Never been more frustrated in my life... (EZ Flash IV)

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by BenjaminDaniel, Apr 18, 2012.

1. BenjaminDaniel
    OP

Newcomer BenjaminDaniel Member

So I bought an EZ Flash IV back in January, and after going through two micro SD-to mini SD adapters and four mini SD cards I've finally found one that works. I updated the mini SD card with the latest EZ4 kernel and got the Vader menu working just fine, even played a little Minesweeper.

But now the EZ4_Client (1.03) is being an absolute **** **** and refuses to co-operate. It won't upload Gameboy or Gameboy Color games, and every single GBA game I try to upload gives me some "An unnamed file was not found." error. I'm pretty close to just snapping the thing in half and just writing off the $80 I've spent so far on the ****ing thing.

2. dickfour

Banned dickfour Banned

United States
    This is one of the most easy slot two solutions hence the name. Are you sure you're using the correct loader? I have a 4gb nonsdhc mini sd abpnd I've never had a problem. Even cheats work fine

3. BenjaminDaniel
    OP

I have a 1 Gig mini SD card. Every single site links to the same loader EZ4loader061109.zip and the same client EZ4_20061010.zip.

4. BenjaminDaniel
    OP

Alright, I tried formatting the mini SD card, again, and putting the loader back on it. While turning the GBA SP on and holding down the R button, the GameBoy logo loads fine and then it just goes to a black screen instead of the loading screen. I'm ****ing ten seconds away from snapping the thing in half.

5. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniacâ„¢

United States
    80 dollars? lolwut? You overpaid...

If you're using the Filetrip loader, you shouldn't have any issues, perhaps the software doesn't like your computer or vice-versa? It works on my XP and 7 machine fine, what are you running?

6. BenjaminDaniel
    OP

Paid $40 ($30 + $10 shipping) for the card and then another $40 for all the cheap ass Chinese mini SD adapters and mini SD cards from eBay until I finally got one that worked, because you can't buy them in stores any more.

Windows 7, but I doubt it has anything to do with this.

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    EZ4client was never intended for GB/GBC games- you need to make up an emulator (which does have a few extra steps for the EZ4- http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12660 - you are probably going to want the link towards the end of the first post and couple them with a standard build tool- goomba front http://www.webpersona.com/goomba/downloads.html being the main one but I do not know how it plays with 7). Adapters and Chinese flash memory... not things noted for their reliability/being the real deal although most amazons wherever you happen to be should have them still.

Still regarding the file not found I do not imagine it has anything to do with windows 7 per se (plenty of people use with the EZ4 stuff) and I have seen it before but never really managed to narrow it down. Chances are it is trying to write to an inaccessible section of memory and W7 security says no. Did you click the config button and set it to the card ( http://ezflash.sosuke.com/wiki/index.php?title=Image:Ez4_client_config.png ) or are you trying to copy it manually? Failing that try running in either admin mode or if your version of 7 has it XP compatibility.

After this I would look at dodgy miniSD again ("ebay/china/HK memory- you can keep it" being the usual line of thought)- a memory card dropping out halfway through a copy would produce very similar behaviour.

8. BenjaminDaniel
    OP

If this is all because of the mini SD card, then I am going to lose my ****. This will be the fifth mini SD card I've gone through and the only ones are available from Asia.

9. BenjaminDaniel
    OP

Yep, it's the miniSD card. Windows can no longer format it.

JUST after I left the seller good feedback, too. It was working for the first five minutes of use.

This has been really frustrating for me. Does anyone know where I can buy a reliable miniSD card? I've had this thing for almost three months and haven't been able to use it because of all of these cheap ass miniSD cards that don't work or stop working after a few minutes and I've already spent $40 on ****ing miniSD cards.

10. jimmyemunoz

Member jimmyemunoz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
  11. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Dang, that's a huge string of bad luck there dude. Amazon has some miniSD cards for sale, but I don't know how reliable they are or if Amazon ships to your country. When you say that Windows can no longer format it, that's a huge issue tied directly to the hardware. Otherwise I was going to suggest running the EZ-4 client in administrator mode, though I don't know if that would have changed anything.

If you're outside the US, I'll offer to buy you a ~$15 miniSD card and ship it to you myself, only adding on the cost of postage. I love GBA homebrew and GBA utilities too much to let someone abandon it due to frustration on the hardware end.

12. BenjaminDaniel
    OP

Augh...because I live in Canada they're trying to charge me $18.14 for shipping. That's disgusting, there is no reason for an SD card to ever cost that much to ship.
    And the cheapest 1 gig miniSD on Amazon.ca is over $30.

13. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B0007UQ6LK
    http://www.amazon.co...cp_ob_e_title_0

The ones I linked to seem to be new instead of used like the ones you bought.

14. BenjaminDaniel
    OP

Thanks for the offer DanTheManMS, but I don't know if I can really bring myself to spend another $15+ just to play Mother 3 on a handheld instead of my computer. That's the whole reason why I even got this thing, to play an English version of Mother 3 on my GBA. It'll bring my overall cost for one GBA game to almost $100.

15. DanTheManMS

United States
    Well apparently it's $10 for the card, and it can't be more than $5 for shipping from the US to Canada...

16. BenjaminDaniel
    OP

Alrighty. I bought the $10 one and had it shipped to my friend who lives in the state directly below me, so I cna pick it up from him when I visit. Thank you everyone for your help. Hopefully this headache will go away soon.

17. DanTheManMS

United States
    Another thing you can try is to search for cheap miniSD-using cell phones and ask the buyer if they're willing to list the miniSD card separately.

EDIT: Ah, I see I'm a bit too late. Sorry again to hear about the SD card issues man, GBA flash carts are usually much less complex than this.

18. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    is that what http://www.amazon.ca/ is for?

-another world

19. DanTheManMS

United States
  20. BenjaminDaniel
    OP

If only GBA flash cards were still being developed. My first flash card ever was a CycloDS which was the easiest thing I've ever had to deal with, and I had it working within a minute of opening it and was designing themes for it and everything. But this... it's taking me months! Even softmodding my Wii only took an hour.