NES toploader buzzing problem...

steve2606

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I have a toploader NES with an RCA connection at the back. When I use my plug converter (since I'm UK based) it plays the game fine, but there is this really noticeable buzzing sound.

The converter info is:

INPUT: 240V ~50Hz
cos = 0.73
OUTPUT: AC 120V 45W

Here's a video of the issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqwPTEZLyzg&feature=plcp

Anybody know if it's the converter? If so, what type should I get? Thanks. :)

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The original one which came with the NES 2 (Number NES-002) was 120V 60Hz 17W Output 9V 1.3A.

Try to get one similiar to that. If it still buzzes, then it might either be your TV, or a failing capacitor on the RCA audio circuit (I haven't ever heard them causing buzzing, though).

Better test it on another TV before buying a new power adapter :P

steve2606

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The original one which came with the NES 2 (Number NES-002) was 120V 60Hz 17W Output 9V 1.3A.

Try to get one similiar to that. If it still buzzes, then it might either be your TV, or a failing capacitor on the RCA audio circuit (I haven't ever heard them causing buzzing, though).

Thank you for the reply! I'm not very savvy with this sort of thing... are there any converters you could recommend? :shy:

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Thank you for the reply! I'm not very savvy with this sort of thing... are there any converters you could recommend? :shy:
Well, just get one with those specifics, it's not like there's a specific brand for this kind of stuff :P

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't think it's a matter of the adapter, but I may be wrong. Were the adapter malfunctioning, it would buzz itself, which is the first sign of a deteriorating transformer. I believe it's a matter of your TV, which doesn't necessarily like old-style input. I've seen some pseudo-RGB and pseudo-SCART connectors for the NES, perhaps you should try those? That, and do check if the buzzing issue also occurs with other TV sets.

EDIT: Now that I thought about it for a sec, the Top Loader has tri-chinch slots, doesn't it? Have you tried using just the Video one, to assert that it's not an issue with the audio circuit?

steve2606

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well after trying a few different plugs, I decided to try changing the RCA cables (I had a spare set), while still using the adapter and US plug. It worked. The buzz is only audible at very high volume, and even then it's nowhere near as bad. So it was the cable? Weird, but I'm not complaining. Thanks for the replies though! :lol:

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't think it's a matter of the adapter, but I may be wrong. Were the adapter malfunctioning, it would buzz itself, which is the first sign of a deteriorating transformer. I believe it's a matter of your TV, which doesn't necessarily like old-style input. I've seen some pseudo-RGB and pseudo-SCART connectors for the NES, perhaps you should try those? That, and do check if the buzzing issue also occurs with other TV sets.

EDIT: Now that I thought about it for a sec, the Top Loader has tri-chinch slots, doesn't it? Have you tried using just the Video one, to assert that it's not an issue with the audio circuit?
It could've been only with a slighter higher current (and decrepit decoupling caps), which could've been the case if he had a badly regulated power supply. Looks like it wasn't that :P

Well after trying a few different plugs, I decided to try changing the RCA cables (I had a spare set), while still using the adapter and US plug. It worked. The buzz is only audible at very high volume, and even then it's nowhere near as bad. So it was the cable? Weird, but I'm not complaining. Thanks for the replies though! :lol:
Funny, they had to of a really really low quality, and or be damaged in some point. Who knows :P

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Old cables have a tendency to deteriorate like this - audio disturbance is the first thing you observe. I'm glad that the noise subsided, if you want to go the extra mile, you could check the female connectors on the console for signs of chemical deposit and clean it off to further improve the connection.

The noise will be there - the PCB deteriorates with time just like the cables, making the connection less stable. It can be renovated by some good 'ol cleaning, but if it's not bothering you, you don't have to go the extra mile. ;)

I remember my Famiclone buzzed even straight out of the box - never had an original NES, but it was usually the cable's fault... so... yeah. :P

Funny, they had to of a really really low quality, and or be damaged in some point. Who knows :P
Hehe, you can only wind and unwind a piece of cable so many times until it cracks on the inside. :D Unfortunately that's the fate of my Dreamcast cable... it's on its last legs... .__.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: