Nervous about hacking my 3DS, have a few questions

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Bryon15, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Bryon15
    OP

Bryon15 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    united states
    I have an old model 3DS XL. It's currently on firmware 10.3. Which means it's downgradable. But I'm extremely hesitant. I have a lot of official stuff on it. Full downloaded 3ds games, gba ambassador games, demos, downloadable content, eshop games, zelda four swords (which is no longer available), over 90 people on my friend list, etc. What happens to all of this stuff? I read the guide for installing rxtools, and it says that you have to format the system. Meaning all of this stuff will be deleted! Can I get this all back? What about saved data for downloaded games? I have harvest moon a new beginning and rune factory 4. There's hundreds of hours invested in those. I'd be sick if I lost that. How was it for you guys that have already hacked your system?

2. RayFirefist

RayFirefist Maki is love, Maki is life <3

Sep 8, 2015
    Italy
    *Error 403 Forbidden*
    You have to format sysNAND when you want slink that from emuNAND. You will lose nothing because everything will stored on emuNAND but you'll get an error on eShop/NNID services. You can also fix it

3. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Formatting the sysnand is optional. My girlfriend and I both have linked nands and have no issues.

4. MissingNO123

MissingNO123 Jigglypuff

Nov 24, 2012
    Canada
    hell
    Formatting with tinyformat doesn't un-link the NNID

RayFirefist likes this.
  5. frosty5689

frosty5689 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2016
    If you dont unlink, you cant use themes in emunand without losing menuhax on sysnand. There is also the annoyance of synced icons. How to tell if you're on sysnand or emunand without going into settings? Kinda hard imo. I dont think updating linked emunand will update sysnand, but correct me if I'm wrong. (only the user data is linked due to both NAND sharing the same key that gets generated everytime you format)

6. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    The only thing that having linked nands does is make both sysnand and emunand read from the same "Nintendo 3DS/*" folder, so as long as system settings says something like "GW X.X.X" or "RX-E X.X.X" (but not "RX-S X.X.X") immediately before you update, it will be fine. I say "immediately before" because some people leave the system settings, come back, then update, which will cause sysnand to be upgraded if menuhax doesn't kick in after leaving system settings.

CeeDee likes this.
  7. Odven

Odven Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2014
    Underground
    Usually people make a nand backup before formatting or making emunand or whatever else you do. Just go for it, you won't be at a loss putting a cfw on your 3ds. Just don't be lazy and skim the instructions.

8. MissingNO123

MissingNO123 Jigglypuff

Nov 24, 2012
    Canada
    hell
    If you enable theme shuffle on emuNAND, sysNAND will ignore it and continue to use menuhax.

9. frosty5689

frosty5689 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2016
    Yes, exactly.

10. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    if you do it right, you'll keep all that stuff in emunand.
    if not, you might lose the savegames (but you should always be able to get your nnid back and thus, all the official downloads, which should include four swords)
    but, technically, you can use svdt to make backups of your savegames before you attempt to downgrade.

in case of downgrade messing up, you will end up on 10.6 but keep all your stuff

11. Jiro2

Jiro2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2011
    United States
    How can he make a NAND backup before downgrading?

12. Odven

Odven Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2014
    Underground
    You don't need a nand backup before downgrading, he's worried about formatting to install rx tools in the op.

13. M tha MaN

M tha MaN GBAtemp Regular

Apr 19, 2009
    Germany
    So from what I read here, if I downgrade, just the 3DS FW will be downgraded, no other stuff (linked NNID, eshop games and so on) will be touched?

14. MissingNO123

MissingNO123 Jigglypuff

Nov 24, 2012
    Canada
    hell
    Yes, only the firmware and all titles installed to NAND (Browser, Settings, Safemode, the default apps on the homescreen, etc) will be downgraded to their respective 9.2 versions.

Though, all folders will be deleted and the apps in them dumped all over the home menu, which itself will have its layout rearranged, so if you have a lot of folders and don't want to lose them, make note of the contents first.

Last edited by MissingNO123, Feb 23, 2016
  15. Sora Takihawa

Sora Takihawa Keyblade Warrior

Oct 11, 2015
    Germany
    Realm of Darkness
    your stuff remains you can hack it and can install a cfw (reinand..) and can install coldboot (boots directly into the cfw [emunand])

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

you should create emunand before installing cfw

16. Stecker8

Stecker8 Plug

Oct 9, 2015
    Here
    If You use tinyformat in emunand you can unlink nands but i think its better format sysnand (i format emunand and it worked perfect)

17. RayFirefist

RayFirefist Maki is love, Maki is life <3

Sep 8, 2015
    Italy
    *Error 403 Forbidden*
    okok, I understood xD