NeoDS: how to put cheats into a rom with the unibios 2.3

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by it s'a me M, Aug 18, 2008.

1. it s'a me M
    OP

Newcomer it s'a me M Member

Italy
    OK, here we go! i have mslug.zip - neogeo.zip - and THIS. Now, i open the executable and i type in "mslug", i select the 8th bios (the v 2.3 unibios) and i click "PATCH". like any other rom (i use the 3rd bios, usually, to convert a rom), in a "cmd - like style" some odd things happens on my PC. And, YUP, i have there the mslug.neo file, i put it DIRECTLY into the root of my R4 kernel v 1.18 (i don't think it means something, but i committed lots of errors, LOTS, in my life) and i tap on the icon of NeoDS v 1.1 ('cause into the 2.0 one mslug4 doesn't work) and i press START after highlighted the mslug.neo file, and...*rolling*...BLACK SCREEN! YAY! F**K! (note: that happens with EVERY - SINGLE -GAME - I - OWN). on the second page of another thread, an user with the nick that has the name "Zeus" in it, said that patching a game with the unibios, you can select the codes for infinite health bar/inf.time/inf.ammo, ecc, but...how the F**K**G HELL can i patch a game if it doesn't work? Black screen, the best friend of a videogamer! YES...sure...well, if you guys know something, please tell me, and also, please don't ban me cause my awful english, i'm only a 12 years old, little,Italian, innocent kid [​IMG]

2. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    Are you getting the MAME romsets? You have to get the MAME romsets as opposed to the Neo Geo romsets, in some cases they're the same and it won't matter, but IIRC mslug is different in its MAME and Neo Geo sets.

3. it s'a me M
    OP

Italy
    the files into the zip are all *.bin

4. it s'a me M
    OP

Italy
    Thanks to the help of Benandanti, i got patched some roms, but, now, comes the real question: with the rom patched with the bios 8, how can i activate the codes?

5. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    Assuming you haven't messed with the control config at all, hit R+Start once the game has loaded and it will take you to the in-game menu. From here you can enable cheats.

6. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    if you read the universe bios home page it says to hold "A+B+C" when the game is booting up to get the universe bios menu. Then in game you need to hold the "Start" and "Select" buttons depending on your button configs to turn on other stuff.

in the bios menu you set the region and play with the dip switches. for metal slug you can get blood at this part. the in game cheat is more for infinite stuff like ammo and lives.

http://unibios.free.fr/howitworks.html

cheers,
    -another world

7. Bergunzo

Member Bergunzo GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    I downloaded latest unibios from that site (http://unibios.free.fr) but it give me a zip file with a .rom file inside. How can I use that? Thannks

8. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    if you bothered to read the readme included with neods it states you need to rename it.

"If you want to use the universal bios, name the file uni-bios.rom, and add it to neogeo.zip. This enables lots of nice features like switching between home and arcade mode, and cheats. This is the recommended way to use NeoDS."

-another world