Networking problem

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by martin88, Jul 29, 2007.

Jul 29, 2007

Networking problem by martin88 at 4:03 PM (463 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. martin88
    OP

Member martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    [​IMG]

Basically, my problem is that PC4 and PC5 can't access PC1-3's resources through network's neighborhood. Before I added router 2 PC4 was able to do this.

How do I fix this? (I know I should have used a switch instead of a router, but I happen to have an extra router)

Thanks a lot.

Internal IP address:
    Behind Router 1: 192.168.2.x
    Behind Router 2: 192.168.0.x [used to be 192.168.2.x as well]

2. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    Change R2's settings so that it only acts like a switch.
    1. Disable the DHCP server on R2. You only need one DHCP server with so few computers, so let R1 handle that. This also means PC4 and PC5 will go back to using 192.168.2.x.
    2. If you plugged in the cable between R1 and R2 into R2's internet port, move it to a normal port.
    3. Disable the firewall on R2, if R1 already has one. Otherwise it might cause problems.

If R2 is a wireless router, it can still give wireless access to your network, even while functioning as a switch.

I have my network setup a similar way. My DSL modem is also a router/firewall, so I have 2 computers and my PS2 plugged into it. Then I have my Linksys router plugged into it as a switch to give out wireless to my DS, Wii, and my neighboor's laptop.

3. martin88
    OP

Member martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Thanks a lot Samutz! Problem solved! My router 2 is now acting like a switch.