed CFW on after upgrading the hard drive, so for half of your post i was thinking "what is he on about i just did this last week" however yes your correct you can only install the same firmware version or higher when replacing the hard drive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Who said I wasn't one