NES flash cart

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by hanman, Aug 4, 2007.

Aug 4, 2007

NES flash cart by hanman at 6:03 AM (1,750 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. hanman
    OP

Member hanman I'm a pretty lucky guy

United States
  2. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    Uh..farking expensive?

3. hanman
    OP

Member hanman I'm a pretty lucky guy

United States
    perhaps, but it's targeted at a very small niche within a niche (within a niche?). i really don't think it's a bad deal if you still have your NES connected, as i do, and play it every now and then.

4. Magus19

Member Magus19 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Yes it's really expensive, but the NES is probably the hardest system to make a flashcart for, and the only one without one for now. There are 256 NES mappers and the flashcart needs to support alot of them to be worth it. Think of that like the special chips in some SNES games, but games are on a different mappers so if you support only mapper 3 for exemple, only games that used this one will work. This cart can be updated easily and uses a CF card which really is simple to use. My snes flash cart only supports 4 games at once and need to be plugged in a programmer and it cost me 80$. So I would say this one is worth the high price.

5. GeneralLeoFF

Member GeneralLeoFF GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It's actually a pretty good setup. From what I can tell the majority of the mappers listed as bad are used solely for unlicensed multi carts and hacks that we shouldn't care about.

The 512KB CHR/PRG limit however excludes Dragon Quest/Warrior 4 from ever being supported. I am unaware of any other games that exceed 512KB. Thats a pretty high profile exclusion but still just one game.

Provided the cart remains supported unlike certain Wii mod chips and DS flash kits it's well worth the $135.

I know it will be fully supported however I am waiting to see.

[edit]

I didn't think that Dragon Warrior thing sounded right so I dug out my NES ROM CD. The mapper list I was going on was apparently based on an over dump or something as it listed the game as having a 1024k PRG ROM. That is inaccurate. I recall seeing the ROM in that size in the past but thats irrelevant. The point is the game fits the confines of the size limit and thus will/can work. All licensed games appear to fit the size limitations.

6. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    Nice carts but I heard they had problems, like early adopters had to solder a fix or send their carts back and I heard there were problems supporting some common mappers. I assume these issues may have been fixed now though?

For a tad more cash you could convert your NES into a NES PC. [​IMG]

Besides Retro Zone are kinda expensive.

7. Icarus

Member Icarus fire walk with me

United States
    I think it worths every cent !!! This is NES for god's sake. Playing your favorite games without having to blow into the cartige and having the fear of the game is gonna freeze randomly while playing !!! Even though it's costy, I think it's a great gadget to have !!

8. Glacius0

Member Glacius0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Why exactly would you not have any issues with freezing? It's still a cartridge, and your NES is still a NES.

9. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Uhh if you're blowing into the cart to get the game to run because of random freezes, you're the cause of those freezes. Blowing causes hot moisture to leave that swamp rot you got going behind your gums to fly onto the connections. This swampy invisible spit causes the connections to temporarily work better due to conductivity, but over time it causes the blackness to collect, and if you're lucky more green and white crust much like blow out battery compartment rot and you're screwed.

Blowing in a NES cart is the WORST thing you can do short of being totally stupid and soaking it in a sink and dropping it right in drippy wet.

Just get some isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip for the cart, or better yet use that on a NES cleaning kit wand + on the deck cleaner too and give it 30sec to dry. I know it works, I got a 1985 unit with the original pins and it fires up like new nearly every time still. If I do fight with it, it's a dirty cart.

10. Icarus

Member Icarus fire walk with me

United States
    If you blow through a piece of fabric or a t-shirt, it's perfectly safe. That's why always did. Cleaning them doesn't do anything, I've cleaned all my cardiges with q-tips and alcohol thousands of times, it doesn't make a single difference, you STILL have to blow into them.

And just look at their services. They give 5 year warranty, you send the flashcart to them and they update the flashcart for free[they pay the postage], and this is like a brand new NES game so there wouldn't be any kind of freezings or something, considering that the connectors on your NES is in good shape.

11. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Well I've never blown in them, and if using a nes wand or a q-tip pushing firmly with the alky on there isn't cutting it I'm VERY surprised. I mean blowing really does nothing other than moisten up the connection to make contact while the other eats the crap off the metal pins.

12. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    You know, I kept on hearing about the whole "NES on a chip" deal, is this somehow related, and even if it isn't could someone direct me to more information on the subject?

13. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    I second.

14. Magus19

Member Magus19 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    NES on a chip is a plus and play controller that you plus directly in the TV. They usually sell that in malls around christmas time, it's illegal, but nobody seems to care. This is a flashcart for the original NES only.