yeah just need to see it... PICS! shaun!! lots of em!! [​IMG]

2. Foppzter

Foppzter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

This is great new, good luck shaunj.

3. Elrinth

Elrinth :Master beyond your imagination:

everyone = someone [​IMG]
    thanks for clearing that up.

Sadly I'd have wanted a cart which fitted in the DS slot. Seems those carts are too hard to reproduce?
    But I guess we'll be getting that in some near future. [​IMG]

4. Athlon-pv

Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Just expect more from 2nd generation of DS flashcards , there is always someone who looks at the problem from a different angle and in time we will get newer and improved versions ....

[​IMG]

5. djgarf

djgarf I Am A Raver
    Former Staff

the same can be said of first generation modchips for consoles but they still sell very well cus some people just have to get new toys as soon as they come out

6. Lukaso

Lukaso Newbie
    Newcomer

Netherlands
    this is indeed very interesting, couple of questions though:

is it 512mbit or 512 MB

why can't they just use flash cards(sd/cf) like the play-yan/gba movieplayer?

what is the passME for? i think i understand how it works, but do you just put a normal DS game in it? and why can't they make make a PassMe that fits in the DS that doesn't need a normal DS game to put in? It seems quite unconveniant playing the DS with al kinds of cartridges sticking out...

greets, [​IMG]

7. Vater Unser

Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Gambia, The
    I still think that it's by the XG Flash guys, so I guess that it won't make any problems, as they've gathered much experience over the years by developing all those XG Flashcards, which belong to the best ones available to date...
    and since the NeoFlash is just working like a GBA flashcard, there shouldn't be any problems

I think that there might be flashcards that don't need an original DS game few months after the release of the NeoFlash, and that the first DS flashcards that work without a GBA cartridge will come no sooner than by the end of the year

but maybe I'm just too optimistic...but I think the NeoFlash is great, even though it needs both slots, as you can flash both DS and GBA games, so if this works properly, I'm surely getting one

8. shaunj66

shaunj66 GBAtemp Administrator
    Administrator

United Kingdom
    It's based on the same tech that Darkfader built for his first passthrough around. It basically just tells the DS to load data from the GBA cart slot instead of the DS slot. The original DS cart that plugs into it is purely for initial authentication (encryption bypassing). [​IMG]

The MagicKey is pretty much the same thing as a PassMe.

9. Dirtie

Dirtie :'D
    Former Staff

New Zealand
    When you get it: Review, review, review. Oh, and don't go easy on them just because you're now partnered with them and all...

10. decript

decript A melon a day, keeps t3h monkey away

Canada
    OMG, this is excellent news. I'm counting the days, not till it comes out, but until it gets reviewed!

11. accolon

accolon GBAtemp Regular

Gambia, The
    Well, there are a few small problems with this argumentation:
    1. Many people have already got a flash cartridge for GBA, but most of the older ones are too small (personally, I don't know anybody who has got one larger than 256 MBit), and even the newer ones with a capacity of 1 GBit might not be compatible with the Magic Key, so they have to sell a set containing of a PassMe clone and a "special" flash cart. In conclusion, it doesn't matter if people already own flash cartridges, and when the company has to sell such a bundle, they could actually choose between a flash cartridge and a flash card (or they can't, read on).

2. Larger flash cards are more expensive, but they are NOT more expensive than a flash cartridge of the same size. For a flash cartridge with 128 MByte (1 GBit) you have to pay a lot (!) more than for a flash card (like MMC, SD, CF) with the same size. I bought a 1 GByte MMC for my mobile phone for about 80 Euros, a 128 MByte MMC costs about 15 Euros. So flash cards would be a very cheap solution, and since most of the controller logic is inside the card (especially when you take CF cards), an adapter for a very large flash card does not cost more than an adapter for a small one.

The main reason for using expensive and small flash cartridges instead of cheap and large flash cards is (and will always) be speed. Flash cartridges use a special kind of flash ROM (NOR flash), which is very fast when being read and quite slow when being written. Only NOR flash is fast enough to run program code directly from the ROM. On the downside, this type of flash is very expensive and only available with quite small capacities.

12. Vater Unser

Gambia, The
    there currently isn't much choice...if you want to get the best available, you can either get an EZF, oder an XGF
    both do what they're supposed to do, and even though the XG Flash 1 was copied from EZ Flash, the XG Flash 2 Ultra is original and just as good as EZ Flash 2 cards, if not even better

and XG Flashs have always been better than Visoly cards or F2A

13. fintendo

fintendo GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    I had a XG2Turbo which was a very good cart. Of course it had little problems but overall I was very happy with it. [​IMG]

14. TheGreat2nd

TheGreat2nd [No Title]

United States
    I wonder if this'll work when DS goes online...

NeoFlash will definately be interesting with an SNES emulator though.

15. Vater Unser

Gambia, The
    I wonder if it'll even just work in the future, without having to crack every single game...the games could just easily check the ID or something of the card that's inserted into the DS slot, and if it's wrong, just crash...

16. 754boy

754boy :D
    Banned

United States
    Well I'm counting the days until this is revealed to be all a big lie and then everyone will get mad [​IMG]

17. th3sandm4n

th3sandm4n I'm here for the knowledge!

United States
    I leave and coem back to find this awesome news!!!

WOOOOOOT!

18. TPi

TPi One Tired Raccoon
    Former Staff

Canada
    ...http://www.ndsflash.com/index.shtml...neoflash shop? ...http://www.neoflash.com/smf/index.php...official neoflash forum is open. who knows, yo. just giving the links. according to the forum, release date is May 2oo5, so at most ~5 weeks. hooray!

~skizziks

19. A7mag3ddon

A7mag3ddon Newbie

In reply to whoever it was that asked why do they need a magic key or passme to play from the GBA slot;

You dont anymore, a replacement DS firmware has been released allowing the booting of 'homebrew' code from the ds flashcard. unfortunatly you do need a passme to flash your firmware in order to do it though, but this is good news as now you only need 1 passme between a few people to flash your DS and in time i think the hacking of DS will be via firmware upgrades and not just via DS cards and adapters.

20. Costello

OP Costello Headmaster
    Administrator

correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you also need to solder 1 wire to allow writing permission on the firmware...

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - NeoFlash,