Gaming Netbook w/ Ubuntu problems

MarioBrotha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys probably don't want the story on what happened, so I'll just tell you whats wrong:

I have a netbook with windows 7 and Ubuntu netbook remix installed. When I installed Ubuntu, it also installed GRUB for me so I could boot to it. For some reason, Ubuntu never worked for me, and every time I turn on my computer I have the choice on what to boot to, but only windows 7 works. There are a lot (about 7) of options about what to boot to, but they either do not work, or I don't need them (like windows check memory something).

So what I need is one of these two:

To uninstall everything, except what I need for windows 7, and get rid of GRUB so I don't have to choose what OS I want every time I turn on my laptop.

Or

To get Ubuntu fixed and hide the other options on GRUB so I only have windows 7 and Ubuntu (is that possible?)

My problem with Ubuntu is that every time I choose it I am left with a black screen with the blinking light on the top left corner, like its loading something, but it never loads and I can't do anything except hold the power button to turn it off.
And I have a netbook, so no solutions that require CD-Drive please.

bwillb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so essentially you can't get rid of grub directly because it overwrites the windows boot record. You need to restore a windows boot record to overwrite grub.
this link sohuld probably help: http://www.ehow.com/how_4836283_repair-mbr-windows.html

if you can't get fdisk or mbrfix to do it, you may end up needing an external dvd drive.

as far as actually getting ubuntu to work... what netbook do you have?
and yes once you get into ubuntu you can change what grub shows.

edit: actually it maybe even easier on windows 7.... hit F8 during startup and see if you get a repair option there, may have the utility it needs without even using a disc.
from a microsoft support ticket:
1. Keep tapping F8 during the early boot phase.
2. Select "Repair" from the menu.
3. Log on as Administrator when prompted.
4. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next.
5. Click Repair your computer.
6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next.
7. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.
You may have to go through this process twice.

If Step 1 does not present you with a menu of boot options, do this instead:
1. Set your BIOS to use the DVD drive as the primary boot device.
2. Boot with your Windows 7 installation DVD or the Windows Repair DVD.
3. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …" appears.
4. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next.
6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next.

MarioBrotha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bwillb said:
as far as actually getting ubuntu to work... what netbook do you have?
and yes once you get into ubuntu you can change what grub shows.

edit: actually it maybe even easier on windows 7.... hit F8 during startup and see if you get a repair option there, may have the utility it needs without even using a disc.
from a microsoft support ticket:
1. Keep tapping F8 during the early boot phase.
2. Select "Repair" from the menu.
3. Log on as Administrator when prompted.
You may have to go through this process twice.
When I choose startup repair, it says to unplug any media devices that I have, even though I have none, and restart my computer. Is there a way to fix using the command line? I tried typing in 'fixmbr' like it said on some google results but that command wasn't recognized.
I have a HP Mini 311-1025NR

I'll start reading about EasyBCD.

edit: I installed EasyBCD, though I have no idea on what to do next. It says that there is only one entry in windows bootloader, is it not detecting GRUB?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: you could say it fell out.