NEO2 Pro - I bought this and saves on it are really finicky.

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by diegoisawesome, Jul 4, 2013.

1. diegoisawesome
    OP

diegoisawesome Member

Newcomer
    Dec 22, 2008
    United States
    As in, so finicky that half the time, the save won't write back to the internal ROM. I would have bought an EZ-Flash IV except that I wanted an RTC and this claimed to have one... but it didn't. And worst of all, nobody has any clue about this little-known cart or how to use it properly. I'd really love some clarification about the proper way to save on the thing.

I hear it works really well with their other products like the N64 adapter though, just not for its native GBA - and so I'm selling it too if anyone's interested.

2. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view location.
  3. diegoisawesome
    OP

diegoisawesome Member

Newcomer
    Dec 22, 2008
    United States
    The manager isn't my issue, though - it's the fact that saving itself on the cart tends to not work the way you'd expect. Like, I run a game, save it, then reset to get to the main menu, and when I try to put the save on the actual cart itself from memory, it gives me some ridiculous size like 20Kb instead of the 1Mb I know it should have. The rare occasions it does give me a 1Mb save file, whenever I reload it into memory, the save doesn't work. I've done everything the way Dr.neo himself from the Neoflash forums told me to do, but it never works.

4. how_do_i_do_that

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    Use another rom patcher

5. diegoisawesome
    OP

diegoisawesome Member

Newcomer
    Dec 22, 2008
    United States
    I'm not using a ROM patcher. The NEO2 claims not to need one. And using GBATA to create an SRAM patch (which I did to make sure that wasn't the issue) doesn't change anything either.

6. how_do_i_do_that

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    Moving a save from a flashcart to a retail cart depends on the game's save type your running.

The reason it claims to not need a patcher is because it automatically patches the game for you so it runs better on it's flashcart, which makes the game manager program a rom patcher.

Your always going to have issues with retail games that use EEPROM or any of the later Flash save types. Save data stored in EEPROM on a retail cart is nonlinear while a EEPROM save from a flashcart is stored linear, you can't use a save with that save type without modifying it to match before moving it to a retail cart.

The point I am trying to get at is you should not waste your time mixing save files from gba flashcarts with retail saves. There are just too many things about save type and formatting that you have to know well in advance just to do save swapping correctly.

The only save type that has no issues with a few exceptions is SRAM.

---

You should give up on trying to move saves around and just play the game as is on the flashcart.

Kouen Hasuki likes this.
  7. Kouen Hasuki

Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    To be honest mate, You should have gone with the EZ4 I have been able to move saves with that one as it saves reliably

8. diegoisawesome
    OP

diegoisawesome Member

Newcomer
    Dec 22, 2008
    United States
    I'm not trying to put saves on a real Nintendo cart - I'm trying to backup my save from the flashcart's memory to its internal ROM storage using the loader menu. And it refuses to save the correct save size (and the cart claims to have 2Mb of SRAM, so that's not the issue).

And yeah, I know I should have gone with the EZ-Flash IV, but I didn't at the time because this one was advertised as having RTC (which it loses as soon as the cart is powered off).

9. how_do_i_do_that

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
  10. diegoisawesome
    OP

diegoisawesome Member

Newcomer
    Dec 22, 2008
    United States
    Thanks for the link to the M3 GEP, but the RTC not working isn't my major concern right now. I would rather get my current cart working so I can use it as a standalone GBA cart (even if it doesn't have RTC).
    Worst comes to worst, I'll sell it to someone with a NEO Myth because it should work a lot better with one of those.

11. how_do_i_do_that

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You might have to sell it off. NEO gba flashcarts were not considered to be great flashcarts even back in the day.

12. Darkipod

Darkipod SELL ME GBA FLASH CART

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Central FL USA
    Can you explain what RTC is? Does it stand for real time clock? And how does that effect the game? I wanted a gba flash cart to play pokemon ROM hacks and such.

13. Kouen Hasuki

Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    Yes that's real time clock, and time of day events wont occur in Pokemon games that support that feature without it (for instance berry growing) you can complete the game however its just that some events will never happen

14. how_do_i_do_that

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    See post #9, has links and setup for what you need.

If you want to play it on a GBA/SP/micro, Nobody makes GBA flashcarts with RTC anymore.

15. Darkipod

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Central FL USA
    So only way to play them and such is with a DS. Well that blows.

16. how_do_i_do_that

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You can still get one from somebody else on the forum. You will need to make a WTB post in the trading section. If someone will sell you theirs will be another matter.

17. Darkipod

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Central FL USA
    I can still get a DS? Or a M3? I found a few NEO's new on a site and as soon as I get my new debt card back I intend to buy one, if only for collections sake. As for the trade forums, I have to some how make it to 100+ posts apparently. So Chances are the guy selling them will be out by the time I make it there. So oh well, I doubt ill ever get this working.

18. diegoisawesome
    OP

diegoisawesome Member

Newcomer
    Dec 22, 2008
    United States
    Darkipod, if you really want a NEO2, I can sell you mine. PM me and we'll talk.
    But then again, reading the entirety of this thread, you may not want to.

19. how_do_i_do_that

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    DS or DSL, can still be gotten on amazon or ebay.

M3? do not simplify the name. M3 is a label defined for a group of flashcarts. Specify what your referring to.

If your referring to M3 GEP, it comes with 2 extra shells, some sites only have one that come with only 1 shell.
    [​IMG]

GEP = GBA Expansion Pack

----

Just remember to consider the NEOFlash flashcart a blackhole for your game saves. Your not going to get any saves off the cart without considerable effort.

20. Darkipod

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Central FL USA
    I dont really want them off the cart, I just want to play my games with the cart.