Netflix will have a presence at this year's E3, plans to adapt Netflix Original shows to video games

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, May 14, 2019.

1. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    just watch angry video game nerd and see all the LJN games that are all based on movies and tv and then say they are good lol and yes star wars has hundreds of games and most of them arent good, there are some good ones tough like everything, with enough games your bound to have some good ones.

2. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Well there are also A TON of none movie based games that are quite bad so does that make every other non movie based game actually bad ? See that's your logic and it's flawed. It's not because some are bad that all are bad and like i named a few and can go on for quite a while, there are tons of good games based on movies and that's just fact. But ey, lets go by your logic and actually say all games are bad since a lot of them NOT BASED on movies are bad.

3. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_Software what are you on about :lol:-go play some of these

Taleweaver and kumikochan like this.
  4. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
  5. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Erm...can it be that you're too young to have played games from the eighties or nineties? It seems to me you have your opinion based on how horrible SOME movie tie-in games became, and try to mask your lack of knowledge with an unhinged response (don't get me wrong: I like the video game historian. But he can't really convince me that there were only bad games based on video games when I lived and played games in that time). :unsure:

Look...there are certainly infamously bad games based on movie franchises (ET and superman 64 come to mind). And with the dawn of 3D games (which became increasingly complex, and as such costly) quite some video game companies attempted to cash in rather than make a good/great game. This came from both sides, btw: movie distributors also started asking more for the privilege of having a known face on a video game.

The thing is: games weren't as expensive to make in the eighties and early nineties, and from interviews I've read (IIRC from former Ocean developers), movie distributors often had no idea about the value of video games so they charged little or didn't had much requirements. As such, developers had far more freedom, which resulted in better quality games.

On top of that: your example of star wars as being bad is particularly badly chosen. Star wars games were made by the legendary Lucasarts studios, who practically set (if not raised) the bar of quality for video games in general. Heck...I've played star wars games DESPITE their franchise (I think they're "kind of okay" at best), simply because the quality was so good.

EDIT: heh...just noticed @DANTENDO mentioned Ocean as well. :P

Last edited by Taleweaver, May 14, 2019
    DANTENDO likes this.
  6. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    why waste $ on netflix when you could have usenet and you get to keep what you download? :creep:

7. lismati

lismati Speedrunner in practice

Feb 24, 2010
    Poland
    Yes.
    Tie me down for a visual novel based on Bonding ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

8. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Maniac

May 28, 2015
    Isnt it games that get turned into this tv shows/movies not the other way round.

I couldnt think of anything on shitflix that id want to see turned into a game.

You know itll be some over hyped steaming pile of shit, more money paid to get popular actors than writing and directing something good.

9. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Lol and they could be walking simulators, perfect. Will be #1 seller for years.

10. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Addict

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    story based games could be an option for them to do. telltale games is gone so there's space in the market for them i guess

11. FateForWindows

FateForWindows GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 8, 2017
    United States
    I wish I could give a response that's more than two letters, but that's the only fitting response.

Tidus laugh

12. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    That is exactly what I was thinking. This sounds like TellTale V2. That might not be a bad thing, But I hope that they come forward with some better ideas than TTG. Their formula was good for the first few games, but it never changed.

LOL

13. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    riverdale open world game is actually kinda cool. that show reminds me to twin peaks meets desperate housewives, the plot is very nonsensical but fun.

14. reddragon105

reddragon105 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 10, 2008
    You laugh, but I would play that. Probably. Depending on what type of game it was.

15. ryguy2010

ryguy2010 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2018
    United States
    They can't make Riverdale, they don't own the rights lol.

16. AceX

AceX Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Russian Doll is gonna be like Super Meat Boy.

17. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    @Chary You derp. XBox is not a company :P
    The 80s and 90s were absolutely the worst when it comes to movie and TV tie-ins.
    Did you forget about LJN? Or did you just purge it from your memory? :P

Tie-ins these days can be boring cash grabs, but at least they're playable. I would say the bar has been raised, there have been some really good movie based games the past 20 years, and fewer of the really bad ones. Recently for example there's been a Spiderman game that's supposed to be great and the Tomb Raider games (that I haven't played) are supposed to be great as well.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, May 14, 2019
  18. DANTENDO

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    You obviously never had a spectrum amstrad commodore 64 and an amiga

19. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You're right, but I've played a fair bit of Amiga and I don't remember movie/TV tie-ins being very common on that system. I think it wasn't until the NES that companies discovered they could make a quick buck by licensing TV/movie franchises for games. On old home computers a lot more of the games were almost zero budget, made by small developers, as anyone could develop for them, and those people didn't have the money to license TV/movie franchises anyway.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, May 14, 2019
  20. DANTENDO

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    https://www.everythingamiga.com/2018/01/75-amiga-games-based-movies.html when got time watch tht video

The Real Jdbye and kumikochan like this.