NeoGamma/Gamecube Loader loads with retail games?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Yoyoenix91, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Yoyoenix91
    OP

Newcomer Yoyoenix91 Member

United States
    Hello, question.

Whenever I load one of my retail Gamecube discs, the Backup loader pops up and says something, than loads the retail disc. Is there a way I can have it load up like normal? I'm running the games from the Disc Channel, for the record.

I've heard this causes problems for games like Eternal Darkness, which I do own a retail copy of.

Thank you to anyone who helps me fix this.

2. Yoyoenix91
    OP

United States
    Erm... it was probably a dumb or noobish question... but if anyone can help, it would be awesome. [​IMG]

3. thesund0g

Member thesund0g GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    If you're using the actual disc channel, it just loads, like normal. If you're using an autoboot channel to start neogamma or w/e, it shows the loader text. There may be a "silent startup" version floating around somewhere, check wadder.net.

4. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Install the cMIOS from here:
    http://gbatemp.net/t219243-neogamma-r9-beta-test

And use the latest NeoGamma, it will allow you to:
    Play all retail discs from disc channel
    Play all retail discs from NeoGamma even with Ocarina/Wiird
    Play most backup games from NeoGamma
    but:
    doesn't play any backups from disc channel

I think Waninkoko's cMIOS also allows you to play retail discs, but Eternal Darkness is just one of the few that it can't boot.(read error in the intro)

5. Yoyoenix91
    OP

United States
    It seems I wasn't very clear. I've updated to the latest build of NeoGamma, but when I load my own retail Gamecube games in the Disc Channel (the one that's on every Wii), NeoGamma pops up for a second. I just want to get rid of the message. Hell, I don't even need NeoGamma to play my retail games, the Wii can already play them.

6. bwillb

Member bwillb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    sounds like you installed DARKCORP...

7. WiiPower

Germany
    I never heard from a hack that really replaces the disc channel with NeoGamma.

1. Are you sure you installed the cMIOS i told you? If you do, you can't play backups from disc channel anymore, but here's no solution for ALL retail discs + backups from disc channel. (not that i know of at least)

2. Are you sure you use the disc channel, and not a NeoGamma channel that looks like the disc channel?

3. Does NeoGamma pop up or does it say something about WiiGator or Waninkoko? In both cases => That's not NeoGamma + you did not install the cMIOS i told you.

8. Yoyoenix91
    OP

United States
    Sorry about the wait, my ISP is crap.

Sorry, I was confused about the cMios you wanted me to install WiiPower. I thought I already had that installed... and for the record, if I can remember correctly, the popup said WiiGator... or simply Backup Launcher, or something. I thought that was a part of Neogamma, but I'm assuming Neogamma just boots this other program up to run Gamecube backups?

And I know for a fact that I'm using the official Disc Channel, I never moved it from it's default position on the Wii System Menu.

Installing this will remove the launcher popping up for retail Gamecube games, and won't give me any problems with loading Backups under any loader?

If so, I'll have to test this when I get home from a mini-vacation. I didn't bring any Gamecube games with me. [​IMG];

9. Yoyoenix91
    OP

United States
    ... erm, I don't meant to bump a dead topic, but seeing as I made the topic, it'd be okay?

I never got a reply on my last question, and I got busy with college + PSP hacking.

Still, I'd like to look into being able to run my retail, legit Gamecube discs through the Wii's Disc Loader, without any interference from Neogamma. No pop ups, no loading through Neogamma, just legitimate booting through the Wii.

Is this possible?

10. WiiPower

Germany
  11. Yoyoenix91
    OP

United States
    So all I have to do is put this in my apps folder, run it, and update/overwrite my current version? I'm at the option called "Install Patced MIOSv10" with two other options for patching homebrew and setting a revision to 65535.

That's all I have to do? I don't want to brick or break anything.

12. Yoyoenix91
    OP

United States
    ... hello? ._.

13. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Yes just install it!!!! The reason you see the backup loader when loading Retail discs is because of the way it works. Wiigators MIOS always loads the backup loader when it's loaded and then if it doesn't find the disc to be a backup it then returns an error and boots through standard MIOS. If you don't want that to come up when loading retail discs use the cMIOS that wiipower mentioned. Otherwise just quit your whining and leave it. As for loading Eternal Darkness you must use a MIOS other than Wiigators....

14. Yoyoenix91
    OP

United States
    I thank you for your help much appreciated. However, that came off as a bit... hostile.

I don't claim to know what I'm doing half of the time, so I was just double-checking, triple-checking even.

And I'm not whining. I left this topic alone for months, just a few months short of a year.
    When I saw that no one had ever responded, I decided to ask again. And then I got the same answer, which just confused me. When I asked what it did, I didn't get an answer. I understand if he had to step out or something, so I just thought I'd bump the topic so he'd notice whenever he got back.

So, really, chill out. No need to get aggravated with me. ._.;

Update: It worked like a charm! Thank you so much WiiPower, and you too Hells Guardian. This is great.

15. Hells Guardian

United States
    The part I was hostile about isn't that you asked it's that you were unwilling to just wait for a reply. the hello? bumps are one thing that greatly erks me. I'm sorry if I seemed like an ass as it really isn't my place to say anything.... Anyways you are right there was no need for that. I hope you got it figured out.

Oh and also the only thing you will ever break while playing around with the MIOS is gamecube support which is easy to fix by undoing whatever you do. so no worries about a brick there. [​IMG]

16. Yoyoenix91
    OP

United States
    No worries man, I was just worried that this topic would go another few months. xD

Now if DIOs MIOs could achieve the perfection that USB Loader GX has... ohohohoho. I'd have a field day with my external hard drive.

17. Hells Guardian

United States
    Yeah too bad the hardware is just too limited to be able to make it work flawlessly. On the other hand Swiss is starting to look fairly promising. If Emu-Kidid realeses an update for it sometime in the near future that is.

18. Yoyoenix91
    OP

United States
    I just looked into Swiss, and it seems promising, but... setting up the Wii to boot in Gamecube mode... erm... if I worded that properly... is that safe?

Eh, I'll wait until all the kinks are worked out. [​IMG];

19. Hells Guardian

United States
    It's quite easy as Wiipowers actually released a tool called swissbooter that will boot the app in GC mode. The only thing that I think it requires is a cMIOS I could be wrong though. Installing a cMIOS is extremely easy and very very safe. You can't ever possibly brick a wii when playing with the MIOS (The Gamecube support software.) The worst that could happen is you break GC support which can be fixed by reinstalling the MIOS so no needs to worry. As for using swiss well you will need either an IDE-EXI adapter or an SD Gecko adapter. I have one of each. You can get the SD gecko pretty cheap on dealextreme but it takes awhile. Took me three weeks to get it from them. Of course I'm also in the US.

20. Yoyoenix91
    OP

United States
    So, from what I remember about DIOs MIOs, is that there just isn't enough ram or power to be able to run Gamecube games at the right speed, at least with the method they have, right?

So this Swiss method... this is where we will be able to run Gamecube games at more than 1 FPS?