Neoflash Competition Results

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Costello, Sep 15, 2008.

Sep 15, 2008

Neoflash Competition Results by Costello at 9:20 PM (2,110 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Costello
    OP

Administrator Costello Headmaster

[​IMG] Neoflash Competition Results
    t4ils did it again!
    The results of the reknowned Neoflash coding competition have just been announced. There were a total of 4 categories: PSP applications, PSP games, NDS+GBA applications and NDS+GBA games. The first 3 winners in each category would win respectively $300, $200 and $100 ($2400 worth of prizes!).

Here are the top 3 NDS+GBA homebrew applications:
    #1: ApprenticeMinusDS 0.4.0, a Sega Master System/Game Gear emulator by Lordus
    #2: DSbible 2.5, by Jeremysr
    #3: DSBash, by leinad

And more importantly: the top 3 NDS/GBA homebrew games:
    [​IMG] #1: StillAliveDS, by t4ils
    [​IMG] #2: Video Games Hero, by sumiguchi
    [​IMG] #3: Marble, by Noda

As you can see the top 3 games are quite similar to our recent competition (NDS Homebrew Bounty)! So, congratulations again to t4ils, sumiguchi and Noda for their awesome homebrew games!

[​IMG] Read full story on Neoflash forums

2. Salamantis

Member Salamantis GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    @t4ils: You WILL share the loot with me.

Congratulations everyone!

3. pilotwangs

Member pilotwangs GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    Wow,T4ils is doing alright for the prizes at the moment,though he does deserve it.

Though im a bit annoyed VGhero didn't win.

4. Costello
    OP

Administrator Costello Headmaster

I understand that this is a good game, technically, but music/rythm video games is a type of game that is disliked by many.
    If you like the genre, you'll probably love VGH. If you don't like the genre, VGH will unfortunately not be an exception.
    This raises a question: should we vote for applications/games for their technical performance? or the overall entertainment / gaming experience?

5. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    i agree with what costello is saying. i personally hate rhythm games, they don't do anything for me. however, i do love the retro songs put into that game, and i've had great times playing it with my 5yr old nephew. i think to win that game really needed to step it up by tweaking out the graphics a bit, adding extras no one has thought of yet for that genre, etc.

when voting i'm sure people vote for what they like based on how well it was pulled off as homebrew. so you are getting a love of the game and an opinion of the technicial side of things. it is hard to be objective, which is why most of us are at home posting on this forum and not the judge of a serious comp. somewhere.

congrats to tails! stillaliveds is super fun with the best ending theme song ever!!! its worth beating the game just to hear the ending song. i always wondered is the computer who talks a german or does he just have bad engrish at times by accident?

-another world

6. AXYPB

Member AXYPB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Perhaps the compo can open up multiple categories for such qualities as technical excellence and overall experience? I'm not familiar with how these contests are judged but I can't think of any other way around that question.

7. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Congrats to the winners, yet again (which happens to be those of us who are homebrew fans, rather than the contest entrants.)

IMHO, anything that is judged for any sort of pageant (yeah, I consider these contests to be very similar because of some of the entrants disagreement/negativity with their score after the results are posted, you'd think it was a popularity contest where your entire life hangs in the balance for some folks) should have established criterion before judging commences. That means basically, having a fair and agreed upon by the contests hosts scoring card - the results of the cards need not go beyond internal, but it's the only way to equally judge anything that is so subjective as "I like this" and "I don't like that" while making sure the judges give attention to the specific points of judgement.

8. Curley5959

Member Curley5959 CCC Member!

Australia
    Congrats.. If VGH had a few more recognisable and enjoyable songs, It would have won, possibly but some of the songs are long and boring and repetitive,, Apart from that, Its better than Guitar Hero DS