Nereba Exploit: Reboot to Fusée Gelée payload from stock firmware.

nintendo-switch-homebrew-launcher.jpg

Stuckpixel of the ReSwitched team recently released his exploit "Nereba".

This exploit will enable Nintendo Switch owners with early units that have held off updating, still on the original 1.0.0 firmware to reboot into a Fusée Gelée payload without any dongle, USB connections to a external device or jig directly from stock untouched firmware. In addition support for 2.x and 3.x firmware is also planned in the future, opening up the exploit to significantly more consoles.

The implementation takes advantage of the nspwn exploit, that users of the original 3.0.0 homebrew implementation will be familiar with. Used in conjunction with this, users will be able to boot any Fusee Gelee payload from the micro SD card, placed in the nereba folder on the root of the SD card. After running the script from the Switch web applet, users can reboot into any payload by launching the album applet from the home menu.

Download:

https://github.com/pixel-stuck/nereba/releases

Last edited by RattletraPM, , Reason: Center image to follow news formatting

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully researched can use this to figure out if something can be modified in patches OFW up to current versions.
From the little I know this is a tough ask as only 1.0.0 has userland access to writing the PMC registers which I think effect this exploit.

renegade2k82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well regarding what you said about the sd card slot being fragile snoofly instead of swapping sd cards i decided to use gui format and format my 1tb sd card to fat32 from exfat.i backed up my files of course and re copied them to the sd card but now i ran into a problem when i click on nebera on pegascape all it says is success then just hanngs with the loading circle and doesnt inject the payload.Also the reboot to rcm on pegascape fails or reboots to a black screen.i hope this can be fixed beacuse i rather not wear down the sd card slot and just 1 sd card is more convenient just hope i can get this to work.

Last edited by renegade2k82,

renegade2k82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firmware 1.0.0 doesn't support exfat. If you reformat your exfat SD card to FAT32 I bet it will work fine with just one SD card.
well petspeed I did that.formatted my SD card as fat32 moved everything back over and now it won't reboot to hekate and nothing works.

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well regarding what you said about the sd card slot being fragile snoofly instead of swapping sd cards i decided to use gui format and format my 1tb sd card to fat32 from exfat.i backed up my files of course and re copied them to the sd card but now i ran into a problem when i click on nebera on pegascape all it says is success then just hanngs with the loading circle and doesnt inject the payload.Also the reboot to rcm on pegascape fails or reboots to a black screen.i hope this can be fixed beacuse i rather not wear down the sd card slot and just 1 sd card is more convenient just hope i can get this to work.
Make sure you have Hetake.bin as sd:/atmosphere/reboot_payload.bin

Last edited by tivu100,

renegade2k82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure you have Hetake.bin as sd:/atmosphere/reboot_payload.bin
yep i also have the hetake payload named as reboot_payload.bin besides having it in the nebera folder as nebera.bin.so i have it named properly in both places.It may be useless to you medicat but that is just your opinion but in my case im fine without having to be tethered or using a jig to go into rcm.

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are using a 1 tb sdxc card right?
Nintendo states here that a system update is required to use sdxc cards so that probably doesn't work on your 1.0 console.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22481/~/microsd-card-faq#s1q3
1TB MicroSDXC should technically work as FAT32, or at least it does for me. I am on the latest firmware however as I use the 1TB card in my legit Switch as I am crazy and spend way too much on legit games for my Switch. I am 2/3 full so far and performance is fine on FAT32.

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
1TB MicroSDXC should technically work as FAT32, or at least it does for me. I am on the latest firmware however as I use the 1TB card in my legit Switch as I am crazy and spend way too much on legit games for my Switch. I am 2/3 full so far and performance is fine on FAT32.
I know that you can format a 1 TB SDXC card as FAT32 but thaat doesn't help if the old Switch firmware doesn't suppport SDXC

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that you can format a 1 TB SDXC card as FAT32 but thaat doesn't help if the old Switch firmware doesn't suppport SDXC

as far as i am aware, the only difference between HC and XC is the format, which is why cameras and other devices like the PSP, 3DS, etc work with XC cards when formatted as FAT32 unless they are crippled to not do so like Kodak cameras are.

renegade2k82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well my other sd card i used is a 128gb sdxc and that worked fine as fat32 when i used that with my 1tb sd when it was exfat when i was using the swap method granted the files were older on the 128 and it wasent the latest hekate on the 128.so my 1tb sdxc should work as fat32 on 1.0 since the only difference between that and the 128 is space difference.

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
as far as i am aware, the only difference between HC and XC is the format, which is why cameras and other devices like the PSP, 3DS, etc work with XC cards when formatted as FAT32 unless they are crippled to not do so like Kodak cameras are.

well my other sd card i used is a 128gb sdxc and that worked fine as fat32 when i used that with my 1tb sd when it was exfat when i was using the swap method granted the files were older on the 128 and it wasent the latest hekate on the 128.so my 1tb sdxc should work as fat32 on 1.0 since the only difference between that and the 128 is space difference.
Sorry then I have no idea why it doesn't work for you...

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I know that you can format a 1 TB SDXC card as FAT32 but that doesn't help if the old Switch firmware doesn't support SDXC
A lot of people associate SDXC with exFAT, the filesystem that SDXC cards come pre-formatted as. But you can format them to FAT32, and they usually work just fine.

Reactions: driverdis

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of people associate SDXC with exFAT, the filesystem that SDXC cards come pre-formatted as. But you can format them to FAT32, and they usually work just fine.
This is usually the case. Of course there are outliers, like Kodak for example who hate people that want to go past the 32GB limitation of their cameras and refuse to function with a 64GB or larger SD card.

Reactions: Jayro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
This is usually the case. Of course there are outliers, like Kodak for example who hate people that want to go past the 32GB limitation of their cameras and refuse to function with a 64GB or larger SD card.
The PSP can use 64GB and larger cards, but weird things happen. I believe that system is truly not fully compatible with any cards over 32GB, and rightfully so because I believe it came out before SDHC was even a standard if I remember right. So while SDHC works fine in the PSP, I'm not to surprised it only partially supports SDXC.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PSP can use 64GB and larger cards, but weird things happen. I believe that system is truly not fully compatible with any cards over 32GB, and rightfully so because I believe it came out before SDHC was even a standard if I remember right. So while SDHC works fine in the PSP, I'm not to surprised it only partially supports SDXC.

3DS does strange things as well, it is slow as molasses with a 400GB MicroSD in it and some people have even had trouble launching stuff.
Mine launches stuff fine but takes 20 seconds from power on until I see the home menu.

for the PSP, I wonder if it is due to the MicroSD adapters itself. Mine works great with a single 128GB card and single adapter but acted strange with the dual adapter option using two cards which people have been using for more space.

I will slam Kodak again. Their cameras know if you formatted a 64GB or larger as FAT32 since it checks free space and will throw an SD card error if you use one. They don’t pay extra licensing fees for ExFat SDXC even in 2021 for their new cameras despite the competition doing so for years now and make sure you can’t escape the 32GB limitation. I have honestly never run into anything other than their products that literally refuses to use a 64GB or larger that was formatted using a PC.

Reactions: Jayro

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yep i also have the hetake payload named as reboot_payload.bin besides having it in the nebera folder as nebera.bin.so i have it named properly in both places.It may be useless to you medicat but that is just your opinion but in my case im fine without having to be tethered or using a jig to go into rcm.
You don't need Nereba.bin. You only need it at one place.

Hetake.bin renamed as sd:/atmosphere/reboot_payload.bin

Get nereba.nsp and reboot_to_rcm.nsp from these links

https://github.com/AtlasNX/nereba/releases

https://github.com/pixel-stuck/reboot_to_rcm/releases

sd:/pegascape/nereba.nsp

sd:/pegascape/reboot_to_rcm.nsp

That's it for Pegascape on 1.0.0.

Last edited by tivu100,

renegade2k82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need Nereba.bin. You only need it at one place.

Hetake.bin renamed as sd:/atmosphere/reboot_payload.bin

Get nereba.nsp and reboot_to_rcm.nsp from these links

https://github.com/AtlasNX/nereba/releases

https://github.com/pixel-stuck/reboot_to_rcm/releases

sd:/pegascape/nereba.nsp

sd:/pegascape/reboot_to_rcm.nsp

That's it for Pegascape on 1.0.0.

ok so i think i finally got this figured out and found the problem.so instead of having hekate.bin in both places i just have it in the atmosphere folder as reboot_payload.well instead of using the latest hekate ver 5.5.5 i used one version down and used 5.5.4 and it boots to hekate perfectly fine of my fat32 1tb sd card compared to before when it didnt work using the latest one 5.5.5 witch just gave me a black screen.no more swapping sd cards and everything seems to work fine now.A big thank you to everyone who helped me :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)