Netflix's 'Castlevania' producer is adapting 'Hyper Light Drifter' as an animated TV series

hld.jpg
After two successful seasons of Castlevania on Netflix and announcing a Devil May Cry TV adaptation, as well as one for Assassin's Creed, producer Adi Shankar does not seem to want to stop there. His next video game-to-series adaptation will be of the critically-acclaimed indie title Hyper Light Drifter, which was confirmed by the game's studio founder Alx Preston in an interview with Polygon.

The project appears to be in its early stages as the interview notes that "Preston and Shankar are actively reaching out to writers to lead the TV adaptation, and are still working on exactly how to translate Hyper Light Drifter’s gameplay experience to a non-interactive medium". The latter statement is particularly important given that the game was free of dialogue and relied heavily on environmental storytelling.

“The difference between a series and a game is vast in a lot of ways,” Preston said to Polygon. “Hyper Light as a game was pretty atmospheric and kind of overbearing at times. For a series, the question is: how do you sustain and keep your attention on a non-interactive run? Does it get really, really dark and serious? Does it have some levity?”

“There’s still a question of how much dialogue we really have, if any,” Preston further added. “Could it be a more silent series or would we have voice acting? Considering Hyper Light was wordless, there’s an idea there of how much that would carry over to to a show.”

Do you think Hyper Light Drifter will translate well into an animated series? Feel free to share your thoughts below!

:arrow: SOURCE

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
...castlevania, in the grand scheme of things, was story driven and had several generations of fans.
and it still isn't that much of a hit.

i'm not sure where this is trying to go, but I don't see it going very far

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
...castlevania, in the grand scheme of things, was story driven and had several generations of fans.

Who knows? I remember the Spawn cartoon being based on a comic book most possible viewers weren't reading and yet it became a cult classic.

And the Kirby cartoon did the best a cartoon based on a videogame had done since Mario Bros.

So let's just wait and see.

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm extremely interested but at the same time reaaally skeptical on how well this can go. Literally have to see it happening to be sure.

D4X

Ultra 64
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I've never even played Hyper Light Drifter (watched a lot of speedruns), but this looks really promising. Would love to see it in animated form.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal

They failed to create a decent plot and character set for the show. The reboot games had it better than the series.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey