Neo Geo X Gold to come this holiday season

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by ichidansan, Aug 15, 2012.

Aug 15, 2012
  1. ichidansan
    OP

Member ichidansan GBAtemp Regular

United States
    [​IMG]

If you grew up in the 90's and enjoyed the original Neo Geo, get ready for some nostalgia!

source: http://games.yahoo.c...-232755294.html

my first news post.

2. dgwillia

Member dgwillia The Bacon Lover

United States
    I'd be pretty damn interested in buying it if either....

A. It supported 2 players
    B. Also could play other emulated games
    or C. Could buy more Neo Geo games for a reasonable price (And possibly even Neo Geo Pocket games)

Otherwise, 200$ seems a bit much. Especially when i could likely just buy a Wii-U for 50$-100$ more during that same time period lol.

3. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    $200 for a portable NeoGeo emulator that has a very limited amount of pack-ins, No Magical Drop at all, and it's locked down to only playing NeoGeo?

Comparing the console price to the price of the original system and games is asinine. The NeoGeo and associated games were expensive because the tech was bleeding edge at the time, and the hardware on the carts were expensive.

This is just ones and zeroes on most likely standard hardware components.

4. ichidansan
    OP

Member ichidansan GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yea, but it's still interesting how after all this time, they are trying to get people to buy something from almost pure nostalgia. I mean, that would have to be the only way someone would buy this. It's almost like they are repeating past mistakes, and it just not worth buying with the alternatives that are out there. like dgwillia said, might as well fork out the extra 50-100 for a wii-u.

5. Psionic Roshambo

Member Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    This makes me remember NeoRageX those where some good times, I wonder if it runs under Windows 7?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NeoRAGEx

6. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    This is obvious directed at the Hardcore Collector. The average consumer can get their monies worth by purchasing a PSP and just emulate Neo Geo.

7. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    The price was originally rumored to be somewhere around $500, so it could definitely be worse.

8. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    The system looks good but it's not for me as the games I want on it like Twinkle Star Sprites and all of the classic Metal Slug games, I already have on other systems and are way cheaper on those systems.

9. TwinRetro

United States
    A hardcore collector would already have an impressive collection of games and the system itself.

This seems to fall into a niche crack. Too expensive and limited for gamers, redundant for collectors, and the games are too dated for the average gamer.

10. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    Who does that leave then? SNK wouldn't have made the Neo Geo X if there wasn't a market for it.

11. TwinRetro

United States
    Companies, especially SNK (You do remember how "well" the NeoGeo sold, right?) are not infallible. They make mistakes just like everyone else. Things like this happen all the time. All it takes is for one person in the chain to fail to do the appropriate research of their "target audience". Failure to do this means they may miss the mark altogether.

If they were to include more, or better yet, the entire collection of games, OR keep the same set of games, but lower the price, this would be a decent value.

12. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    Well I would love to put my hand on this and see for myself how good/bad are the screen and the buttons.
    I'm generally dissatisfied with the various scaling option on the PSP, and the DS isn't nearly powerful enough to emulate a Neo Geo.
    So if this thing is built with the original system specs and graphics in mind, and does a good job at displaying the games on a 1:1 resolution ( or add some decent filters ) I might be really interested in purchasing one. And if anybody could hack it to play other emulators on it...that would be awesome!
    This unit looks really sleek. And it has more buttons then the original Neo Geo ever had, like the L,R,L1,R1 ( or whatever they are called ).
    There might be more to it that just playing straight Neo Geo games...who knows.....

13. jimmyemunoz

Member jimmyemunoz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I wonder what the video output will be to a TV? HDMI would be nice, no? :)

14. TwinRetro

United States
    No. No need for high def, since the games were never in high def.

1 person likes this.
  15. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    If the joystick is any good, and uses original arcade parts, it might be worth the price of admission alone, I paid $ 199 for my Xarcade joystick by itself some years ago !