Homebrew Emulator NeoGeo Pocket emu for DS

FluBBa

OP
Trophies
Website
www.ndsretro.com
XP
Country
You can make sure that a save-file (*.fla) is created in the ngpds folder.
I'm not hundred percent sure all games saves correctly though. I tried it with Picture Puzzle and completed all but the extra/secret puzzles.

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You can make sure that a save-file (*.fla) is created in the ngpds folder
there is!
the game in question is SNK vs Capcom. I assume the .fla saved should keep my win/loss records, or my custom character settings (the winning phrase, and such) but nope, nothing was saved.
There's also .STA files, i assume it's the save states. Those only corrupt the graphics when loaded, i don't know the technical explanation but i assume it overrides the palette of the current screen with that of the screen that's supposed to be loaded. But that's all it does. I'll keep trying other games.
I didn't do the data folder yet but if the .fla files are there, it shouldn't make a difference, right?

edit: puzzle bobble rom saves flash. Could the issue be the size of the rom? or the length of the rom's file name?
the puzzle bobble one has a shorter filename, and a 1mb size, while the SNKvsCapcom one has a very long filename and is 4MB.

Last edited by placebo_yue,

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Ohhh, right. I forgot.
Cartridges for the NGP only has one flash chip in them, so the game _and_ save are in the same chip. The flash chip can up to 2MB, except when the game is 4MB then it's 2 chips and I only emulate writing to one of them :glare:
Will add that to the todo.
Cool, me being annoying reminded you of something to fix! i'll be awaiting it. Thanks a lot for your work

Reactions: VatoLoco and FluBBa

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
@FluBBa please update your overview page also, since it still tells there's no stereo sound:
NeoGeo Pocket emulator for Nintendo DS

Should play most games.
Can save flash ram.

Limits:
No stereo sound yet.
No save states yet.

Limits on NDS/NDS Lite:
Can only load games up to 2MB.
Doesn't run full speed.

i doubt these statements are up to date, keep up the great work, you're doing magic!

Reactions: Tarmfot

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Most games works surprisingly fast now, with only cpu speed hack switched on it boost up to full speed and fix some sprite glitches to almost all games i tried out on regular ds lite. How sweet are working now fighting games like SNK Gals Fighters, wonderful expirence! That's incredible what is possible now in compare to previous releases. Thank's again!

Reactions: CrashMidnick

wavemotion

Benign Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very solid, @FluBBa !!

Nice to hear some of the missing sounds - SNK Gals Fighter is awesome. Pocket Metal Slug 1 has most of the sounds but MS-Mission 2 seems to drop sound in/out. Pocket Magical Drop (still my fav) is near perfect now.

Reactions: CrashMidnick

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
New version 0.4.9
Better flash emulation, saving & loading.
Working state saving & loading.
Awesome! snk vs capcom now saves correctly.
Sadly, i don't have any sound whatsoever now, not even on the bios intro screen. I'm sure i had sound at least on that part, not 100% sure about having sound in-game before with your emulator (i've been playing these games on PC as well these days)
Performance also seems to have improved a bit, looks nearly perfect to me on O3DS. Good work man

edit: i can hear a slight static noise from the speakers when i move the volume slider while using the emulator. I can confirm it's not my console being faulty because that doesn't happen outside the emulator, i have sound and no static. If i can help you testing anything else let me know

FluBBa

OP
Trophies
Website
www.ndsretro.com
XP
Country
Damn it! I thought I tested everything. I tried to make the mute sound register behave more like the real thing but I ended up messing it up.
But it should be fixed now.
The save states are not really tested so if you find a game or specific place in game that doesn't work please report it here.
Right now I'm not saving the flash together with the save state but I think most games keep their state in RAM while running so hopefully that is not a problem.

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Damn it! I thought I tested everything. I tried to make the mute sound register behave more like the real thing but I ended up messing it up.
But it should be fixed now.
The save states are not really tested so if you find a game or specific place in game that doesn't work please report it here.
Right now I'm not saving the flash together with the save state but I think most games keep their state in RAM while running so hopefully that is not a problem.
Thanks, sound is working again. I will test save states later.

EDIT : Tested save states with Sonic : it is working but SFX sounds are missing when loading them. You need to die or finish a level and they come back. Music is not affected.

Last edited by CrashMidnick,

FluBBa

OP
Trophies
Website
www.ndsretro.com
XP
Country
Fixed timers, interrupts and scrolling.
Fixed DAA opcode.

The timers affects at least the music in Fatal Fury probably other games as well.
I guess this will be the last version for a while, unless someone can really point out exactly how to fix stuff.
I will look into WonderSwan in a bit.

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Fixed timers, interrupts and scrolling.
Fixed DAA opcode.

The timers affects at least the music in Fatal Fury probably other games as well.
I guess this will be the last version for a while, unless someone can really point out exactly how to fix stuff.
I will look into WonderSwan in a bit.
This is awesome ! Thanks FluBBa ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse