NeoDS - A Guide to Using One of the Greatest DS Emulators

Introduction​

NeoDS is a NeoGeo emulator for the DS(i) system. This is arguably one of the greatest emulators to ever emerge onto the DS homebrew scene. One question always comes up though; how do I make this work?

This guide will get you from downloading the emulator to playing your first game. Be aware, there will be at least one file that I can't link you to that is needed to convert files that you will have to locate on your own. It isn't difficult to find, but being a BIOS file, I can't give it to you here without breaking the rules. I hope you understand.

Downloading NeoDS

Step 1: Make sure to download the NeoDS emulator from the Filetrip link below. The latest version is v0.2.0.
download.gif
NeoDS v0.2.0

Step 2: Unzip the file labeled [2684]NeoDs020. Open the folder, then open the single folder with in. This should take you to a directory with the 10 items pictured below included.

[thumb]http://gbatemp.net/pix/271209/NeoDS%20Screen%201.png[/thumb]

Step 3: Open the folder labeled NeoDsConvert.

Converting a ROM to Work On NeoDS​

Now's the tricky portion. There are two things that should be known prior to trying to convert. NeoDS uses the MAME ROM set. Any game that works with MAME will work with NeoDS after conversion. A quick Google should find you a large repository of these games. I will not link to any MAME ROM's here.

Note: There are two ways to convert. One way uses an easy to use executable. The other way requires the use of the command line though. That method is outlined in the readme included with the download, and I will not be explaining it here.

Step 1: Obtain the neogeo BIOS files. The zip file will be labeled neogeo, and the BIOS files will be a list of items that will be of no use to you in an unzipped format. Without this file, you can not begin the converting process. I can also not link to the BIOS file here. Once again, a quick Google should yield positive results.

Step 2: Obtain a MAME ROM file. For the sake of this tutorial, I will be using a Metal Slug file to demonstrate. Leave the ROM file in a zipped format. The below picture is what your file list should resemble before a conversion. Note that the neogeo file is still compressed, as is the ROM file.

[thumb]http://pix.gbatemp.net/271209/NeoDS%20Screen%202.png[/thumb]

Step 3: Double click NeoDsConvert. Don't confuse this with the .sln file. Make sure you double click the executable. Upon double clicking it, you should see the Command window pop open going through tons of little processes. You should get two .neo files out of it. Below is what should be received. Of course, the ROM file will vary by name. Below is an example of what you should see. The two new files are highlighted.

[thumb]http://pix.gbatemp.net/271209/NeoDS%20Screen%203.png[/thumb]

Congratulations! You have successfully converted a game to work on NeoDS!​

Getting That Game You Just Converted to Work On Your DS​

At this point, you have two new files. One will be your converted ROM that shares the name of the ROM file's zip archive, the other will be a side file made through the conversion. At this present time, I can't find a use for the side file. The Metal Slug game used for testing worked well with and without the file being present on the MicroSD card.

Note: For testing, I am using my Original R4 with the Wood v1.27 firmware. As a piece of homebrew, the emulator may or may not work on your firmware. For any non-game conversion or loading related issues, please make a new topic inquiring about help within the proper section of GBAtemp. I will not be covering flash cart compatibility with this emulator here.

Step 1: Plug your MicroSD card into the computer and open to the root of the MicroSD card. At this point, no NeoGeo related items should be present.

[thumb]http://pix.gbatemp.net/271209/NeoDS%20Screen%204.png[/thumb]

Step 2: Create a folder on your MicroSD card's root with the name "NeoGeo" for easy recognition of what is in there.

Step 3: Copy all of the contents of NeoDS folder into the NeoGeo folder on your MicroSD card with the exception of the readme, the converted ROM file(s), and the NeoDsConvert folder. The below is what your MicroSD card should resemble, from NeoGeo folder creation, to placement of the emulator files.

Creation of the NeoGeo folder:
[thumb]http://pix.gbatemp.net/271209/NeoDS%20Screen%205.png[/thumb]

What files to transfer from the computer to the MicroSD card:
[thumb]http://pix.gbatemp.net/271209/NeoDS%20Screen%206.png[/thumb]

What the NeoGeo folder on your MicroSD card should look like:
[thumb]http://pix.gbatemp.net/271209/NeoDS%20Screen%207.png[/thumb]

Step 4: Now you need to place your converted ROM file(s) onto the MicroSD card. Do not place these files into the NeoGeo folder anywhere. This emulator searches the root of the MicroSD card for ROM files. Placement anywhere else will render them undetectable.

Step 5: Boot up your DS and access the NeoGeo folder. The emulator itself may only show as a DS Program File, but will be the only one in the NeoGeo folder. Boot up the emulator and it will show the list of games if you have followed every step up to this point.

Press Start to boot up your game and enjoy!​

If you have any questions regarding this guide, feel free to post below. I will make sure to answer them to the best of my ability.[/p]

This tutorial is property of Nathan Drake of GBAtemp.net.
This tutorial is for use only on GBAtemp.net. This is not authorized to be copied, sold, or redistributed anywhere.

Updated May 26th, 2011 at 9:37AM PST
Reason for edit: Had to add a single word :3

digr8one

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I found an update in the depths of some r4 site and it works. Seriously anyone who uses NeoDS needs to look at this. Allows more than 64 games and for roms to be stored in a folder. This is like front page news.
:O Wow I need to try it :D I hate when I can't have things in folders, it looks so messy! Thank you!

Edit : Works Perfect. What a difference on the memory card. Its less messy. Recommend this version to anyone that likes the old one! Plus you can have many many more now!

Last edited by digr8one,

lincruste

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Evidently the 3DS is 2D handicapped... or at least that's the impression I get from M2, and pretty much anyone else who's worked with the machine. A straight port isn't going to be terribly easy.
Sprites in Ben Ingram's NeoDS are actually mapped triangles, which means 2D capacities are not that important.

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well neods 2.1 is cool and very usefull to organize a microSD but unfortunally, this version doesn't seem to be compatible with EZ Flash 3in1, Is there a version of neoDS 2.1 compatible with EZ Flash 3in1 ?

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well neods 2.1 is cool and very usefull to organize a microSD but unfortunally, this version doesn't seem to be compatible with EZ Flash 3in1, Is there a version of neoDS 2.1 compatible with EZ Flash 3in1 ?
Honestly, I don't think so. I'm running NeoDS via TWLoader on my 3DS and it runs perfectly. I would have to suggest using the older version if it works for you.

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thx for your reply, I have a ds lite with a dstwo+ and the result with neods 2.1 is already pretty cool, I was just curious to know if it was possible to optimize this config.

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thx for your reply, I have a ds lite with a dstwo+ and the result with neods 2.1 is already pretty cool, I was just curious to know if it was possible to optimize this config.
Okay, so if you google hard "neods 2.1b" you'll find threads of the guy who modded the source code and made a non-scaled and scaled version, 2.1b is the scaled version. But he says in the thread he was accepting general requests, I'm too tired to look for a link at this time of night.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Okay, so if you google hard "neods 2.1b" you'll find threads of the guy who modded the source code and made a non-scaled and scaled version, 2.1b is the scaled version. But he says in the thread he was accepting general requests, I'm too tired to look for a link at this time of night.
That's the creator of the file I uploaded, he responded on another thread here on GBAtemp now that I think about it.

Reactions: Indy13

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Can you pm me his nickname on GBATemp, please ? I've tried to google "neods 2.1b" as you told me but most of the results I have are french links or russians links and when I google "neods 2.1b gbatemp", I have no results, I'm really interested in learning how to compile and decompile an .nds file and modify neods 2.1 to optimize it.

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you pm me his nickname on GBATemp, please ? I've tried to google "neods 2.1b" as you told me but most of the results I have are french links or russians links and when I google "neods 2.1b gbatemp", I have no results, I'm really interested in learning how to compile and decompile an .nds file and modify neods 2.1 to optimize it.
When I googled it was the second thread under this one. Here he is. Dace was his name. If you make any major changes post them here so we can check them out. https://gbatemp.net/threads/neods-update.374204/

Last edited by elBenyo,

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks again elBenyo, you rocks ! No problemo, if I can make a 2.1b compatible with EZFlash3in1, I will share the build ;)

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any chance of getting this for 3DS? Not for DS Mode, but a Emulator for the 3DS? Can run Homebrew/Hacked Roms with this, which RetroArch FBA NeoGeo Core can not.

D

Deleted User

Any chance of getting this for 3DS? Not for DS Mode, but a Emulator for the 3DS? Can run Homebrew/Hacked Roms with this, which RetroArch FBA NeoGeo Core can not.
I doubt it. The last update was years ago. The emulator is most likely abandoned.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Smoker1

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn. Would be nice to get a Homebrew/Rom Hack Emulator. It can be done with RetroArch, but you got to make sure it can run correctly, or place the File in a Folder with the Name of the Hack, so you dont Overwrite the Main Rom you need for Normal Roms

hmiem81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, with the newest version of TWiLight Menu ++ this is working from SD on 3DS and DSi! Great news for an underappreciated great emulator!

phoanlien

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey all, with the newest version of TWiLight Menu ++ this is working from SD on 3DS and DSi! Great news for an underappreciated great emulator!
Can you please post how were you able to get it to work, I try twilight menu on DSI XL, but only get white screen

strawpoll-legend

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you please post how were you able to get it to work, I try twilight menu on DSI XL, but only get white screen
I'm in the same boat. I tried to load both Twinkle Star Sprites and Pulstar, and they freeze at "Loading banks into main ram..." They are in the correct .neo format, and they are at the root of my SD card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs