Netflix's 'The Witcher' TV series to be aired later this year

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Apr 17, 2019 at 2:56 PM.

Front-page
    netflix.JPG
    Based on the book by Andrzej Sapkowski, rather than the game, Netflix's The Witcher TV adaptation has been the subject of much talks. What with Henry Cavill as Geralt of Rivia and a vague 2019 release, there has been much talk and less show regarding this TV series. However, fans can now have an idea as to when to actually view the live action adaptation on their screens.

As reported by Deadline, Ted Sarandos, Netflix's Chief Content Officer, revealed during an investor call "that the fantasy drama, which stars Henry Cavill as Geralt of Rivia and is currently in production in Hungary, would launch in Q4".

Do you look forward to see how this live action adaptation turns out?

:arrow: SOURCE

renjiVII and tabnk like this.
    Discussion (21 replies)
  1. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Never played the witcher, hear great things about the game. Let's hope this will help motivate me to try. Now where is castlevania season 3 :ninja:

2. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    We already had witcher tv show

3. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Japan
    Not even slightly interested considering how they supposedly handled the casting of characters.

Haloman800, Shadowfied and Glyptofane like this.
  4. raystriker

raystriker The powers that be

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    Why? What did they supposedly do poorly in the casting?

5. Minox

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Japan
    Them specifically requesting black/asian/other minorities actors for certain characters despite their appearance being described differently in the books springs to mind. It reeks of virtue signalling and identity politics.

6. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    Wait

So if it's not based on the game and based on the book... is it that relevant here?

hamohamo likes this.
  7. Minox

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Japan
    That is not the problem as I see it, the problem is the directors taking works like the Witcher and changing it to fit their agenda.

fallingrat and Shadowfied like this.
  8. Shadowfied

Shadowfied GBAtemp Addict

Dec 6, 2014
    If you're not basing it on any source material whatsoever, and you're fine with changing the origins of the characters, then you're clearly just piggybacking off of a successful franchise, at which point, I couldn't give two fucks anymore. And as Minox already mentioned, this is something Netflix do to push their political agenda.

They take something popular, demolish what it is, re-build it as something it's not but that fits their agenda, still wants fans of the franchise to consume it.

9. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    I just mean, for GBATemp, if this series is not based on the games, as stated in the OP and based on books... what's the reason for having it on GBATemp?

10. Shadowfied

Shadowfied GBAtemp Addict

Dec 6, 2014
    To make that fact known, perhaps.

Jonna likes this.
  11. Nym5

Nym5 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 18, 2014
    Brazil
    But have you seen the final cast? It's not that bad.
    Although they did provoke some drama when they were selecting the actors with that statement, the final results ended up being very compatible with what the books describes.
    I don't trust Netflix with adaptations either, but I'm hoping that they do it right in this one because it might be our only chance to see the books translated into TV.

12. nando

nando GBAtemp Addict

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    then it is original content.

13. SushiKing

SushiKing GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 24, 2013
    Australia
    Inb4 the show is actual turd and has nothing special besides the world of the Witcher.

14. Haloman800

Haloman800 a real gril

Dec 18, 2009
    United States
    I'm looking forward to seeing Polish stories changed as Netflix blackwashes European characters.

Last edited by Haloman800, Apr 17, 2019 at 10:30 PM
    Glyptofane likes this.
  15. SG854

SG854 Hell Spawn

Feb 17, 2017
    Kenya
    Kenya
    I don't know why they keep injecting pointless Identity Politics when it's clear most people don't want that. Look at all the disasters when they tried it before.
    The crazy identitarians are a minority, yet they keep trying to please the fringe minority to play it safe thinking it's where they'll make the most money.

Identitarians seems like they're everywhere because they are the loudest, and the majority of population that is moderate are quiet so they get drowned out. Since only the crazies are speaking out it makes it seem like it's everyone when it's really not. The internet amplifies the crazies and they are trying to please a minority. I don't even think they care about identity politics at all and are just virtue signaling because money.

Last edited by SG854, Apr 17, 2019 at 11:19 PM
    Shadowfied likes this.
  16. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    the show will be determined by the wig

17. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    This is the same company that went on a small rant about this on Twitter. They got roasted for it too, and rightfully so, lol. Also, I cannot wait to see how they're going to compete with Disney's streaming service, after jacking up their prices.

Last edited by Viri, Apr 18, 2019 at 9:26 AM
  18. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    chick flicks is a real thing. ghostbusters, oceans 15 was literally nothing but 3 hours of product placement and women empowerment.

19. zeveroth

zeveroth GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2009
    United States
    Didn't Disney try a streaming service before that bombed? Besides, Disney will probably just have Disney and Lucas films anyway, right?