NeoGamma DVD Read Error (1048) only for SSBB

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by misterbreadcrum, Dec 9, 2011.

1. misterbreadcrum
    OP

Newcomer misterbreadcrum Member

United States
    I've loaded up a couple of other titles like Galaxy 2 and Mario Kart on disc backups, but this morning when I popped in the copy of SSBB I burned late last night, it gave me this error immediately. Why this disc and not others? Using DVD-R at 3x write speed.

2. Kyouhei

Member Kyouhei Official 任天堂 Lover

Antarctica
    ssbb needs a dvd-r DL. its a 8GB game. regular dvd-r's cant hold it. and as such. it wont work.

3. misterbreadcrum
    OP

United States
    Positive? I got a few different versions and figured the Wii wouldn't use a dual layer disc for a game. Both versions checked out as SSBB in WBS manager. I'd love a second opinion and if this is truly the case I'll go run out and get another verbatim. The Wii can really read dual layers and it won't be a waste of money? I hate paying upwards of 8 dollars for a lameass coaster.

4. misterbreadcrum
    OP

United States
    Indeed it would appear the game is 7.12 gigs approximately. I think I'll just go and get a single DL disc for it, the Wii can positively read DL discs? Are there particular brands that won't work? Verbatim gets expensive.

5. Coto

Member Coto GBAtemp Addict

Chile
    The legal Smash Bros Brawl IS a DVD-DL disk.

There are ways to turn it into a DVD5 (Single Layer), but you'll need a trucha fake signed ios to run modified ISOS off the wii's DVD drive. If you have a modchip, get priiloader to block disk updates, enable region free wii games, then do the above. (this if you want to run games off System Menu)

Maybe you didn't set the layerbreak correctly (must be typed manually) when you burned that game onto a DVD + DL, right?? Neogamma uses a cIOS249 to read media.

There's a guide here in GBATemp where you can shrink a FULL DL SSBB ISO into a SL SSBB ISO by removing the sub emissary videos off the game partition. I have one like this burned on a DVD-R (SL) because it's easier to read to lens (and a chipped wii too..)

6. misterbreadcrum
    OP

United States
    Thanks Coto, but I went through all of that yesterday haha, If you had said those exact words in a topic I posted early yesterday morning you'd have saved me hours of trouble. I burned SSBB to a single layer DVD-R. I'll just go out and buy some DVD-R DL discs. There are a couple more games I want to play that are upwards of 7g anyway. Thanks though!

7. Kyouhei

Member Kyouhei Official 任天堂 Lover

Antarctica
    okay. i wish you luck!

8. misterbreadcrum
    OP

United States
    When you say you set the layerbreak manually, what do you mean? I burned dozens of games for the x360 but never had to do this. What should I set the layerbreak to and how?

9. misterbreadcrum
    OP

United States
    Ugh, fuck, I've coastered two discs because Imgburn doesn't like them or something. I get a check condition interpretation unkown error. I was burning at 4x, then 3x, and I'm about to try 8x, because that's what it says on the cover, then I'll try 2.4x after that? These were pretty cheap discs... Kodak 10 pack DVD+R DL. Any suggestions? I read that burning at higher speeds might do the trick, hoping it will.

10. FIX94

Global Moderator FIX94 Global Moderator

Germany
    You surely set layer break to 2084960 using imgburn? And why don't use a usb hdd? It's way faster and better for your wii :P

11. Coto

Chile
    You can set a specific layerbreak (when the burning in the 1st layer of a DL disk ends, then the laser will begin burning into the 2nd layer). This can be manually set in IMGBurn:
    Tools>Write>Layer Break tab> User specified.

SSBB layer break: 2084960

Do you have a modchip? It would be a good idea to update the cios249 to d2xrev6 base IOS 56.

12. misterbreadcrum
    OP

United States
    I'm on a slightly older cios249. Rev 17 I believe, the one i got from waninkoko's guide. Next time I get the chance I'll be sure to install that one though, Somehow I got it to work without setting the layerbreak, but I haven't gotten to insert the disc into the Wii so idk if it will work 100% I think it's just that the media is cheap.

13. misterbreadcrum
    OP

United States
    Yeah I got the same dvd read error. I just set the layer break and I'm trying again. Hope I didn't waste money on cheap media that won't work.

14. FIX94

Global Moderator FIX94 Global Moderator

Germany
    I don't think it will work correct, iirc if you don't set correct layer break the game will crash in certain videos. Oh and cheap media is not good for the wii drive :P

15. kylster

Member kylster mich weich töten

United States
    So what is considered good media? memorex, sony?

16. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Here are some points i want to add:
    - R.I.P. your drive if you continue to torture it.
    - Some Wii drives, especially older ones, have heavy problems with retail dual layer discs. Considering that dual layer DVD-Rs reflect even less light than retail discs, you can forget to load these discs in those drives.
    - If you don't set the layer break as explained, you will run into problems the sooner or later.
    - Some cIOS don't fully support dual layer discs, they boot up, but you get errors later. Install the latest d2x cIOS with base IOS56 to make sure you got a good one.
    - You are not using the latest NeoGamma version, it won't fix this problem, but it will avoid getting other problems in the future.
    - There are single layer versions of the game, which will work fine if other single layer games work. But almost all cutscenes are missing.

17. misterbreadcrum
    OP

United States
    I'm using Kodak. Got 10 discs for 8.99. Mistake? I guess Verbatim is good media. Which is what I'll be sticking with from now on. I set the layerbreak properly. I never had to do that with x360 burns though, why not? And where can I find the layerbreak settings for future burns?

18. misterbreadcrum
    OP

United States
    Img burn seems to absolutely hate these discs. Despite the layerbreak being set correctly I couldn't get all the way through the burn without getting some random uninterpreted error. I'm going out to buy Verbatim discs now.

19. Luigi2012SM64DS

Banned Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Canada
    yeah MAKE SURE THEY ARE DVD-R DL! and that your burn at 4x speed

20. Coto

Chile
    Layerbreak (if we're referring to Wii games) seek to fix compatibility between some DVD-DL games & modchips (later cios). Guess this is back from the DVD backups era.

If you're having weird error while writing media, that's not good. Either the DVD media brand isn't good, or the burner isn't that good.

Stop wasting DVD+DL disks, find a way to build a DVD5 SSBB (which can be easily found on internet.. not asking were to find it here, though) and yes, DVD DL will kill the lens much sooner than you think.

Also, some modchips tend to "force way more" the lens just to get "compatibility with DVD+R.. etc", I don't know how it performed but it kills the laser faster than doing the softmod way.

Ritek, Ridata, most cheap DVD-R (DVD-5, NOT mini-DVDs) are "coincidentally" built from those companies. You can check the DVD's physical manufacturer in IMGBurn's detailed media log